Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How many of you are already creating for the WED contest?

I intend to start using WED, for the first time in my life, after just a few experiences with exclusions, next weekend :-)

Will try a few airports around here :-/

Well... it will keep me busy :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It's a lot of fun to create realistic airports within the confines of the objects available.  I have yet to be able to upload any "Global Scenery" but we are more or less promised that with 1.3.

At any rate, I think you will enjoy it once you get the hang of it.

John

John Wingold

It's a lot of fun to create realistic airports within the confines of the objects available. I have yet to be able to upload any "Global Scenery" but we are more or less promised that with 1.3.

John

Is there a list of things to expect in 1.3 somewhere?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

All I have seen is this - copied from another post:

The way I understand it is that those "outside of parameter" objects are scenery items that we have inserted are not on the approved list. They have a code unknown to us to prevent their upload. But the good news is that within version 1.3 of WED (forthcoming)  that the acceptable object/library (.obj) will be denoted so we can see what we can use.

I have been successful in uploading to Robin a couple of small airports, successful only in the ability to send, not in their acceptance at this point, bit early I suppose.  I do not know which libraries I was successful in using.

Chuck

John Wingold

I'm building airports to supplement the bunches I've already cranked out, but not participating in the contest as it's currently laid out. I've got some philosophical differences in how it's being run and the ambiguity of the prize. All things being equal, I can probably crank out 3 airports of very good visual quality in the same time it would take someone to turn out 1 airport with "contest winning" quality.

Regardless - the more people that design in WED and submit them to Robin Peel, the better.

I have been successful in uploading to Robin a couple of small airports, successful only in the ability to send, not in their acceptance at this point, bit early I suppose.

Robin usually works on the airport submissions in batches, once every few weeks (or even months). I usually don't get any acknowledgement of receipt until he kicks over a quick "thank you" email when he's processing them into his systems. Don't worry too much if you haven't heard back from him - chances are very good that he's got your submissions in the holding queue. He hasn't missed any of my submissions over the past year or so.

-Greg

I am not interested in entering a "contest", but just can't even get them out of my computer for anyone to peruse.  Not a big deal - except that I think they look pretty good and would like for them to be shared.  If everyone was able to replicate their local airports, the world would soon be full of non-generic (or flat scenery) airports.  I realize however, that there are some who would try and destroy the whole enterprise by submitting worthless junk and therefore understand (and welcome) review prior to posting.

John 

John Wingold

I have dipped a toe into WED, this guy has some nice NARRATED video tutorials:

And this guy has some nice written ones:

http://xsimreviews.com/2012/12/08/x-plane-scenery-design-tutorials-1-3/

I am starting with the simplest airport in my area(Tampa North Aeropark) and going from there.  I got some geotiffs downloaded from the national map and am starting to build facades and place objects.

My own home airport needs it's taxiways redone, which will be the next skill I learn. 

I don't really care much about the contest, I just want to spruce up my home fields, and it's kind of fun.

I submitted one for CYRO Rockcliffe yesterday.

Biggest frustration with WED at the moment are lack of previews for facades (so we have to draw instances for each of the hundreds of them just to see what they look like), and what limitations/restrictions each of them have (height has no effect on most of them; radio tower/antenna facades didn't appear).

Thanks for the links PingPong... I've got lots of studying to do!

John

John Wingold

Biggest frustration with WED at the moment are lack of previews for facades

I find it helpful to have Overlay Editor open while you are working in WED. It has better support for previewing 3D objects and some limited support for viewing facades. Also I highly recommend downloading the re-load scenery plugin this way you can quickly see your work in the sim without having to leave-and-return to the tile you are working on.  

Also I highly recommend downloading the re-load scenery plugin this way you can quickly see your work in the sim without having to leave-and-return to the tile you are working on.

Since the plugin is not Linux, I use another method, which some might find useful: open graphic settings, click and click again on "HDR" checkbox. Close the screen and the scenery will reload. Way faster than restarting X-Plane.

Pascal

Thanks Pascal,

Works just great!!! Saves a lot of time and no plug-in required.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

It's a lot of fun to create realistic airports within the confines of the objects available.  I have yet to be able to upload any "Global Scenery" but we are more or less promised that with 1.3.

At any rate, I think you will enjoy it once you get the hang of it.

John

John,

What kind of upload to Global problems are you having? If its just some library stuff, try just using some of those items from

LIB. Just try a small airport at first since you a bit limited in items, but at least you might get a handle on what you can use.

Greg may have some hints on that, he has a done a lot of airports.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Chuck,

Thanks for your interest, but it's not a big deal. I get some message about being outside parameters. I have used WED with small airports and have used the default .obj files found in WED. Almost every time, I have found roads running through the buildings/taxiways (for pavement) I have added and have used the "exclusion tool" to block roads. I have tried drawing one over the whole airport (just outside the runway ends) and making small zones throughout that just cover the areas in which things appear (I hope that explanation is clear) and get the same message either way. I'm away from that computer right now to copy exactly what it says. The airports had no other buildings on them when I started so there was no stuff which was foreign to WED.

As I have said, I am having fun doing them and they look pretty accurate (I think - considering the limitations of stock objects), but I think the community could benefit from small inputs such as mine. The airports I have done are all in Virginia (US) and are KLYH (which has one misplaced taxiway in the standard X-Plane 10 and I am not competent enough to change), Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport, Luray Caverns Airport, and Lunenburg County Airport (which had a default taxiway in X-Plane and none in real life and I removed it).

I hope I am clear enough in my description.

Thanks,

John

John Wingold

Thanks Pascal,

Works just great!!! Saves a lot of time and no plug-in required.

Chuck

My pleasure !

I wonder, does someone else use that trick ?

I found out that the things that are not reloaded are: basic world textures (clouds, smoke, etc...), scenery_packs.ini file, library.txt files

Everything else, ie the .ter files, .fac, .dsf, textures, etc... are reloaded when HDR is clicked twice.