Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

FTX Global Screenshots Criticism

Think it won't be game changer as people think.

The feature of zero-FPS-loss night lighting system alone will be a game changer for many not choosing to fly at night because of poor performance.

The feature of zero-FPS-loss night lighting system alone will be a game changer for many not choosing to fly at night because of poor performance.

Can fly XPX at night not too worried.

Can fly XPX at night not too worried.

Maybe so, but this feature is most welcome in FSX along with new superior textures.

Yep, just checked the FTX Global product page and they have added more screenshots.  My criticism was meant to be constructive, not just for the sake of bashing ORBX. 

Actually, I'm extremely happy that a company like ORBX finally came along.  I've been simming since the mid 80s and I've dreamed for years about having the kinds of planes and scenery that are now available. 

I will definitely be buying FTX Global because I, too, believe the textures are better than default and GEX.  I just want to see more non-urban areas before I buy.

To Bonchie: I don't doubt ORBX's ability to do almost anything where FSX scenery is concerned.  I've just learned its not always a good idea to "assume" anything.  Want to see it with my own eyes first.

Thanks.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Yep, just checked the FTX Global product page and they have added more screenshots.  My criticism was meant to be constructive, not just for the sake of bashing ORBX. 

Actually, I'm extremely happy that a company like ORBX finally came along.  I've been simming since the mid 80s and I've dreamed for years about having the kinds of planes and scenery that are now available. 

I will definitely be buying FTX Global because I, too, believe the textures are better than default and GEX.  I just want to see more non-urban areas before I buy.

To Bonchie: I don't doubt ORBX's ability to do almost anything where FSX scenery is concerned.  I've just learned its not always a good idea to "assume" anything.  Want to see it with my own eyes first.

Thanks.

No doubt they'll be a slew of screenshots on the forum in the first few days to round out opinions.

No matter what, FSX is a dinosaur, can it be enhanced a little ...yes of course, but in the long run it's like putting lipstick on a cow, unless the entire code is redone (ain't happening, P3D included) FSX will stay FSX, with some good but a lot more bad by today's game standard, there was a time when FSX was the only game in town....not anymore.

One big reason why peoples are so attached to FSX is the $$$ in add on invested in it, for those reasons I can't blame any of them for staying with FSX or saying that FSX is the best sim since sliced bread but that alone does not make FSX a better sim , again, they are not the only game in town anymore.

There is also the "Where ever they go I'll go" type of mentality when talking about a developer...seriously?? I don't need to elaborate on something that....well, let just say that this is just all smoke up to you know where.

I have the absolute utmost respect for the FTX/ORBX team, they come from a freeware world went payware and changed the game for scenery. So far they are the only real competitor to the GEX+UTX 1-2 combo punch which I currently use. I will be waiting a bit before considering a purchase of FTX Global, if Flight 1 really cares about sales (I imagine they do) they will look at FTX Global and at least try to match it in quality. Only time will tell who has the better product, as of 7/13/2013 the general ground texture game goes to Flight 1 for GEX+UTX.

+1

I think they've started to do something about it...  https://www.facebook.com/GroundEnvironmentX

Glad to see Flight 1 pushing their GEX & UTX products now that ORBX is getting in the game, this is what I love about competition, in the end the user wins BIG TIME.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

One big reason why peoples are so attached to FSX is the $$$ in add on invested in it, for those reasons I can't blame any of them for staying with FSX or saying that FSX is the best sim since sliced bread but that alone does not make FSX a better sim , again, they are not the only game in town anymore.

This really doesn't need to turn into a platform pissing match. People should play what makes them happy.

It depends on what you require as a simmer to dictate what is the better sim. For example, if you want to simulate airliner ops somewhat realistically, FSX is the only game in town. The other major platform has way too many holes in it's feature set to do so and lacks the addons needed. Until that changes, people will continue to be interested in whatever lipstick people can throw on FSX.

Some people are cool with flying mostly VFR over a "plausible" world. Other's aren't.

+1

I think they've started to do something about it...  https://www.facebook.com/GroundEnvironmentX

That's not a new product. It's just shots of the current GEX with UTX.

