Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

What do you use to manage your add-ons to FS9?

Guest MagnumForce

Having just trashed my FS9 installation I was wondering what software package others may use to manage aircraft,scenery,panel, etc installations...I've noticed several - some free, some shareware in the file libraries - any recomendations?

Guest daveg4otu

IMHO the best way is to use the Mark 1 Brain(Human model).............I keep all FS related downloads (zips ) in a folder that contains categories such as Aircraft, Scenery, Utilities etc.Aircraft that I have tried/used remain either in the FS9/aircraft folder - or if little used in a seperate folder "Reserve aircraft" on another Partition.They can be moved into FS9 in secondsALL addon scenery in use is in, and used from, a seperate Folder on another partition mainly to make it easy to trouble shoot if anything goes wrong.The only things actually added to the main FS (apart from the addon aircraft in use) are any extra gauges, effects or replacement textures (such as water etc). A backup of the basic FS9 prog is also kept on a seperate partition for easy replacement of anything that goes wrong.Lastly I keep a text log of any additions/alterations I make -again for ease of tracking down problems.Dave

Guest ThrottleUp

The best and most secure way is CD.I drag all the vital FS9 files into it such as aircraft, scenery, sound, texture etc and then fry it :)I've been adding new planes like Im possessed and if I have a crash I simply replace files from the CD into the FS9 directory on the computer.Other than that create a seperate folder called "FS9 Add-Ons" or something and install/unzip all new planes etc. into that because as many people have mentioned on this forum: installers overwrite existing files with older versions - before u can do anything!Buuuut like I said if the files are on CD or in a seperate folder on the hard drive u are safe :)

Guest daveg4otu

>>Other than that create a seperate folder called "FS9 Add-Ons">or something and install/unzip all new planes etc. into that>because as many people have mentioned on this forum:>installers overwrite existing files with older versions ->before u can do anything!> This is also good practice as ThrottleUp says - After a couple of bad experiences with installers back in FS2002 days - I never install addons direct to FS.One thing a lot of them do is overwrite the FS9 uninstall.exe - which may be awkward if you wish to uninstall without doing it manually.Dave

>Having just trashed my FS9 installation I was wondering what>software package others may use to manage>aircraft,scenery,panel, etc installations...>>I've noticed several - some free, some shareware in the file>libraries - any recomendations?> I recently bought "add on manager," but I am not very happy with it. I does manage your various addons, but it doesn't do a particularly good job installing them to FS9 - for me this is the main point: I hate the torturous unzip this to that routine that you have to go through. It's a flightsim, not an "install sim." But addon manager has problems with "nested" zips (zips within zips within zips. ricardo

Hey Mag, Chris is correct for a freebie manager FlightSim Manager is hard to beat. However, I will have to go with FS-AOM (FlightSim Add-On-Manager). Been using it for several years now. No one manager is perfect (none can read 100% of all zipped add-ons since there is no "standard"), but it reads about 99% and with the other 1% percent it tells you it can't rather than try and fail installing it.Rather than go through all the plus and minuses just download the free demo version (up to 10 aircraft)and play around with it.

Guest freequest

I use mostly a really big harddisk

I am still using JAB 2000 as the manager for aircraft, panels, and sounds. It is excellent. Freeware. Had it four years now and still great. Has separate "hangars" for a/c types, and is easy to use. I can email it to you if you can't get it anywhere.I don't use a scenery manager as I have v. ltd. scenery add-ons.JS

I second this. If you ignore the references to FS2000 everywhere this is a very good manager.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"