Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

Fsx availability on another pc

Hi all..

I dont know if this sounds stupid or not but im wondering if fsx which I have on an ssd alone with addons will work on another pc by just plugging the drive.

Thanks

You can run some add-ons from another computer over a network, so yes it is possible. You need to list those add-on you are referring to.

Not sure what you mean by "just plugging the drive".

Ok I have my ssd with some addons REX,NGX and fsx included. If I put that drive on another computer that runs the same OS win7 64 will fsx work like in the old machine with no further installing or modifications?

Ok I have my ssd with some addons REX,NGX and fsx included. If I put that drive on another computer that runs the same OS win7 64 will fsx work like in the old machine with no further installing or modifications?

For all intents and purposes, no, it won't.  Ignoring the addons for now, there are numerous files and folders belonging to FSX that get installed in various locations in your user documents.  These range from the config files, to the FSX cache. When FSX starts, it looks for these files.

It is possible, however, to move all of those files and folders back into your FSX install, and create junction links back to them - I detailed a series of posts a while back where I did just that in order to have multiple, completely independent FSX installs on one computer. Theoretically, it would be possible after doing that to then have a batch file that would recreate the junction links on any machine you hooked your removable drive to... but it does require a decent amount of tech savvy, and wouldn't be for everyone.

If interested, the link to those posts is here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/403483-possible-fsx-multi-install-solution/

And that is just for the FSX install.  Addons are a while different story.  They all have their own methods of installation, some are possibly portable, some most definitely aren't as they all use various methods to prevent piracy.  If you're just using REX for textures, then it wouldn't be a concern - fire up REX on your main machine, install the textures and you're good to go.  If you're using it for weather then it's probably a no-go.  I have no idea about the NGX (don't own it) but I would assume a highly complex addon such as that probably would be impossible to separate from the pc it was installed on.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.