Sign in to follow this  
HawkDsl

Turbo Charging Update

Hi all.

Gave this item a second look, and have started full bore to make a Carenado Baron 58TC version.

I can do this in two ways;

1.) A separate plane with it's own parameters... separate Aircraft folder and gauge set.

or

B.) wholesale change of the current liveries in your Carenado B58 File.

No matter which, there will be a new livery included that I'm currently working on.

8fwz.jpg

The good news is, no .air file changes are needed... so this is purely an aircraft.cfg and gauge change affair.  It'll take a couple weeks for the entire package, but no matter what, you will need the Carenado B58. Option 1 will not work without it.

Any interest?

ALSO: if anyone knows of a link to a POH for the 325 hp turbocharged B58, please post it here. Thanks!

I'm interested still.

If you need a hand let me know.

I'm all in. The show-stopper for me a couple of months ago was the inability to obtain accurate MP gauges. I have a hard copy B58TC POH (c. 1983) and can answer any questions you may have.

Les Parson

Alright, here's where its at so far; (option 1, separate folder)

MP gauges re-done, xml code adjusted.
ASI re-done, night and day.
Adapting the sound set me and Gary Jones did for the SR 22 (same motor). Playing with turbo boost sounds now.
repaint in early stages.

More then likely, I will only do the option 1 (separate folder). In this way the TC version will have its own xml gauge set, and .air file, and not do wholesale changes to you other/main barons.

Several configs currently testing, but that part is pretty much done too. Doing a wide search for TC specs turns up just about every single number ever used by mankind. There are two planes over a short span of years with TC (58TC and 58P). Some where 310hp,and some where 325hp,

Les, if you have specs for the 325hp, that would be very helpful! Mainly:

Total fuel (I have 190 total, 3 gal un-useable per side)

Fuel Burn/GPH

Weights; empty, full fuel, max gross, useful load (I have 6200 max gross)

Alt. Ceiling (I have 25,000)

I'll use the specs you posted in the other thread for everything else. TIA!

I think placing a B58TC in a separate folder is the best option.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I think placing a B58TC in a separate folder is the best option.

Me too. It'll be allot cleaner, and wont mess with the regular 58... Any liveries y'all add to the TC folder will have to be renamed though;

Example:

[fltsim.0]

title=Carenado BARON B58 WHITE

change it to;

title=Carenado BARON B58 WHITE TC

Again, that would ONLY need to be done in the TC folder, NOT the regular folder.

---

Flight tuning is done, gauges are done. It's a heavier plane, so it wont leap off the runway, but it is a really smooth flyer, with really good manners.

j3ku.jpg

va6l.jpg

33 MP/2400 RPM/8000 ft/ 220 kts, just like RW spec! Just need to fix GPH, and thats good to go.

2gwd.jpg

HawkDsl,

Option 1 seems fine; whatever you think would work best.

1.) Total Fuel (POH Section 1 General)

STANDARD SYSTEM

Total Capacity..............172 Gallons

Total Usable.................166 Gallons

OPTIONAL SYSTEM

Total Capacity..............196 Gallons

Total Usable.................190 Gallons

2.) Fuel Burn/GPH

This varies between 'MAXIMUM CRUISE', 'RECOMMENDED CRUISE', ISA and of course ALTITUDE. In any case, below is a sampling @ 10,000 MSL, Standard ISA: from the recommended cruise table:

30 IN. HG. 2200 RPM

10,000 PRESSURE ALTITUDE

OAT -1C

GAL/HR 14.3 (per engine)

CAS KTS  164

TAS KTS   190

This is just a snap shot. I will PM you on this topic.

3.) Weights; empty, full fuel, max gross, useful load (I have 6200 max gross)

Empty - Approximately 4211 pounds*

MGTOW - 6200 pounds

MGLW -    6200 pounds

Max Ramp - 6240 pounds

MZFW       5700 pounds

*Empty weights vary with each aircraft. the given empty weight is a sample from the B58TC POH Weight & Balance sample. Carenado's non-TC B58 is 3770.

4.) Alt ceiling

B58TC POH Limitations:

Altitude Limitation.......25,000 feet.

Thanks Brian. The install will be a little tricky. I'll have detailed instructions. Nothing too hard. Just a bunch of "copy/paste" moves.

Because of copy-write, I can't simply upload the entire TC folder. The total package will include the repaint, cfg, and air files. Also the sound folder, and A new gauge .cab file. Everything else will have to be copied from the "normal" Carenado folder.

Les, just got your PM. Really appreciate that very much. As always with FSX, the numbers for GPH, and some performance can only get in the "ballpark". But I will endeavor to match RW as much as possible.

Ok.. off to work!

Update:

With info provided by Les, final tuning is done.

Something to bear in mind is that the TC barons are Turbo "normalized", and even though there is higher HP (i'm going with the 325 hp version), that doesn't mean its a rocket ship. Climb performance is only slightly better then a normal baron... about 1600 FPM... Of course that is fantastic, but it'll drop off the higher you go just like the normal one. Also, it is heavier then a normal baron, and some of the extra power is used lumping that extra weight. I believe this will be a very accurate sim of a 58TC.

Now I begin the repaint. As soon as thats done, I'll upload the package.

Sounds good. By the way, below is a complete description of the exact engine as described in the POH:

ENGINES

Two Continental TSIO -520-WB six cylinder, horizontally opposed, turbocharged, fuel-injected, direct-drive engines, each rated at 325 horsepower at 2700 RPM and 39.5 in. Hg

Take-off and Maximum Continuous Power............39.5 in. Hg at 2700 RPM

Maximum Normal Operating Power.......................39.5 in. Hg at 2600 RPM

Cruise Climb Power............................................. 36.0 in. Hg at 2400 RPM

Maximum Cruise Power........................................33.0 in. Hg at 2400 RPM

Thanks again Les!

For all intense and purposes, 40 in.Hg.... that's incredible.

Update: Final gauges, repaint progress.

45ij.jpg

yypt.jpg

d7vp.jpg

Maybe not an exact approximation of the RW paint, but it's a tuff one to adapt (it a B55 to B58 conversion... 55 being a little smaller.)

I just got the O.K. from Carenado to upload the TC package!

Good news, in that the install will be just one folder, and a gauge file.