Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

Filing with SID and/or STAR in Germany?

Gentlemen, is it normal to file your FP with SID and/or STAR when flying in Germany? I know the US way of doing this and lately I have seen this done on domestic German flights too?

What is the correct procedure for German airspace, anyone?

Appreciate it, cheers,

23.png

German SID/STARs are ATC assigned and very often Runway Specific (ie at Frankfurt, Runway 25L 25C 25R 07R/C/L Rwy 18/36 would all have different STAR's, all originating from the same 5 letter waypoint but with different numbers/letters at the end.)

Sticking with Frankfurt for example,The T911 Airway tracks from the North of Germany down to Frankfurt via ROLIS. This is common for aircraft travelling from the north of Germany to Frankfurt ie from Denmark & other parts of Scandinavia, northern parts of the UK, from the Western USA over the Atlantic north of the NATs etc.

Depending on the runways you may need the ROLIS1L arrival or the ROLIS1B arrival or the ROLIS1H arrival or the ROLIS1M arrival.

As this is a likely arrival for flights arriving from the likes of KSFO, and since flights from KSFO are 12+ hours long, it is unreasonable to know the runway you will be landing on at the flightplanning stage prior to departing KSFO.

Each of the different arrivals (1L/1B/1H/1M) go to a different runway, so you cannot predict which one you need.

If you check the charts carefully, you will see "Clearance Limit ROLIS". This means when you get your clearance delivery, you are cleared as far as ROLIS, and then technically you should enter the hold at ROLIS (160° inbound legs at FL110 left hand turns).

This suggests that your flightplan technically terminates at ROLIS (And that you only proceed via an arrival route when ATC give you a STAR clearance/Arrival details).

So your flight plan (as filed) would end with ROLIS and not ROLIS1L (and the actual STAR would be given/ammended by ATC)

An example:

EHAM - EDDF

EDUPO UZ738 NAPRO T150 ROLIS

<p>Actually, here at VATSIM Germany we are told to file the SID/STAR in our flightplan, even if you are assigned another sid/star from ATC later in flight. The clearance limit is quite often wihtin the STAR. See for example the STARs for EDDM from the South, the Clearance Limit is BETOS, which is after the STAR. You will, however, notice that many of the flyers in EUrope dont file a sid/star and thats ok, since in real life the dispatcher will file the route. He has to know all the different rules for flight routing - the pilot doesn't.</p>

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Thanks Chr, yes I have noticed variable practice and that it works both ways. Some airports have a SID/STAR system that is not depending on rwy/direction and others are. What I do now is to file the SID and STAR if I see from the charts / ATIS what they will be, if not I leave them out of my filed plan.

23.png