Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

We're cracking the FS9 city texture problem!

What textures? Names please (and folder). Otherwise no one can follow you.

I probably should try to explain.

I'm following this 1024 stuff here and elsewhere for quite a while. I'm willing to test this, and I'm confident I can (and have) the tools required.

However, without even a hint what FSX textures exactly can/should be converted, and what FS9 textures exactly they will replace it is all quite useless for me.

Jon would know more on this than me right now. This is one thing I'm working on as there are specific tiles I want for specific city textures and other GE Pro textures I'll keep. Right now Jon tracked down a file with converted default FSX textures to FS9 1024x1024. I for one don't want all FSX textures replacing my GE Pro, Zinertech, REX, and other world textures I have. I'll let you know when I have this nailed down or others can help with specific FSX city textures and conversions. This truly is a team effort if we all want to see this on all our machines faster. From there one of us can do a custom option at some point.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Jon would know more on this than me right now. This is one thing I'm working on as there are specific tiles I want for specific city textures and other GE Pro textures I'll keep. Right now Jon tracked down a file with converted default FSX textures to FS9 1024x1024. I for one don't want all FSX textures replacing my GE Pro, Zinertech, REX, and other world textures I have. I'll let you know when I have this nailed down or others can help with specific FSX city textures and conversions. This truly is a team effort if we all want to see this on all our machines faster. From there one of us can do a custom option at some point.

To make sure I'm clear, others are welcome to help out in finding what FSX textures are the city tiles for urban and suburban.  Those are the only ones that need converting.  Anyone can do this and place these textures in FS9 to test.  From there we know what we can do and go about the business of creating superior custom city textures that look better than the FSX default textures in FS9.  To be clear we need to make sure we're addressing night textures as well as those are separate files from the daytime textures... 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm sorry, but those pictures of the textures still look like poop. :wacko:

I just don't get WHY you FS9'ers are so STUBBORN with this. You guys always talk about how FSX users have "Endless tweaking" and blah blah blah, when ALL you guys do is this!!!

You always are saying "a real sim" you should be spending flying, yet all you guys do is figure out problems to make FS9 look like FSX, when in reality, it's not going to happen, and you guys AREN'T going to "revive" FS9 back into the community.

You act like FSX is the devil himself, and avoid it like the plauge, why don't you just TRY it out and see, and you will realize that all of these "false" statements ahout FSX don't exist, and that FSX isn't coded so badly after all!

You FS9'ers are obviously sick of how poorly FS9 LOOKS, it's quite obvious, or else you wouldn't be trying to "crack" the city texture problem, which really isn't a "problem", it's how graphics WERE back in 2003, and trying to change stuff to match FSX, is only going to make FS9 perform the SAME as FSX, and require the same hardware.

I know I sound like a troll, but i'm sorry, I had to say what was on my mind.

Hi Dillon

Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully once you and the other team members are ready, you can make a tutorial that others can use...

Cheers

Ian

I just don't get WHY you FS9'ers are so STUBBORN with this. You guys always talk about how FSX users have "Endless tweaking" and blah blah blah, when ALL you guys do is this!!!

You always are saying "a real sim" you should be spending flying, yet all you guys do is figure out problems to make FS9 look like FSX, when in reality, it's not going to happen, and you guys AREN'T going to "revive" FS9 back into the community.

You act like FSX is the devil himself, and avoid it like the plauge, why don't you just TRY it out and see, and you will realize that all of these "false" statements ahout FSX don't exist, and that FSX isn't coded so badly after all!

You FS9'ers are obviously sick of how poorly FS9 LOOKS, it's quite obvious, or else you wouldn't be trying to "crack" the city texture problem, which really isn't a "problem", it's how graphics WERE back in 2003, and trying to change stuff to match FSX, is only going to make FS9 perform the SAME as FSX, and require the same hardware.

You really didn't "have to say" anything- nor do you even have to be on this forum... If you don't want to "sound like a troll" then stop acting like one. This is a public forum, but it is a specific one where people who have chosen to continue using FS9 talk to each other. If you have no interest in FS9 then just ignore us. We truly don't mind if you do ignore us..... Truly.....

I'm sorry, but those pictures of the textures still look like poop. wacko.png

offtopic.gif

You are more than welcome to stay in the FSX forum, rather than come into this forum which is dedicated to users of FS9. You are entitled to your views, however we really don't care to read them. And what special info are you privy to that you can state "ALL" FS9'ers do this. Would be interested in knowing/seeing your source.....or could that just be your opinion (which I addressed eariler). As Ian said, if you don't want to sound like a troll don't act like one. And by all means, please do ignore us!

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Way to go new member, insult at least 20% of the forum right off the bat. Please leave and don't come back - we aren't interested in your uninformed opinions.

I know I sound like a troll, but i'm sorry

and post like a troll

and have an attitude like a troll

and can leave like a troll.

I had to say what was on my mind.

I know I sound like a troll

I, for one, applaud your self awareness.

Now, back to the FSX forum for you.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I guess what Lyle did not realize is that many of us took the plunge and decided that was not for us.

What do others care what sim we use? We're happy with it, and if some great people want to improve our experience, that is even better and I applaud you guys.

Broken record comes to mind.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Well as mentioned many posts back, it would be nice to see these direct in the sim!

So it would be great if someone could post where to go looking in FSX, and where to put the converted files in FS9...

This topic was going along just fine without your off topic input.  If you don't like FS9, please stay clear of this forum and don't ruin for those who do enjoy this sim.  Thank you.

Ok back on topic.

It's up to the user, but, it HAS been proven (quite recently) that FS9 will not display a landclass texture larger than 256 x 256. You can put 1024 landclass textures in FS9, but it will only display the second mip which is 256, nothing larger.

Like I said, it's up to the user but I really don't see the need to waste HD space and memory going with 1024 textures.

Will it look  better? Yes, it will, but it's not because of 1024 textures, it's because higher resolution textures were used to begin with.