Regarding POI, they want people to know that they are NOT doing every single one. They have stated though that they will be doing some, just not all, so as not to get peoples hopes up that once again, thinking they are photo real or 100% accurate. They never have been, nor will, nor ever stated they will be.

No matter what, FSX is a dinosaur, can it be enhanced a little ...yes of course, but in the long run it's like putting lipstick on a cow, unless the entire code is redone (ain't happening, P3D included)

You just handicapped nearly every game ever made. Almost no one writes entirely new code bases unless it's a new franchise. XPX is not entirely new code either. It's an evolution of legacy code as well going back a long way. FSX was an evolution of 20 year old code. You think FSX wasn't substancially better then FS95 as an evolution the original code from 1987? You don't have to re-do an entire code base to produce a modern, exceptional product.

XP and P3D will continue to evolve and yes, they will be substancially better then their predecessors as that evolution happens.

This really doesn't need to turn into a platform pissing match. People should play what makes them happy.

It depends on what you require as a simmer to dictate what is the better sim. For example, if you want to simulate airliner ops somewhat realistically, FSX is the only game in town. The other major platform has way too many holes in it's feature set to do so and lacks the addons needed. Until that changes, people will continue to be interested in whatever lipstick people can throw on FSX.

Some people are cool with flying mostly VFR over a "plausible" world. Other's aren't.

My point was that no matter how long it would take to do it you can't add to FSX the better features XPX has to offer but with time you can add to XPX the better features FSX has right now.....FSX is no longer supported by MS,

My point was that no matter how long it would take to do it you can't add to FSX the better features XPX has to offer but with time you can add to XPX the better features FSX has right now.....FSX is no longer supported by MS,

Most people in the FSX community (myself included) are looking to Lockheed Martins P3D 2.0, they hold the keys to the FSX community's future and they know it. They have recently released 64-Bit Developer tools which pretty much confirms a 64-bit FSX. They have massively recoded the engine already where lots of .cfg tweaks are no longer required. FSX still has life in it and will be around for a few more years yet, the most interesting thing about P3D 2.0 and beyond is the capability to take your FSX payware and freeware and port it over with all the new updates and features.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

P3D is under ongoing development as well. Whether you qualify to use it is your business.

No matter what, FSX is a dinosaur, can it be enhanced a little ...yes of course, but in the long run it's like putting lipstick on a cow, unless the entire code is redone (ain't happening, P3D included) FSX will stay FSX, with some good but a lot more bad by today's game standard, there was a time when FSX was the only game in town....not anymore.

To the membership participating in this topic,

I move, that the above statement by our illustrious alainneedle1 be modified, as follows, and recommended and put to a vote by the readership of this topic:

Quote:

"No matter what,  Even though FSX is a dinosaur, based on earlier underlining code, can it can be enhanced a little beyond recognition,?...yes of course, but and in the long run, continue to be greatly enhanced even more. As we have already seen, it's like putting lipstick on a cow, unless much of the entire code is being redone (including that within P3D included). FSX will stay FSX, growing old gracefully, with some much added good, but a lot more bad even by today's game standards. There was never a time when FSX was the only game in town, not anymore but it is coming more and more into realizing the potential, however imperfect, beyond what many of us had originally hoped for from Microsoft.

UnQuote

May the record show:

Quote:

"Even though FSX is based on earlier underlining code, it can be enhanced beyond recognition, and in the long run, continue to be greatly enhanced even more. As we have already seen, much of the code is being redone (including that within P3D). FSX will stay FSX, growing old gracefully, with much added good, even by today's game standards. There was never a time when FSX was the only game in town, but it is coming more and more into realizing the potential, however imperfect, many of us had originally hoped for from Microsoft."

Unquote:

All those in favour, say Aye!

Legal notice:

In the unlikely event someone takes this post seriously and get angry, I suggest you give your head a shake, take a glass of water and your pills, and wait for it to kick in! (Notice: This is not a real legal notice as this is not really a real legal statement!)