Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

New system build has made XP10 my go to sim

I've had my new system built for a little over two weeks now and I use to find myself spending about 70% of my time in FSX and 30% in XP10.  The tables have turned a bit and I am now finding myself spending about 60% of my time in XP and a shrinking 40% in FSX.  If it were not for the thousands of dollars spent on add-on's over the past six years I'm sure it would be much less.  My new Haswell build clocked at 4.5ghz  16GB 2400hz ram paired with a Nvidia 3GB 780GTX has me cranking up the settings and really enjoying the sim.  Being able to set options like shadow details to "Melt my GPU"  60% clouds, Too Many Objects, and still hold 25-30 fps in dense scenery makes for an impressive environment to sim in.  I really had no idea what I was missing with the shadow details since before when I ran them at lower settings they looked "blocky" and odd. Now when I look down at the throttle quad in JR's CRJ 200 and see a crisp shadow line drawn across the pedestal I'm instantly reminded I'm not in the other sim. 

While I still miss a lot of the additional programs I have when I use FSX things like Accufeel, FSUIPC, EZdoc, Lattitude, etc I'm finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy it as much as I once did especially in a transitional or nighttime setting.  I find FSX still strong in a number of areas but in may respects it feels old, tired if you will, but I suppose that's simply because it is.  Even with the add ons I have that have given it new life over the years I find some things  like vehicle traffic a bit lackluster now even when they didn't bother me a few months ago.

The hardware utilization of XP10 is quite significant too in that running FSX on my new build really didn't show any improvement over my previous system and I was worried I would see similar "minor" improvements in XP10.  (My last system really was not a slouch running 2700K at 4.8GHz  8 megs of Ram and a GTX 670.)  I have been pleasantly surprised by the nice performance boost I was able to achieve and while that boost may not have been enough to justify the cost under "normal conditions" my boys wanted a gaming system for our bonus room and they got the other system in the deal. so it end up being a win-win. 

I'm really looking forward to the next year in XPlane and while it has not completely sunset FSX and wont for a bit longer, however I find myself really watching and limiting what I spend on it. Orbx Global would have been a day one purchase for me as little as three months ago and now I'm not so sure I'll even tempt myself by looking at it. As poor of an analogy as it may be FSX for me is like the Titanic 30 minutes after it hit the iceberg...It's still afloat, but taking on water and the inevitable is only a matter of time.

RE Thomason Jr.

XP10 has a lot going for it over these next couple of years as you said FSX can only say afloat for so long. Currently the add on market is still pretty focused on FSX, but there slowly starting to make there way into XP10. Once we see a lot more high quality add on's for XP10 that will help shift more people over.

Hunter Rogers

Fantastic to hear how Happy you are with The Sim and Your PC.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Same here. XPX is my main sim right now except for airliners that I want to frequently fly like NGX, AXE and Dash-8. Once there would be some high fidelity airliner addons (I've read good things about the ones available but I'm sceptical that they really do simulate day-to-day flying accurately and i can't understand how some of the "realistic" planes use those ugly default displays and such, that really kills the immersion of flying the plane in question...

But Jardesign A320neo looks like really good visually, immersive and accurate flight systems as far as i've read. Might have to pull the trigger on that one soon and get flying airliners in Xplane soon.

Same here. XPX is my main sim right now except for airliners that I want to frequently fly like NGX, AXE and Dash-8. Once there would be some high fidelity airliner addons (I've read good things about the ones available but I'm sceptical that they really do simulate day-to-day flying accurately and i can't understand how some of the "realistic" planes use those ugly default displays and such, that really kills the immersion of flying the plane in question...

But Jardesign A320neo looks like really good visually, immersive and accurate flight systems as far as i've read. Might have to pull the trigger on that one soon and get flying airliners in Xplane soon.

yes the Jar320 neo version 1.4 is amazing......pull the trigger :lol:   Later on the IXEG 737 will be our 1st true PMDG TWIN Payware, maybe even better who knows until it's released.

PMDG also has something in the works for XP10 but there taking there time to learn the system. It was said they plan to move there whole product line over to XP.

Hunter Rogers

PMDG also has something in the works for XP10 but there taking there time to learn the system. It was said they plan to move there whole product line over to XP.

i guess around 2014 we'll see the 1st release,  it will be amazing, probably a whole plane modeled since everyone is doing that in xp10 :Praying:

It was said they plan to move there whole product line over to XP.

Ohhhh , really , thats mere gossip.

At this moment their main bizz. is in FSX.

Yes they are exploring the world of X-Plane.

Yes they are developing for X-Plane.

Switching over to X-Plane ?

In the end probably yes ( seen from the X-Plane point of view.)

For now , its just.....................guessing.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

i guess around 2014 we'll see the 1st release,  it will be amazing, probably a whole plane modeled since everyone is doing that in xp10 :Praying:

As far as release dates i couldn't tell you but the the market is still pretty focused on FSX so it could be 2013, 2014, or even 2015. Were just gonnna have to wait and see.

Ohhhh , really , thats mere gossip.

At this moment their main bizz. is in FSX.

Yes they are exploring the world of X-Plane.

Yes they are developing for X-Plane.

Switching over to X-Plane ?

In the end probably yes ( seen from the X-Plane point of view.)

