Sign in to follow this  
dm123

FSX Laptop (yes, it has to be a laptop)

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new computer, and unfortunately it absolutely must be a laptop. Furthermore, it has to be a portable one, so no 18 inch monster laptops. I was thinking of buying an Alienware 14 with an i7-4900mq processor (2.8 ghz with 3.8 ghz on turbo) and an NVIDIA 765m. I know there are other gaming laptops with much better GPUs for a lot less money, but being for FSX, I was looking for the best CPU. Do you think this will be able to run FSX with the PMDG 737 on reasonable settings? My current computer has an i7-720qm and an ATI 5730m, and it cannot do the above. I believe that this computer should be at least 80% faster due to the increase in clock speed and 3 generations of CPU improvement. There should also be some additional benefits in cloud rendering because it is an NVIDIA card. What do you think? Can you think of a better laptop option that is both portable and from a reputable company? Thanks for the help!

Daniel Miller

I have a 3 year old Toshiba Qosmio 505 and I'm running the NGX, AAX, plus various Tropicalsim, FlyTampa and LatinVFR sceneries with no issues. I'm not running at full sliders however I enjoy the scenery, and I'm a RL Airline pilot! So if you go with the newer Qosmios you can't go wrong, plus theyre way cheaper than an Alienware overprices crap. BTW I have my tweaks and run on RazonGame booster.

Reik Namreg

Yes, that laptop will run FSX decently. I opted for a lower screen res than 1080p for performance benefits. And be sure to get a SSD, laptop HDDs are crazy slow once they get some data on them.

Warning that you may not know that caused me to return a new Levono. Many laptops clock down(with no way to override it) their cpu and gpu WAY down when not plugged in, drastically reducing performance.

That laptop looks good. The only thing...

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT EVER EVER EVER IN YOUR LIFE EVER EVER EVER get the model with the 1366x768 resolution. THAT RESOLUTION SUCKS, and it looks HORRIBLE on a 14" laptop. (I know because my family has a 15" with 1366x768 resolution... Everything looks huge.)

Also, make sure to get Windows 7 instead of 8. (Dell gives you a choice - thank god)

to give you an idea of how well it would run.

I use an asus n55sf 15" with a i7 2760QM with gt555m at 1600x900 with 16x antiso and 16x AA, main drive SSD and a HDD instead of a CD drive. and its stunning. I run pmdg 737ngx, genx photo scenary and activesky with no problems at all I tend to use only complex autogen with low traffic though.

I did the fsxmark 11 benchmark with it recently.

Thank you everyone for all the quick responses!

Does anyone have any experience with Xotic PC? I saw that Laptop Magazine recently reviewed one of their modified MSI laptops, and it seemed reasonable. Do you think that an i7-4800mq with nvidia 770m would work well too? I would only lose .1ghz, and would get a much better GPU. It might also be a little cheaper.

Daniel Miller

My experience with xotic wasn't very good. I ordered a laptop from them like 3 years ago. A Sager 8280 or something like that, I forgot the model, it took them a month just to ship it and its been a paper weight ever since. It was top of the line when I ordered it. I sent it back twice because of freezing issues and BSOD. I wasn't even able to enjoy a flight on it. Not even surf the web. I do not recommend xotic pc to anyone!

Reik Namreg

I do not recommend xotic pc to anyone!

Thanks. I think I will focus on the Alienware then.

Daniel Miller

Thanks. I think I will focus on the Alienware then.

I would find another company honestly your paying for a brand name with them.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I am using Macbook Pro 15" with i7 2.3 (3.3 Ghz Turbo) and 650M. It runs NGX on big airports around 20fps.

After much research including all the models mentioned above I settled on this.

HORIZE  P170 EM  ( Clevo based )
17 " 1920x1080 res glossy screen
Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3920xm 2.9-3.8Ghz Turbo
nVidia Geforce GTX675MX  3GB GDDR5 Graphics
16GB 1600Mhz Ram (2 sticks)
I28GB 520 Series  SSD 550/520 Mbs Read/Write....Windows OS
480GB Intel SSD 550/520 Mbs Read/Write....FSX
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
FSX Gold

Windows on the small drive and FSX & ORBX  ftx Australia SP4 and ftx Pacific Northwest on the larger one.

With SimForums NickNs Win7 and FSX & cfg tuning guide applied, scenery maxed and autogen very dense, water 2xhigh, A1 ga traffic maxed, clouds and weather etc and FPS set at 30 I get consistantly smooth and stutter free flight.  

You can get the same specs in a 15" model for your portability.

Awesome, congrats to you, donet!

I would have recommended my old Asus G73JH 17" 1920x1080 glossy, ATI 5870, 8 Gb Ram, i7 920XM CPU, a 500 Gb Seagate Momentus X, because this baby still rocks.

Looks good for the future with FSX on a notebook, with all the new hardware you can actually get good performance IMO.