Sign in to follow this  
steve00961

rebuild scenery Database on client pc

Wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to rebuild the database on my client pc but RC is not accepting the path to the location of the Rc5 on my fsx pc. Everything is set up properly and all programs work together apart from this.

Cheers

Steve

A little confused on your setup description. Is RCv4 on your client over WideFS to an FS system host?

Have you started RC with a right click or shortcut set to run as admin?

Remember that in the setup described, you first run makerwys.exe manually on the host, then answer yes to the wide fs prompt and rc will then copy the files from the host to the client and process them.

Try running the copy command in a command window using the path to the host as used in RC. You can copy r5.csv from the fs host folder to rc's data folder as r4.csv. That will check the validity of your path. Be sure you have your network host and client user permissions set correctly.

Everything is set up right, after I click yes to wide fs, it then asks for path to where the rc file is but it does not accept the path I input. All other add ons work fine and RC does work itself. I just have not done the rebuild yet due to this problem.

What is your Win version please.

Here is a reply from a user who has WideFS:

"Looks like the forums are down at AvSim. Without being able to read the
problem I can only guess but the path from a WideFS PC to the main FS folder
for me would be \\flying\fs2004.

Where flying is the name of the PC where FS is installed and fs2004 is the
parent FS folder."

From supporter Ray Proudfoot.

I would assume that the path is the standard network construction with the full path prepended by the network ID of the machine.

You FS folder needs to have read\write permission for your client account and RC needs to grant read/write permission for your FS host account.

jd states it is fully documented in the manual.

Steve,

RC4 resides on my client named FLIGHTSIM

FSX resides on Drive D of my server named MAINFLIGHTSIM

The address I give RC4 to access R5.csv is \\Mainflightsim\d\FSX

And that works.

JJ

Many thanks for your replies, ronzie its win 7. JJ thanks for that. Im sure ive tried a path along those lines. Im certain this is not being caused by sharing/security issues on the network as all other add ons read/write to server folders fine. Currently at work for the next 11 hours will look back at both your suggestions once home. Im starting to think my pc (s) maybe chucking a "Gotcha" in the works that is right under my nose that im not seeing.

Regards

JJ:

"d" is defined as a shared folder so what does "d" stand for. Is FS on d:\program files\microsoft games and microsoft games is the shared folder or do you have d:\FSX and "d" is the shared drive root.

Don't forget the client folder above RC needs to be shared as well.

Ron,

" . . . or do you have d:\FSX and "d" is the shared drive root."

That's right but without the colon(:) after the letter 'd'. "D" is the drive letter on my flight sim computer (the server) and FSX is the folder containing MSFSX. As previously mentioned, when RC4 asks "Enter the path where r5.csv file was created", I input \\Mainflightsim\d\FSX

I've never encountered any issue getting RC4 to access the R5.csv file which resides inside the FSX folder.

JJ

is this working now? the instructions in the manual are quite good on making this work. when issues arise, they are almost always a result of permissions of the share, or the permissions on the folder being shared

jd

Guys Thank you loads for prompt replies and help you have given me. yes its works perfectly, just as you have all said it should, and i expected it to. The problem, i discovered was me. when it asked for the path to where the c5 file was, i was going to the location on my server pc, clicking properties to bring up the path where it was located. however, i was typing the path from the details window in properties, not the sharing tab, my bad lol. sorry to have wasted everyones time through my own stupidity. very grateful though for the help.

steve

Networking especially while not as uncommon as a few years ago is still a bit strange especially since there can be multiple ways to designate a share.

Now that you know what the path is, save it in a document with a shortcut on your desktop that you can copy it from and paste it into your RC screen rebuild dialog. It can be a long path to type so this saves typing and typing errors.

The default key-combos are for copying the highlighted text in your document are ctrl-c and pasting in the dialog box ctrl-v (press and hold ctrl first). These have not changed for Win 7.