Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I guess it's fair play to give a warning....

Sesquashtoo,

I can absolutely relate to your original post because the initial reason I wanted to give XP10 a shot over a year ago was the frustrations I would have with FSX. All of the tweaking and odd crashes etc. I too have literally thousands of dollars in FSX add ons and early on (while learning the ropes in XP) those additions would drag me back into the FSX environment. While I understand FSCamp's position because I do sorely miss a good AI program and the bulk of my scenery I too have been using XP10 more and more. I just recently built a new Haswell based system and got XP 10 up and running superbly on it. After that I spent a little over two full days installing FSX and the majority of my add-ons (you know the ritual well I'm sure) and have hardly flown in it. A couple of test runs and some short hops but it just didn't hold the same feel as before.

RE Thomason Jr.

Ok... what's the point of bringing up FSX in this thread??

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Because many of us are ex-FSXers and our experience might help those still tearing their hair out with it understand that there is a viable alternative.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Sesquashtoo,

I can absolutely relate to your original post because the initial reason I wanted to give XP10 a shot over a year ago was the frustrations I would have with FSX. All of the tweaking and odd crashes etc. I too have literally thousands of dollars in FSX add ons and early on (while learning the ropes in XP) those additions would drag me back into the FSX environment. While I understand FSCamp's position because I do sorely miss a good AI program and the bulk of my scenery I too have been using XP10 more and more. I just recently built a new Haswell based system and got XP 10 up and running superbly on it. After that I spent a little over two full days installing FSX and the majority of my add-ons (you know the ritual well I'm sure) and have hardly flown in it. A couple of test runs and some short hops but it just didn't hold the same feel as before.

Blaze, your experience has mirrored mine.  I have tried a few times to 'check back in' to FSX, but the pastel color of the world, the CTD's  and the lack of the 'night life, supreme!', lol....that XPX dishes out, has me running for the hills back to XPX.   The intent of my post, (and I see quite clearly that many have seen the drift...) as you clearly saw...was that if an FSX user COULD get past the hefty investment (past tense), he or she has in the platform, and venture out to XPX..WITH TAKING THE TIME TO LEARN THE DIFFERENCES.....the rewards would be great, and CTD's running 64 bit would only be a bad taste left in the simming past.  Time and time again, those not bothering to even check out XPX other than a cursory glance, are not doing so....because of the $$$'s posted to FSX.  I think that they are doing themselves a total disservice, if that is the case.....

Because many of us are ex-FSXers and our experience might help those still tearing their hair out with it understand that there is a viable alternative.

Touche!

Mitch

The OP started bringing it up. It will lead to another battle, as always.

What scotchegg said....

The OP started bringing it up. It will lead to another battle, as always.

I doubt it, Ralf. It was not a this camp, or that camp post. It was, don't let what you have already spent on one platform, be the ONLY filter for you not to try another.....

That kinda post....

I think I got what you mean. But some pre-converts, new-converts, part-converts or never-converts might misread it.

Yup. Gotta agree with ralf, it reads like a pure troll post. Saying 'don't let the thousands you've spent limit your options' is miles away from 'if you're happy with CTD's' that your post actually says. Is going to wind up people, and it looks deliberate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. XPX doesn't need us to bash fsx to make XPX look good. XPX is good, so lets leave fsx in the forum it belongs.

The only situation that causes me to oom ctd is the NGX into a payware airport with large amounts of ai traffic. If you get ooms with a relatively simple aircraft something is wrong with your fsx setup. I had no problems at fsdt Vancouver. I've never had any ooms in orbx north america. I've flown ga for several hours doing fseconomy without restarting fsx and no ooms. Again if you get ooms in anything other than the ngx or a similar vas footprint aircraft you're doing fsx wrong

Yup. Gotta agree with ralf, it reads like a pure troll post. Saying 'don't let the thousands you've spent limit your options' is miles away from 'if you're happy with CTD's' that your post actually says. Is going to wind up people, and it looks deliberate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. XPX doesn't need us to bash fsx to make XPX look good. XPX is good, so lets leave fsx in the forum it belongs.

