Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

We're cracking the FS9 city texture problem!

You must be doing something wrong Jim.. Here are my before and after shots in the default 172.. :lol:

BEFORE

AFTER

RJ

I was wondering how long it would take before this tread started to head in the wrong direction. I don't think there's anything to be "bought" in this discussion. It may take awhile to work this out (if its even possible). That said, it always seems to become the same ol, same ol, Fs9 vs FSX. Gets quite tiring. 

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Nice one RJ :smile:

It's not about FS9 vs FSX, so don't try to play that card. It's about not looking at the world through rose colored glasses, and what gets tiring to me is that every time someone tries to take a view other than through rose colored glasses, somebody has to come along and pull the old FSXers bashing FS9ers card. I spent 8 years running FS9 and I was a diehard FS9er up until 2 years ago, I don't have any animosity towards FS9 or anyone who uses it, some of my fondest memories as a simmer were with FS9 and always will be. Bottom line is those screens are showing landclass textures of greater resolution than 256px, no if's and's or but's about it and FS9 is not capable of displaying resolutions higher than 256px on landclass textures - period. Whatever was done here, if those shots did in fact come from FS9, is beyond simply copying 1024px textures from the FSX folder and running the sim so something else has been done - a terrain.cfg hack, a .dll swap from FSX, something...  Also someone's gone to a lot of trouble with autogen since those buildings basically line up with the imagery and that's also not something that will happen without some kind of conversion of the associated FSX autogen or manually re-doing the autogen with the FS9 annotator.

As I said before, cut loose with the info so the rest of the FS9 community can benefit.

Not "playing cards" and my glasses aren't rose colored. Period. 

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Nice one RJ :smile:

It's not about FS9 vs FSX, so don't try to play that card. It's about not looking at the world through rose colored glasses, and what gets tiring to me is that every time someone tries to take a view other than through rose colored glasses, somebody has to come along and pull the old FSXers bashing FS9ers card. I spent 8 years running FS9 and I was a diehard FS9er up until 2 years ago, I don't have any animosity towards FS9 or anyone who uses it, some of my fondest memories as a simmer were with FS9 and always will be. Bottom line is those screens are showing landclass textures of greater resolution than 256px, no if's and's or but's about it and FS9 is not capable of displaying resolutions higher than 256px on landclass textures - period. Whatever was done here, if those shots did in fact come from FS9, is beyond simply copying 1024px textures from the FSX folder and running the sim so something else has been done - a terrain.cfg hack, a .dll swap from FSX, something... Also someone's gone to a lot of trouble with autogen since those buildings basically line up with the imagery and that's also not something that will happen without some kind of conversion of the associated FSX autogen or manually re-doing the autogen with the FS9 annotator.

As I said before, cut loose with the info so the rest of the FS9 community can benefit.

I'll PM you...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Anyone that wants to work with us in figuring this out and expanding on these textures let us know.

FS2020 

Be happy to do whatever I can.

You already have a copy of the textures, correct?

FS2020 

Definition of ALCHEMY

1: a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life

2: a power or process of transforming something common into something special

3: an inexplicable or mysterious transmuting

At this point, I'm pretty convinced we can apply all three definitions to this topic until further clarification is provided ..... although we might be able to rule out #1 as it appears to be shortening the life of some of us.

Definition of ALCHEMY

1: a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life

2: a power or process of transforming something common into something special

3: an inexplicable or mysterious transmuting

At this point, I'm pretty convinced we can apply all three definitions to this topic until further clarification is provided ..... although we might be able to rule out #1 as it appears to be shortening the life of some of us.

Definition of a Forum troll

1. Tries to turn a positive discussion into an argument that is intended to cause offence

2. Gets involved in discussions in which he/she has no positive contributions to make

3. Is unwelcomed by most members who just wish the person would go away and join a debating society - as far away as possible.

"At this point, I'm pretty convinced we can apply all three definitions to this contributor until further clarification is provided"...

How about this proposal? You've told everybody they are wasting their time and it's not going to work. Fine. We hear you. Now go away and annoy some other people for a few months. Do your troll thing somewhere else. And then come back and visit us, though please don't hurry. Six months minimum. If the project has been a failure you can tell us you were right all along. And if you are wrong, you can just quietly slip away and we'll never know. Or care. 

Thank you. Please don't trip on the stairs as you leave... Bye bye

Dillon, definitely count me in!!!! I've already seen the benefit using the night textures. And I can attest, it looks beautiful in a simulator with a near 220 degree visual wraparound.

You've told everybody they are wasting their time and it's not going to work.

It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that you really haven't read my posts carefully at all.

My main concern (as well as that of several others) is that transmuted material has been obtained but absolutely no one knows how this transformation was accomplished.  My last comment was a bit of "humor" in which we could enjoy "until further clarification is provided".  I could have used "smoke and mirrors", but being an engineer, went for slightly more high brow humor.

I also am interested in this topic, but refuse to endorse its "wonderfulness" until it can be conclusively shown that it can be reliably done and with what /which textures.  I am not a troll and am willing to take a lie detector test to prove so. This false accusation has caused me to be chagrined to no end.

I am saddened to see Mr. Kiwi take such a virulent tone  I wish him a good day and hope that he will eat more fruit in the future.

I need someone who knows allot about textures and creating scenery in both FSX/FS9. I will PM whoever is interested.

FS2020 

Great news for those here that are able to run 1024x1024 textures in FS9. In the FSX forum John Venema (Orbx CEO) has stated that the soon to be released FTX Global will quote: "replace the Scenery\World\Texture folder with our own textures (which are the same size as FSX default at 1024x1024)".

Unfortunately, I am one of those who is unable to get 1024x1024 to work in FS9. :(