Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Asiana B-777 Reported Down At KSFO

Just listened to the LiveATC recording. Its very hard to understand the pilot, but it does sound as though he declared an emergency.

Early tailstrike.. Does seem to be a low approach, but who knows at this point.

Just listened to the LiveATC recording. Its very hard to understand the pilot, but it does sound as though he declared an emergency.

Agreed

Reports saying the 28R ILS was inop today. So the Asiana pilots would've had to do a visual approach, which shouldn't have been an issue unless they just misjudged their altitude.

From the recording it seems like the pilot noticed something wrong and declared an emergency, whether it was mechanical or situational awareness is anyones guess at this point. 

From the recording it seems like the pilot noticed something wrong and declared an emergency

Hmmm... I somehow thought that ATC started issuing go-arounds before the emergency call. Have to listen again with headphones.

Russia Today reports 2 bodies are found by firefighters by now!  :(

No reports of fatalities yet from CNN.

Reports saying the 28R ILS was inop today. So the Asiana pilots would've had to do a visual approach, which shouldn't have been an issue unless they just misjudged their altitude.

I could be wrong , but I believe the landing was on 28L. A part of the gear could be seen lying next to the "L" on the runway.

Marc ter Heide

I could be wrong , but I believe the landing was on 28L. A part of the gear could be seen lying next to the "L" on the runway.

Yes, it was 28L.

ILS is not an issue judging by the weather in the pic.

Hope all are safe. Don't jump on the pilots yet, could have been a loss of thrust or micro-burst incident.

I find it hard to believe that a pilot could misjudge the touchdown zone to that extent, unless it were a pilot who recently transferred over from a smaller, shorter aircraft, though that should not have lead to such a drastic short landing.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Recent weather:

KSFO 061956Z 23004KT 10SM FEW016 19/10 A2981 RMK AO2 SLP095 T01890100

KSFO 061856Z 21007KT 170V240 10SM FEW016 18/10 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP098 T01830100

KSFO 061756Z 21006KT 10SM FEW016 18/10 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP097 T01780100 10183 20128 51005

KSFO 061656Z VRB06KT 10SM FEW013 SCT018 17/10 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP096 T01670100

KSFO 061556Z 02003KT 10SM FEW012 SCT018 16/11 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP096 T01610106

Marc ter Heide