FSX has been the standard for such a long time it's natural to draw comparisons. A lot of people who have both enjoyed immensely and been very frustrated with FSX came to XP by drifting into this forum and seeing the experiences of other people who decided to not let the 1000's they'd already spent on one sim stop them trying a potentially more rewarding experience.

It's natural for things to be compared to the defacto standard and it's getting a bit wearing to see these 'stop making comparisons!', 'Talking about problems in other sims is trolling!' accusations flung around. Some people find the comparisons very helpful in making choices and we shouldn't suppress them just because some don't have the maturity to take them in the spirit they're made.

At least follow protocol and use the report button at the bottom of the post and leave it up to the mods to decide what's trolling please.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I've got still got that old copy of FSX on my drive somewhere. Its full of Orbx add-ons which makes a rainbow look colourless.

Sometimes I fire it up because it reminds me of my Spectrum 48k days and the loading times which went with it. I even play my Spectrum load sounds in the background.

Oh....how it brings back childhood memories.....

Once I've finished my Sunday dinner I go and check back on FSX to see if it's loaded. If I'm lucky, I won't get a load error, LOL.

Then I'm in and I'm flying. I just love all those scenic views where I can watch trees grow from nothing to a full tree in half a second.

Pop....there's one!

I was going to get a train simulator, but I thought FSX would do just as well :P.

Actually; don't get me wrong; I'm rather fond of FSX as it has a great deal of 'choice'. That's FSX trump card and it's played it so well for so long. AS2012, Opus, REX and A2A are just some of the great add-ons available.

I really do love the A2A aircraft which I've purchased, as they are truly amazing, and some of the Orbx scenery is...in places quite stunning. But..... she is starting to show her age. Sure X-Plane has quite a few glaring omissions; but it really does feel like the better simulator now. Out of the box X-Plane is just amazing!

Even something simple like the camera views in X-Plane are a paid add-on for FSX.

I really do enjoy both, but as time has progressed, I've found that FSX is taking much much more of a backseat (even with fancy add-ons).

I'd always choose two sims over one, but if I had a choice of one it would be X-Plane.

Dom

FSX has been the standard for such a long time it's natural to draw comparisons. A lot of people who have both enjoyed immensely and been very frustrated with FSX came to XP by drifting into this forum and seeing the experiences of other people who decided to not let the 1000's they'd already spent on one sim stop them trying a potentially more rewarding experience.

It's natural for things to be compared to the defacto standard and it's getting a bit wearing to see these 'stop making comparisons!', 'Talking about problems in other sims is trolling!' accusations flung around. Some people find the comparisons very helpful in making choices and we shouldn't suppress them just because some don't have the maturity to take them in the spirit they're made.

At least follow protocol and use the report button at the bottom of the post and leave it up to the mods to decide what's trolling please.

I agree with some of what you've said, but comparisons aren't helpful. You can compare x plane 9 with fsx because their contemporaries, released at around the same time. XPX is a much different animal. It's design philosophy is very different to fsx, plus, comparisons to a 7 year old sim helps no one.

As for the trolling claim, If the OP hadn't have made a huge point of saying it wasn't a troll post, I wouldn't have posted my reply indicating I thought it was.

I know comparisions are inevitable, but we've had thread after thread that have done so. Almost all of which have resulted in a thread lock. The last one was just a few weeks ago and it ended up with one poster being asked to leave voluntarily for a while. That was an fsx user annoying guys here with a persistent issue that x plane suffers. People complained and we moved on. So it doesn't seem fair to turnaround and bash fsx for its faults if we cry foul when people do it to XPX.

I'll leave it at that, and please let's not let things degrade from here. Lets keep smiling :-).

Best wishes,

Jess B.

Or we make a dedicated VS thread where anything goes. The warriors among us could fight it out there, and the rest of us could read for good entertainment.

Or we just behave, like Jess suggests.

Or we make a dedicated VS thread where anything goes. The warriors among us could fight it out there, and the rest of us could read for good entertainment.

Or we just behave, like Jess suggests.

Ok that made me lol.

+1, excellent advice!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo