Sign in to follow this  
Guest tgabriel

Boeing Cockpit Questions

Normally I'm pretty good with this, but...In this picture, what are the two "extra" displays mounted on the outside edges of both cockpit stations?http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=3227...atic=yes&size=LGiven that this is the first 777-300, could they be there for systems monitoring and diagnostics above and beyond the normal systems? They appear to be displaying Windows-based desktops. Also, in the same picture, the classic Boeing "seat cover" fabric/material is used. I've seen it on all Boeing's I've ever flown in, and in all pictures. What the heck is it?! Some sort of sheep or lamb wool? Curious,-Greg

Guest NPreston

I saw a tid bit of information a while back about these displays in the cockpit. They are actually small computers similar to that of a PDA but on a larger scale. They can be used to download weather data, check e-mail, and believe it or not, even surf the internet. They were originally ment for means to ease communications and reduce workload of both pilots.As for the seats I think they are a spun cotton, I may be wrong on that but they do look comforable. :-hahNick :-abduct

Hi AllJust wondering if that isn't a picture of a pre-acceptance 777-300 still going thru checkout-those are the first screens I have seen like that in a 777. They might be part of test equipment since the tie-wraps on the columns look cheesy.At NW the joke was you can tell the 757 drivers by the amount of lint/fuzz on the uniform slacks.Tim757

Guest tgabriel

Seat coverings are, indeed sheep skin covers. Good for you when you sit for long periods. Also, the monitors are a laptop adaptation. You can even see the Windoze desktop with icons. They look similar to the new interface that the Tablet PC uses. I'm pretty sure they are not tablet PCs, just a similar looking monitor construction.