Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Best seating position

I'm sure there are many favorite pilot's seating positions in this airplane,

that is why they make adjustable seats.. but I am 6' 3" and I like to be able

to look over the glareshield..

This works well for me (in the aircraft.cfg file)

[Views]
//eyepoint= -9.8, -0.9, 1.53
eyepoint= -10.02, -0.90, 1.785

Bert

I have always been a firm believer that the coders of fsx were short folks.  Every aircraft I get into I have to "raise the seat".  Like you, I want to be able to see over the dash, primarily on approaches but overall, just to have a good line of sight all around the VC.  From ehat i have seen of real world flights taken from the cockpit, pilots are always adjusting their seats.  I have to wonder just how comfortable those seats are.  I know it would kill my back to sit for hours on end in one position...glad I fly sim.  I can get up at anytime and grab some food or a beverage and even use the toilet when nature calls.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Not just adjusting their seat, but also constantly moving their head up, down, left, right as they lean to get the best view.

Notice just how low the side-windows are (this is the C210, but the 206 is similar). If you just sit rigid, back straight and look to the left, you'll just be looking straight into the side of the cockpit and won't see anything. For this reason, there's no single most realistic eyepoint. In real life, your head isn't fixed rigid in a single position.

What I tend to do with the larger Carenado Cessnas (C182 ,C185, C210 and now the C206) is keep the viewpoint quite low in the pattern, so I can see out under the wings. Then I raise the seat and move the view forward a couple of clicks just as I turn final because now I have the runway straight ahead. This is also how I do it in the P46T, Alabeo Staggerwing and others. The C337 is one of the best for visibility, since you're sitting slightly ahead of the wing rather than right under it.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP