Sign in to follow this  
EdubFlyer

50kt crosswind?

Listening to news coverage, a B777 pilot said that the "triple 7" has no structural crosswind limit and can land in a 50 knot crosswind. Is this true? Can't wait to try.

Eric W

Listening to news coverage, a B777 pilot said that the "triple 7" has no structural crosswind limit and can land in a 50 knot crosswind. Is this true?

One thing to keep in mind is that many planes out there don't have hard set crosswind limits. Pilots in the certification process will fly it in various conditions and a max demonstrated crosswind will be set. It is not a hard limitation, rather it's there to state "here's the maximum crosswind we tested it in and managed not to break it."

There are a lot of "not recommendeds" hanging around, though, like:

"To ensure adequate ground clearance and maintaining adequate control margin, sideslip only (zero crab) landings are not recommended in crosswinds in excess of 31 knots."

Kyle Rodgers

The maximum demonstrated crosswind component for the B777 was 38knts - most airlines I see use that rounded up to 40knts. Some companies will vary the number for Takeoff & Landing by adding the Runway surface condition - can be reduced if runway is wet.

Tailwind can be no more than 10knts (some companies may vary that - for example, Cathay use 15knts). I've heard of a 25knt (HW/XW) hard limit for CAT2/3 Autolands - but then seen other companies saying there isn't one. 

So at the end of the day, I think it just depends on the Airline for the most part. So many different rules here and there per company, it's hard to pinpoint exact numbers. It'll always be up to the crew on board - I think some skippers would be more willing to try stronger winds than others if all the other factors meet for the approach/landing.

From what I hear, the B777 is one of the most stable aeroplanes in strong crosswinds. Does a much better job than the A346! 

no crosswind limit with that huge tail area even in wet cond. ?i doubt;that would kick aircraft out of the rw with a 50kt cross

Luke's right.its all about the airlines policies and op. Manuals

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

25kts autoland crosswind limit, max demonstrated 38kts. Whenever I see one of those news channel experts come on TV I change the channel..

Rob Prest

Whenever I see one of those news channel experts come on TV I change the channel..

Yep.  So far, I turned on CNN because a friend said they were looping the video some guy shot.  As soon as they (news people) started speaking about it, I moved on.  It's sad what they, and we ourselves (at least those "professionals" supposedly on our behalf), do to the industry by not getting facts straight.

Kyle Rodgers

I find news anchors humorous when they explain these things. All the arrogance at a 5th grade level.

Anyway the person to whom I was referring was calling in to a local radio show and he claimed to be a 777 pilot for FedEx. He said the plane is a pilots airplane .

Eric W

Eric-

Technically I think the airplane is the airline's airplane.  :ph34r:

The pilot just THINKS it is the pilot's airplane. 

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Unless the payments aren't made in a timely manner, then it's the bank's airplane..........

Eric W