Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

Honeywell SVS (Synthetic Vision System)

Ed: the definition of hacking is when you CHANGE and or modify the code.  We are not, in any way, changing anything with this.  We are READING the code.  That is not hacking.

The implication that you're making here is that we're somehow stealing or breaking something such that it won't work.  That could not be farther from the case.  We are, in fact, trying to make the FSX and P3D experience better.

And finally, I cannot, for the life of me, see the consequences of "said hacks".  Especially for you...

Finally, we are not the only ones "reading" the code.  Many other devs (higher end ones) are doing the same thing.  Why?  Because it allows for greater control over what and what not our products can do.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Really interesting to see.

Could be the basis of a new flight sim there :) .

Regarding the mesh it may be worth noting that PMDG use their own DEM to do their terrain mapping display in the 737. It can be found in your FSX/PMDG/DEM folder (1.44GB of data by the way).

www.antsairplanes.com

Ed: the definition of hacking is...

Uh... guess you have your own definition of things? Hacking means you find ways to get access to information/data in an application that is otherwise not legitimately available. It can also mean taking code completely apart and making changes to it to override base behavior.

As for how it affects me, I'll simply agree with you that you have no idea.

Anyway... this is a sidestory of the original topic and I'll leave the topic alone at this point.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Jon, this looks like some amazing work.  Thanks for being one of those who pushes limits - the lone negative comment absolutely mystifies me.  Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Scott

Thank you Ed.  Exactly what I wanted from the get go.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Thank you Ed.  Exactly what I wanted from the get go.

LMAO

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Have you  seen the websimconnect version? Looks interesting too:

Barry Friedman

Yep. He has done a pretty good job.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Have you  seen the websimconnect version? Looks interesting too:

At 7:40 the video mentions the possibility of integrating Google 3D maps even with all its buildings of the available cities.

Exactly that is what I was talking about with my former flight instructor when I visited him in Alicante (LEAL) last week. The city and the mountainous area around it looked really great in Google 3D Maps "flight mode".

Amazing: Probably the invention of SVS for FSX/P3D open new doors for visualizations like ASN's new approach to WX generation (wx themes IIRC) made the integration of a WXR finally possible...

Big thanks to all people out there combining their skills and enthusiasm for such amazing innovations. :rolleyes:

BTW: in fact the examples of the SVS and WXR innovations are like the "inverse depiction of reality". What you see on the screen is what you will get in reality... B)

so, this is the thread that brought me some traffic to my youtube channel ;) Thanks fshobby for putting my work in the context.

Nice work Jonathan !

interesting discussion about tricks and hacking, Good I have nothing to confess about as I used terrain database of the real world :)

As for the tricks Naruto is referring to (I used two major tricks, I guess they are very similar to Naruto's though using different technology), in fact it's not a rocket science, but as it's part of the mine and his know-how I will not say a word but it's far from any hacking so to say no matter what definition we take ...

At 7:40 the video mentions the possibility of integrating Google 3D maps even with all its buildings of the available cities.

Indeed, once google moved away from google earth plug-in and introduced webgl version of theirs maps it should not be that difficult, however as I am very busy with other "tricks" I have no time to do it, but as I am tempted to see the results I will do so in the near (I hope) future ....

Cheers,

Marcin

Indeed even the way the terrain data is retrieved is far from hacking. Its just a case of calling an undocumented function that the sim itself calls all the time.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Indeed even the way the terrain data is retrieved is far from hacking. Its just a case of calling an undocumented function that the sim itself calls all the time.

Isn't it in the P3D SDK? I swear I've seen some method that returns terrain or something in an SDK... or am I going mad... :)

Either way, looks good

Isn't it in the P3D SDK? I swear I've seen some method that returns terrain or something in an SDK... or am I going mad... :)

Either way, looks good

There is but last I recall it had some limitations that get in the way, and of course its not available for FSX. I haven't personally tried it yet because I wanted to get it going first in FSX. The code that was provided for me by my friend doesn't only retrieve terrain elevation at any point and resolution I desire, but also surface type (concrete, water, grass, etc etc etc) and in a way that has absolutely no impact on framerates. So its a bit of a preferred choice over the P3D simconnect.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Interesting stuff, I read the FSX FDE has to call the terrain engine to check whether it needs to be adding ground effects. Makes me wonder if the Q400 has to use this same function to feed into the JSBSim FDE.

Amazing what devs have to do to work around the limitations and unexposed API's in FSX (ASN is another example). Hopefully P3D will be filling in the missing pieces. It's one thing to go digging around data structures on a stable platform like FSX but not really workable or stable on P3D since its internals can be constantly changing.

Barry Friedman

@WebSimConnect,

I downloaded the 1.3 Suite, tried to follow all the installation directions for SVS but simply see an Initializing... message inside the Blue Outlined box with a black interior.. I am using Chrome Version 38.0.2125.111 m if that makes any difference, Nvidia Driver 344.48 as well. Windows 7. Nvidia 660ti.

Any Ideas? (Not sure about the port 80 issue)

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2