For now , its just.....................guessing.

Xplane:  We are very hard at work on a product for Xplane- and our long term vision is to bring our entire FSX product catalog to play in Xplane...  Austin and his team are working hand-in-glove with us to make this happen...  but it isn't a big rush project because we have to take the time to learn the platform- and we are implementing some technologies to make Xplane an easier transition for our very large FSX customer base...  When we get there- you will see what I mean!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/412418-looks-really-great-but-i-cant-buy-it/

Post #21

Hunter Rogers

yes the Jar320 neo version 1.4 is amazing......pull the trigger :lol:   Later on the IXEG 737 will be our 1st true PMDG TWIN Payware, maybe even better who knows until it's released.

As a matter of fact, i did :D 30€ for a nice detailed plane aint bad. Fired it up to check it works, but gonna do some real flying tomorrow. First impression is great thou  ^_^

I've had my new system built for a little over two weeks now and I use to find myself spending about 70% of my time in FSX and 30% in XP10. The tables have turned a bit and I am now finding myself spending about 60% of my time in XP and a shrinking 40% in FSX. If it were not for the thousands of dollars spent on add-on's over the past six years I'm sure it would be much less. My new Haswell build clocked at 4.5ghz 16GB 2400hz ram paired with a Nvidia 3GB 780GTX has me cranking up the settings and really enjoying the sim. Being able to set options like shadow details to "Melt my GPU" 60% clouds, Too Many Objects, and still hold 25-30 fps in dense scenery makes for an impressive environment to sim in. I really had no idea what I was missing with the shadow details since before when I ran them at lower settings they looked "blocky" and odd. Now when I look down at the throttle quad in JR's CRJ 200 and see a crisp shadow line drawn across the pedestal I'm instantly reminded I'm not in the other sim.

While I still miss a lot of the additional programs I have when I use FSX things like Accufeel, FSUIPC, EZdoc, Lattitude, etc I'm finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy it as much as I once did especially in a transitional or nighttime setting. I find FSX still strong in a number of areas but in may respects it feels old, tired if you will, but I suppose that's simply because it is. Even with the add ons I have that have given it new life over the years I find some things like vehicle traffic a bit lackluster now even when they didn't bother me a few months ago.

The hardware utilization of XP10 is quite significant too in that running FSX on my new build really didn't show any improvement over my previous system and I was worried I would see similar "minor" improvements in XP10. (My last system really was not a slouch running 2700K at 4.8GHz 8 megs of Ram and a GTX 670.) I have been pleasantly surprised by the nice performance boost I was able to achieve and while that boost may not have been enough to justify the cost under "normal conditions" my boys wanted a gaming system for our bonus room and they got the other system in the deal. so it end up being a win-win.

I'm really looking forward to the next year in XPlane and while it has not completely sunset FSX and wont for a bit longer, however I find myself really watching and limiting what I spend on it. Orbx Global would have been a day one purchase for me as little as three months ago and now I'm not so sure I'll even tempt myself by looking at it. As poor of an analogy as it may be FSX for me is like the Titanic 30 minutes after it hit the iceberg...It's still afloat, but taking on water and the inevitable is only a matter of time.

I see right where you're coming from. Just a few weeks ago I was waiting for FTX Scotland and rubbing my hands looking at the screenshots of FTX Global. Now only X-plane gets any use on my hard disk. Between my VAs (and FS Economy for the GA), I'm getting more value out of X-Plane than I ever got out of Orbx. No need to fanny around switching regions either lol.

I'm a fan of PMDG and seeing what only a couple of talented people can do with XP10 am sure that a talented team of developers like PMDG will produce stunning work in the near future, especially since they will be able to develop in a 64 bit environment. 

This forum and the simulation itself is really starting to gain some traction now IMO. It will only take a few more key elements to fall into place and I'd be able to remove FSX from my system altogether.

1. A mouse wheel knob manipulator plugin would be huge ( I don't need it so much myself because I can control most major functions through Go Flight and other hardware )

2. A Solid and easy to use AI program to populate the airports with traffic without killing performance. Something similar to UT2 or My Traffic World of A/I etc.

3. Kill the visual range limitation and sharpen the look from above 18K

4. More art assets and landmarks especially geographically correct ones for the region of the earth your in.  I like the autogen way better than anything I've seen so far it works great for most of suburbia USA but not so well in Europe or Asia etc.

5. Hire Pete Dowson to write a Hardware GUI similar to FSUIPC for use in XPlane that allows simple programing custom data refs  (this would be my request if I won the WED contest :lol: )

RE Thomason Jr.

I agree it will be pretty amazing to see what pmdg comes up with for XP.

Hunter Rogers

I had a very similar experience as described by OP. Bought a new PC about a month ago hoping to get improvements in FSX. Ended up getting nothing, so I tried XPX and wow, BIG improvement since my last PC. X-plane really has some momentum in the community now. 

Blaze, on 07 Jul 2013 - 5:42 PM, said:

5. Hire Pete Dowson to write a Hardware GUI similar to FSUIPC for use in XPlane that allows simple programing custom data refs (this would be my request if I won the WED contest :lol: )

have you tried XUIPC? http://www.tosi-online.de/XPUIPC/XPUIPC.html