Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Urban Maxx?

What do the XP10 users think of this product?  Is it any good?  Most of my XP-related flying is in the urban area of SOCAL while on Pilot Edge.  7.95 seems rather inexpensive too.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Have it but don't use it due to the textures being too large and repetitive for my taste, they tend to stick out like blotches on the landscape.

Some swear by them but I prefer XP10 without. For that price there's no harm in trying I guess!

the textures were good when xp10 was at beta 10.05 for me but now with new updated 10.22 goodies and OSM/Simheaven....I don't use it anymore.  The DEV is currently working on Seasonal Textures to be released this Winter.

Yes, I'd agree.

I liked it at first but the repetitive nature of the textures is noticable.

One thing I noticed when using HDR, is that the textures bleed through low vis conditions.

Anyway, for $7'ish, it's still pretty good and I'm sure the dev will continue to improve it.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Can't comment on the product, but...

I prefer to make my own photoscenery with G2XPL, takes a few hours and you can have Socal as it really is, you can even add night textures if you want.

At one point I had SoCal photo scenery from sim heaven. It looked cool with the high res inner city portions but outside was blurry. Plus the autogen didn't line up. Are there any projects with photo scenery and correctly annotated autogen?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't think so,

The outside was blurry because of how the photoscenery was made, G2XPL will make high res photoscenery at the LOD you specify, for the range you specify, for the remainder of the 1 x 1 square it uses very low resolution photoscenry to finish off the tile, that is easily fixed in G2XPL.ini

As far as the autogen, unfortunately we are stuck with either default Autogen (and it tenedency to place 15 storey condo towers everywhere) or OSM2XP which will give you very precise Roads, but may not have the autogen you are looking for(I don't know I will have to test it out myself).

or OSM2XP which will give you very precise Roads, but may not have the autogen you are looking for(I don't know I will have to test it out myself).

Not quite.OSM2XP has NOTHING to do with the roads. X-Plane itself uses the roads resources of OpenStreetMap. And the Autogen Buildings will be alligned to these roads. OSM2XP doesn't use the roads but the buildings resources of OpenStreetMap to determine the position and form of a building. Additionally it can use the Metadata of these buildings to determine the correct size and kind of building.

It works completly independent of AutoGen, but the problem is: some cities are very precisely entewred into OSM while other villages and even cities do not have even a single building. It simply depends on the informations that the users added to OpenStreetMap. But these OSM Maps are additional files that are available on simheaven.com too.

At the moment they are available in two flavors OSM buildings + Autogen or OSM only.. You would have to unzip copy these files (by continent) in your custom scenery too (in the ini file they have to placed below airports but above photo sceneries. And they depend on the OpenSceneryX library, so the single buildings don't look as well as the AutoGen buildings.Originally it was planned that the next generation of OSM buildings would be only available as one version but the new very ssophisticated features put a lot of pressure on the system, so it looks like there will be two versions too (OSM only for machines with less than 2 GB of VRAM and one version with OSM + Autogen if OSM doesn't have enough buildings), when they are finished (atthe moment these maps have to wait for some bug fixes in OSM2XP.

At one point I had SoCal photo scenery from sim heaven. It looked cool with the high res inner city portions but outside was blurry. Plus the autogen didn't line up. Are there any projects with photo scenery and correctly annotated autogen?

There's the long-awaited NorCal scenery by RealScenery (over at X-Aviation), but not sure whether autogen will be included.

It looks horrible. Like some have said, it looks out of place and blotches of strangely placed patterns, and at certain heights it even look like you're flying over a circuit board.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU