Sign in to follow this  
tatin 98

any tips how to improve fsx fps and performance?

Hi,

does any of you have any tips of how to improve fsx frames per second??? i´m really crazy about this, because when flying with the pmdg 737 NGX in a default airport i get no more than 11 fps inside the cockpit. BUT, when flying and into an aerosoft airport, such as zurich, i never exceed 7 frames per second inside the cockpit.

Thanks, 

tatin 98

Flying NGX into payware LSZH is very demanding, you need a fast computer with overclocking and then tune your OS and FSX settings to get good FPS. Pinned at the top of this forum is a software/hardware guide with lots of information regarding recommended hardware, software and tuning.

If your addons are DX10 compatible, switching to DX10 might help, the above guide covers that.

NickN's Win7 guide at simforums is very good for OS tuning and he points out which FSX settings have the biggest FPS impact.

Some good videos for FSX settings here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RotationFSX/videos

Sorry to say there's no easy way to increase FPS, but the above are the best guides I have seen.

Barry Friedman

Flying NGX into payware LSZH is very demanding, you need a fast computer with overclocking and then tune your OS and FSX settings to get good FPS. Pinned at the top of this forum is a software/hardware guide with lots of information regarding recommended hardware, software and tuning.

If your addons are DX10 compatible, switching to DX10 might help, the above guide covers that.

NickN's Win7 guide at simforums is very good for OS tuning and he points out which FSX settings have the biggest FPS impact.

Some good videos for FSX settings here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RotationFSX/videos

Sorry to say there's no easy way to increase FPS, but the above are the best guides I have seen.

OKAY buddy, i´ll try and let you know if i get better fps. thanks

The best resource, bar none, is Word Not Allowed's FSX/P3D Hardware and Software setup guide. Google it and follow his guide to the letter.

This guy created a website where you give your FSX information and tweaks will be applied based on your computer.

I don't mean to be rude, but don't expect anything or get all excited over a possibility of improved performance. I had low FPS and tried multiple sites and they didn't help. I ended up uninstalling FSX out of anger more than anything. After reinstalling some time later, I gained 2-2.5x the amount of FPS from a clean, fresh installation with only my necessary add-ons. If you have a lot of add-ons, delete the ones you aren't using. They hurt FPS greatly when stacked together on a system, I found out that way.

Hi,

does any of you have any tips of how to improve fsx frames per second??? i´m really crazy about this, because when flying with the pmdg 737 NGX in a default airport i get no more than 11 fps inside the cockpit. BUT, when flying and into an aerosoft airport, such as zurich, i never exceed 7 frames per second inside the cockpit.

Thanks, 

tatin 98

You should post your computer specs too but my recommendation is to tweak sparingly.  If you have a good system, you really don't need all those tweaks.  If you have a low-end system (what's that?) then you might need a couple of tweaks to help out fsx.

In any case, you need the highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of your fsx.cfg and I would leave it at that until you see a tweak that might help you further.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You should post your computer specs too but my recommendation is to tweak sparingly.  If you have a good system, you really don't need all those tweaks.  If you have a low-end system (what's that?) then you might need a couple of tweaks to help out fsx.

In any case, you need the highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of your fsx.cfg and I would leave it at that until you see a tweak that might help you further.

Best regards,

Jim

It's called my system  :P

This guy created a website where you give your FSX information and tweaks will be applied based on your computer.
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Hope no one minds but everytime someone posts a link to that site I feel the need to say this is not a good idea.  ^_^ it is ALWAYS better to tweak manually, adding them one by one and testing them one by one. And only use the tweaks that actually have an effect! The less tweaks you end up using, the better! That Venetubo tool puts a lot of junk into the cfg at once and you have NO idea what does what and if something actually helps of hinders performance. Imho every reference to this online tool should come with a big warning.  ^_^

Hope no one minds but everytime someone posts a link to that site I feel the need to say this is not a good idea

:Applause: Totally agree.  There are plenty of resources around for manual tweaks. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Even after all tweaks, don't expect a magic FPS pill if you're already in the low teens. Best to try and focus on smoothness.

Hope no one minds but everytime someone posts a link to that site I feel the need to say this is not a good idea.  ^_^ it is ALWAYS better to tweak manually, adding them one by one and testing them one by one. And only use the tweaks that actually have an effect! The less tweaks you end up using, the better! That Venetubo tool puts a lot of junk into the cfg at once and you have NO idea what does what and if something actually helps of hinders performance. Imho every reference to this online tool should come with a big warning.  ^_^

Most tweaks are useless as for FSX you need only a few that is three in my case and always manual :-)

André

I've heard a lot about not worrying about fps but rather smoothness. I am OK with fps most of the time unless I am in cloudy/rainy/foggy weather. Fps drops somewhat, but its the stuttering that is most annoying.  Are there tweaks that address stutters in particular?  Thanks.  Tom