Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

747-8 Fatal error starts up after 2 years

One other question, when I change the FSX.CFG folder, will it effect my airport add-on's in the scenery library?

No, that is handled by the working Scenery.cfg (located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX).

I'm glad you are using a program like System Mechanic.  It helps people who are not computer experts like you and me.  I use Advanced System Pro and run it at least weekly to clean up the registry and get rid of old temporary files.

The fsx freezes that you described have happened to me on several occasions too (not with my current Haswell system).  It would happen in mid-flight even with my fps sitting at 40 fps.  I had a commercial real world program running and found that that program caused the freezes.  It was probably trying to get onto the weather server to update the weather or it had problems getting through my firewall or something but it was the weather program as I could duplicate it happening at the same spot every time the weather program was enabled.  If I enabled the weather through the default weather program, no problems.  The flight completed without an incident.  If I did get a freeze mid-flight, I would do a ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager and then end the weather program process.  Getting back into FSX after that was a chore but I eventually was able to do it and I was always able to complete the flight.  With my current system I'm haven't encountered this issue so I may be all wet regarding my belief it was the weather program trying to download updated weather.  It could have also been the commercial weather program or another commercial product going on the Internet during a flight to check to make sure my products were legal.

I would also recommend you download and run a Driver Scanner program.  It's freeware unless the program finds updates to your drivers.  If you want it to download and install the updates, you'll have to purchase first or you can take a look at each update and go on the Internet and find the updates yourself and download and install them yourself.  It's amazing how often drivers are updated by manufacturers of your motherboard and the Intel CPU, etc., as they find bugs and then issue a fix.  Windows Update does not have the power to update these drivers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Actually, lolo System Mechanics checks on drivers.  This morning a pop up came up stating System Mechanic was checking the drivers.

Cray Foley

Jim,  I went ahead and renamed the FSX.CFG file to FSX.orig and  opened up FSX, but it did not change it to the FSX default settings.

Cray Foley

I did manage to get to about 10 minutes on FSX before the fatal error showed up again.  But before it did,  I just discovered a new problem while trouble shooting the fatal error issues..  There is grass on the runway at KSFO on the FSX default.  This is the airport where I disabled an airport add on because it was giving it bad frame rates so I went back to the FSX default airport.   Is there a way to fix this?  I don't know if I need to start a new forum post and I did a search but cannot come up with anything. 

Cray Foley

Jim,  I went ahead and renamed the FSX.CFG file to FSX.orig and  opened up FSX, but it did not change it to the FSX default settings.

Hi Cray,

You renamed the wrong fsx.cfg and renamed fsx.txt instead of the real fsx.cfg.  In Windows Explorer, make sure you have in the View settings to show all details and in one column you should see fsx   then in another cfg.  That's the one to change.  FSX makes a FSX.txt file whenever you have a crash.

Best regards,

Jim 

PS

I'll do some research on your most recent post about KSFO.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I did go into AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/fsx.CFG.   There was only that one fsx.CFG file. Is there another location for the FSX/CFG file?  I am a bit confused about the "Windows Explorer" part.   When I go to fsx/CFG and open it up, the bottom appears.

Sincerely,
Cray

Cray Foley

I am trying to find "Windows Explorer" and cannot locate it on my Windows 7.

Yes, but, if you renamed it (or deleted it), a new fsx.cfg would be rebuilt.  This didn't happen so you must have renamed the wrong fsx.  You will definitely know when you start up FSX if the config is being rebuilt.  Windows Explorer is your computer directories and files.  If you have the Computer icon on your desktop you can double-click that and it will open up Windows Explorer.  If you do not have the Computer icon on your desktop, you can click on the Start button then look for Computer in the Menu and then double-click that.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Unfortunately that is the only FSX.CFG I can locate.   It does not appear to be anywhere else.

Cray Foley

Then you are not renaming it properly.  Do you have a fsx.orig in that folder?  I think the best thing would be to simply delete the config.  It will be rebuilt.  It's the easiest method.  It is like reinstalling FSX without reinstalling FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Attached are the only folders regarding FSX under Roaming/Microsoft/FSX.

Update:  I see what you mean,  On the right I can see CFG on one of the files.

Cray Foley

Yes, and that's the one you need to rename.  Just right click on FSX and click on rename and rename it to fsx.orig.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Sorry,  I did not mean to repeat this post.  I thought it did not get through but it was on page 2.

Cray

Cray Foley

Jim,

I went ahead and copied the original FSX.CFG file (just in case) and retitled the original FSX.CFG file to FSX.orig.  I booted up FSX and it did what you said, but I lost all my add on airline liveries, for which I had many,  and UT2 was not showing up.  Also,  the screen was stretched full screen, stretching all the scenery and aircraft and was unable to minimize it where I had about 1 inch on each side of the screen. I brought back the original file and replaced the FSX.orig file.   I did check again for the grass covering part of Runway 28L and it was still there covering a small portion of the runway.  I was hoping perhaps it would go away.  I tried searching for what would cause that in FSX airport default.  I wonder if it had to do with the airport add on after I disabled it?

Cray Foley

This is the airport where I disabled an airport add on because it was giving it bad frame rates so I went back to the FSX default airport.

Check your texture and mesh resolution settings under Scenery in the Fsx.cfg.  The mesh resolution slider moves the mesh up or down.  Also, it could be another addon you have installed like do you have UTX?  Or, it could be Ultimate Traffic 2 as some of the AI programs have AFCAD's for all of the airports so that the AI aircraft can properly takeoff and land. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, I adjusted the Mesh complexity slider down to 76, but it only partially worked. Half the runway is still covered. I tried to bring it down more, but it would not save any lower than 76. I tried adjusting the Mesh complexity also but made no difference. I don't think UT2 would have any effect on it because it never had in the past. I also don't have UTX. Now I am having problems with AVISM. It will not show I added pictures and state it failed, but when I look after posting, it shows the pictures, more than one! When I try and delete, it state, "Action failed". Sorry for all the repeat pictures. Cray AVISM is acting up. the screenshot is missing. I will try and ad again.

Cray Foley