Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

Honeywell SVS (Synthetic Vision System)

Hi all,

Are there any addon planes that have SVS simulated? I think only certain Gulfstreams have it installed as standard in RL (I'm sure I'll be corrected on that very quickly  B)  )

It looks very cool and would be a great (if enormously time and CPU-cycle consuming to both create and run) addition to any glass cockpit. It would also make flying in places like SAK more interesting, being able to get into terrain in 3d. I'm a sucker for a gimmick, I know I have TAWS, but it looks better :P

If any gauge devs are feeling like they need something to get their teeth into; I'll buy it for sure!

Thanks

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

No, and it's highly unlikely we'll ever see SV in our lifetimes, particularly in FSX. It may at some very future point be something feasible in P3D vX.X, but I'm not going to hold my breath! :LMAO:

Yes, FSX and P3D do have a world wide mesh, but the way it is scattered (dis)organized, and given that it is not addressable by the gauge system means that another coherent mesh database would be required; one specifically tailored for the needs of an SVS. :Hypnotized:

FLIR is of course another case entirely. In fact I've even seen a FLIR working in FSX, but it is extremely complex and resource intensive.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, FSX and P3D do have a world wide mesh, but the way it is scattered (dis)organized, and given that it is not addressable by the gauge system means that another coherent mesh database would be required; one specifically tailored for the needs of an SVS. :Hypnotized:

And that is a problem in what way? Other then being a big, honking file. But it's more logical to read from a file, versus the many scattered around FSX and it's add-ons.

Thanks, Bill. Straight from the "horses" mouth (no offence meant!)

I love it when I get a reply from Bill. You know it's a ) right and  b ) no nonsense.

I'll wait for P3d v 10.0 (or something)

thanks again and regards

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

No, and it's highly unlikely we'll ever see SV in our lifetimes, particularly in FSX. It may at some very future point be something feasible in P3D vX.X, but I'm not going to hold my breath! :LMAO:

FLIR is of course another case entirely. In fact I've even seen a FLIR working in FSX, but it is extremely complex and resource intensive.

Im going to have to disagree with you here considering that I have found the trick necessary and am working on a proof of concept. Although I do agree that I would have to set something up to create an additional elevation database from the FSX one for the SVS gauge to chew on...

P.S. I mean no disrespect to Bill who I work with almost every day and who was one of the major mentors in my gauge programming journey...

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Jon... You talk FAR too much.  This stuff is supposed to be kept QUIET.  Sheesh.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

:lol:

Don't mind us. We won't tell anyone.

I'll shut up and wait.

:Whistle:

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Ok time for a thread revival to answer the OP's question. Since there are some other efforts out there its time to post the evolution this sideline project went through....Aint Honeywell (or Rockwell Collins or any specific display) yet but getting there. Special thanks to my good friend Federico for helping me access the terrain data. Now the true power of D3D11 gauge tech can be shown. Except for the first shot, most of the tests are being done at or near Riverside airfield in Deming, Washington state (ICAO 4WA8) with OrbX PNW. I should point out however that it doesn't matter what terrain addons you have installed. The elevation data is snapped in real time straight from FSX on the fly. Although the displayed resolution may be altered (3 arc second here or roughly 92.77 sq m per quad) the sample points will match up identically with what FSX is showing outside.

Early tests with wireframe although there were some positioning errors that had north/south flipped.

SVS_zps74b8d2f3.png

colors started to appear.

http://imgur.com/llmYdAd

llmYdAd.png

Draw distances extended

http://imgur.com/mCiOIvg

mCiOIvg.png

And runways starting to appear

http://imgur.com/PoHtV9j

PoHtV9j.png

Next steps are adding water bodies, airport markers, and HITS.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Awesome!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Im going to have to disagree with you here considering that I have found the trick necessary and am working on a proof of concept. Although I do agree that I would have to set something up to create an additional elevation database from the FSX one for the SVS gauge to chew on...

P.S. I mean no disrespect to Bill who I work with almost every day and who was one of the major mentors in my gauge programming journey...

Never mind... I see you did indeed use a hack. LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hacking into the sim doesn't count in this discussion. The sim, as designed, doesn't support SVS. Period. To get SVS into the sim would require either one hack into the core sim (a truly bad idea for various reasons) or to use an external database and do one's own 3D rendering for the SVS display.

Im not going to get into a discussion on reading data from FSX memory while running.... The true leap forward here is in the power of the D3D11 (when tied into FSX textures) to render 3D scenes with little to no impact on performance on the primary game engine.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Im not going to get into a discussion on reading data from FSX memory while running.... The true leap forward here is in the power of the D3D11 (when tied into FSX textures) to render 3D scenes with little to no impact on performance on the primary game engine.

I will. You can't do any of this without hacking. Period.

As one who has to deal with the consequences of said hacks... I really wish there was less of that. Especially in Prepar3D.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69