Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Flight 3rd party addon update thread.

I can see how offering the whole world in one shot to a level that would keep simmers happy is unfeasibly expensive, but the Flight model of releasing sceneries bit by bit seemed a sensible solution. And as Hi-Flyer says, there've been a few combat sims recently that have done a good job with small teams with not much money although covering small maps.

As for buying the Flight code, I think getting the money together might not be that hard with some robust project management. Kickstarter with extra backing from the big 3rd party devs to make an uber-sim; this site alone has over 200,000 subscribers and I'm sure at least half of them could be persuaded to part with $100 each if the big names were on board to make the sim we all want. That's $10,000,000 right there.

I'm also sure this would NEVER happen:(

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

this site alone has over 200,000 subscribers and I'm sure at least half of them could be persuaded to part with $100 each if the big names were on board to make the sim we all want. That's $10,000,000 right there.

That would be great to have happen, but what subscribers are you talking about? I see that there are currently just over 112,000 registered members. And of those, probably only 30,000 regularly visit, if that. Of those, probably about half of those would donate. Of those, not a huge amount would be willing to pay $100. All in all, it would be impressive to have the FS community raise $1 million.

Brandon Filer

buy the Flight code, and turn it back into its original format. 

and how much MS would want to sell the code if dont mind me asking ? 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

That would be great to have happen, but what subscribers are you talking about? I see that there are currently just over 112,000 registered members. And of those, probably only 30,000 regularly visit, if that. Of those, probably about half of those would donate. Of those, not a huge amount would be willing to pay $100. All in all, it would be impressive to have the FS community raise $1 million.

Curses. Mathematical accuracy... :P

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I can see how offering the whole world in one shot to a level that would keep simmers happy is unfeasibly expensive, but the Flight model of releasing sceneries bit by bit seemed a sensible solution. And as Hi-Flyer says, there've been a few combat sims recently that have done a good job with small teams with not much money although covering small maps.

As for buying the Flight code, I think getting the money together might not be that hard with some robust project management. Kickstarter with extra backing from the big 3rd party devs to make an uber-sim; this site alone has over 200,000 subscribers and I'm sure at least half of them could be persuaded to part with $100 each if the big names were on board to make the sim we all want. That's $10,000,000 right there.

I myself can dump a good chunk of $ if i see a solid program towards something like this .....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

and how much MS would want to sell the code if dont mind me asking ?

I have no idea and would not know who to talk to for a quote. Ms is a massive company and even getting a number would take months and involve many lawyers.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I also thought that releasing the world bit by bit (at higher levels of detail) was a reasonable response to the cold hard financial realities. It's pretty sad it never got a real chance, but maybe with these potential new tools something good can begin to build.

Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Kevin, Stonelance. As you may have heard MS has announced that there will be no new AOTD. This is sad and the end of all development from MS for the sim. As you can imagine the morale in the MSFlight community is a rather bit low. You two folks are the best and probably the last hope we have for this sim. I think the morale of the MSFlight community could use a morale boost now the most since the cancelation a year ago. Please post something on your latest efforts. We need it. Even if it's very little. We need to hear something positive.

Thank you

Moe

Kevin, Stonelance. As you may have heard MS has announced that there will be no new AOTD. This is sad and the end of all development from MS for the sim. As you can imagine the morale in the MSFlight community is a rather bit low. You two folks are the best and probably the last hope we have for this sim. I think the morale of the MSFlight community could use a morale boost now the most since the cancelation a year ago. Please post something on your latest efforts. We need it. Even if it's very little. We need to hear something positive.

Thank you

Moe

Apart from the odd glass of wine too many, my morals are fine. My morale on the other hand...

Spelling was never a strong point of mine. Sorry

Moe

Spelling error. Sorry

I think they get my point.

Moe

I have no idea and would not know who to talk to for a quote. Ms is a massive company and even getting a number would take months and involve many lawyers.

If the "Community" bought it who would own, control it and develop it - and who would pay for that?

Wow. Wonder how hard it was to set up the Aerocaches. I would have thunk it was designed to be fairly simple.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Would it be possible to create third party aerocaches?

The daily aerocaches are hosted on a server and transmitted over the network, so I don't think they are easily modifiable.  It appears as though it might be possible to add permanent aerocaches since there are some built-in ones in a SimProp file that ships with Flight.  I just don't know if when you collect them it will properly record the stats of them, or even count it as collected.  I would have to do some testing to see.

Wow. Wonder how hard it was to set up the Aerocaches. I would have thunk it was designed to be fairly simple.

Yeah... the previous community managers were obviously able to update them without the original team, and I know several people who worked on Flight would probably be willing to help them out if asked.  The issue seems more likely to me to be that they don't have as many people to help out behind the scenes.  Honestly I'm surprised they kept doing them as long as they did.   It has been over a year since Flight was cancelled, and they supported it much longer than it was officially live for.

Please post something on your latest efforts. We need it. Even if it's very little. We need to hear something positive.

I'm still working on stuff, but haven't made much progress over the last month or two because I have been working 60+ hours a week and haven't has much spare time.  I was able to update the installer to fix some issues (and is needed for the bigger changes coming once the aircraft conversion is working).  I also improved the animation script conversion such that almost every script in the three aircraft I have tried converting so far have worked.  I've also been working to make the conversion a little more robust and handle different scenarios, such as twin engines, older FSX planes, and even some work to convert jets into prop aircraft.