Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

Recommend High-performance Float Plane?

Greetings, 

I just found out that my De Havilland DHC3 from Premier Air Designs no longer works after my conversion to DX10. It comes up white and empty.

Since I just purchased Orbx Southern Alaska (to move further north from Pacific Fjords) I think a high-performance float plane is in order! As much as enjoy puttering around the lower San Juan Islands in the DHC2 Beaver, I think it is a bit slow for for the shores of Canada and Alaska.

Can anyone recommend a high-performance float plane that they enjoy? Single or twin is fine.

Thanks!

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Aersoft's Twin Otter is decent, but I'd wait for the new version - it's something I'm hoping will be great. The LHC Quest Kodiak sounds like it might fit your bill, and the Aerosoft Bush Hawk XP might be worth looking at. The Carenado C-185 is one of my favorite bush planes in FSX, it has a float version, but I wouldn't call it 'high performance'. Also, the A2A Cub is superb, but that one really won't win you any speed awards. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Aersoft's Twin Otter is decent, but I'd wait for the new version - it's something I'm hoping will be great. The LHC Quest Kodiak sounds like it might fit your bill, and the Aerosoft Bush Hawk XP might be worth looking at. The Carenado C-185 is one of my favorite bush planes in FSX, it has a float version, but I wouldn't call it 'high performance'. Also, the A2A Cub is superb, but that one really won't win you any speed awards. :lol:

Thanks, Jim - particularly for the clarification about the Cub...    ^_^

The Aerosoft video looks cool. I am a bit surprised that their marketing group allowed them to call it a TWOT, or is it specific to American slang that is implied?

The LHC Kodiak is a sleek looking beastie - nice!

Thanks for the response, Jim!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I've been Air Haulering my way around ORBX SAK in the Kodiak and highly recommend it.

No problem.  I should of noted however, that I have no idea how well any of the above work in DX10!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

No problem.  I should of noted however, that I have no idea how well any of the above work in DX10!

I have found no instance of a payware aircraft failing to work under DX10, which is reassuring moving forward. 

Totally off-topic, I am very much looking forward to the Prepar3D update (V1.2, I believe) which is rumored to use DX11. That would be quite an advance!

John Howell

Took the plunge and purchased the LHC Kodiak. Very nice, although I do have to admit I screwed the pooch on my first AP test flight - short little test from Kenmore Harbor to Victoria Inner Harbor, and when I threw the switch we just went around and around in circles.

Looking forward to exploring more of its performance envelope (I may do the float modification), and exploring Northern Canada and Southern Alaska in it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

John Howell

Though you said you already made a decision, I'd like to add the Aussiex Grumman Goose Redux package, which is an enhancement of the default Goose in many reagards, and it also includes a high-performance version. Besides, IIRC there's a modification of the Goose from another member of these forums in the Avsim Library.

Edit to add the links:

The modification in the Avsim Library: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=177453

The Grumman Goose Redux: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/633-ozx-grumman-goose-hd-redux-120/

Edited by FloG

Hi Florian, 

I have flown the stock Goose a couple of times, and found it to be a lumbering beast. Maybe the mods you suggest would perk it up. JATO, perhaps?    :lol:

Independent of that, I am strictly a GA guy. In fact, I recently "archived" all of the stock big iron from my hanger. The Kodiak, with its high wing and big windows, is a perfect perch to go exploring SAK. I just reloaded my Plan-G3 database to pick up the new regions, and man o' man, the place is float plane heaven!!!

Gotta fly!

JKH

John Howell

Nothing screams GA more than a Grumman Goose. That redux adjusted ftw flight model as well from what I remember.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That redux adjusted ftw flight model as well from what I remember.

As well as the higher powered engines. I think it a nice flyer as well as a beautifully rendered bird. The only frustration I have is a lack of dual throttles for on-water directional control. But that's just my set-up no fault of the developers.