Sign in to follow this  
darem

RC 4.3 freezes FSX for some time on approach

I have a strange problem with RC4.3 under Win8: Whenever I reach the phase of the flight when I am handed to approach, most if the time when the controller says something FSX freezes for app. 30 seconds. When it resumes from hibernation, the controller repeats his request and it goes on like normal. However, this repeats with nearly every message I receive (not with those concerning just changing altitude, as far as I know.

FSUIPC is full version.

Anyone knows that and fixed it?

Thanks in advance,

Bernhard

For best RC performance be sure the display text option is disabled and also PreRecorded chatter disabled. Interact with AI should be on along with AI Chatter.

Be sure RC is declared exempt in any security package including the built in Win protection services.

fsuipc today is version 4.908 for FSX from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

You should be testing with just RC and FS running to rule out any add-on conflicts. It looks like there might be messaging delays between Windows processes and/or you are getting disk page swapping from lack of available ram space. RC and FSX are 32 bit apps running each in a 32 bit address space.

Avoid running RC (and also FSX) in any program files folder hierarchy as that passes through special security checks between applications interactivity.

As you are near departure or destination there could be an increase in ai and scenery models increasing the load on your main CPU and delaying interactive messages between apps.

Thanks for your answer, Ronzie. As I am a long time user of RC, I already did everything you suggested. Of course none of the programs runs out of C: - they reside on their own SSD.

This problem seems to be attributed to Win8 and its cooperation with RC.

You should be testing with just RC and FS running to rule out any add-on conflicts. It looks like there might be messaging delays between Windows processes and/or you are getting disk page swapping from lack of available ram space. RC and FSX are 32 bit apps running each in a 32 bit address space.

For now, FSX is rather barebone, so no memory issues to expect from there. Disk swapping wouldn't be a problem with a SSD-only system :-).

I have the stuttering also from the beginning if RC doesn't run in XP SP3 compatibility mode. The freezes are always massive, app. 30 seconds each. I found out something strange, though: Once I drag the RC window with the mouse around, the freeze is gone in an instance, but when I release the mouse button, it instantly returns.

I am really at a loss here. It was all fine under W7 64bit pro, but since my computer died, I got an new one with W8 64bit pro, and this is a real pain now. Everything else so far runs fine, it's just RC (and, to a little extent, PFE - there the stutters are just seconds) that gives me those problems.

Is it tied to audio when RC builds the audio commands from disk?

It sounds like something is stealing the focus from RC since when dragging the window around you do not have these stutters.

Are you using anything else that uses fsuipc that has the same problem? Is RC bypassed through all the Win 8 security goodies?

Here is a utility for examining resource loads on the CPU and RAM.:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

You can set it up to show disk paging as well as CPU loading by processes, physical ram availability, and other useful items. It now works with Win 8.

If you have a separate monitor run it there. If not a quick alt-tab to it. Run FS windowed so the proc explorer graphs and stats will show at its full screen Win bottom and top.

Win 8.1 will be released within two months working out some bugs and bringing back the "Start" button to the desktop. The notes for proc explorer state it has included a workaround for some kid of disk access counter bug in Win 8.

Anyway, although a technical diagnostic, it might show what gets activated to cause those long stutters.

I think I found the culprit: It's the VRinsight M-Panel. As long as I don't use it, everything works as expected. If I turn it on, I have the freezes. And it doesn't matter which USB-Port I connect it to or which COM-Port I assign.

Seems I will have to fly without it...

Thank you for finding that. Does VR Insight use SimConnect or FSUIPC to connect to FS to send and receive FS data it needs?

If it uses a polling technique in certain phases that could tie up communications between fsuipc (which also uses SimConnect) delaying RC response to keystrokes and return data from FS.

The latest fsuipc modules did have some improvement regarding timing conflicts so be sure yours is up to date.

make a log, instructions pinned to the top of the forum, and email me the log