Sign in to follow this  
mrb32854

Redux on "New 320.18 Nvidia Driver toxic to FS9?"

Some of you may remember a post I made a few months ago about the then new Nvidia 320.18 driver and its effects on FS9.

I've confirmed since then with Nvidia that:

1.   My issue that I raised at that time with them was replicatable by them in their labs, and it has made it to their formal development-team bug list.

2.   It has been issued a "low priority" as its "....a ten-year old game....".

3.   The bug still exists in latest 320.49, and "....may not be remedied for a while, if ever...".   I tried my FS9 with 320.49 and the bug is there, still.

Some of you may be lucky and are not having issues with the 320.xx drivers.

If you are one of the unlucky ones, like me, I'd appreciate just a few kind words in a reply on if you've-experienced/are-still-experiencing problems with 320.18 and up, and/or have had to resort to using earlier drivers to resolve.

See original post "New 320.18 Nvidia Driver toxic to FS9"? for description of video bug.

I am getting many problems with mine. I updated to 320.18 a couple weeks ago and started getting issues, like my driver stopped responding and recovered. So then i recently updated to 320.49 and still get terrible performance and I run at 4.5Ghz with a 580GTX. I get terrible black flashes/tearing which I never used to get and I use the bufferpools=0 tweak which always worked. Its becoming very very frustrating and i just hope it doesn't require me to get a new card.

Its becoming very very frustrating and i just hope it doesn't require me to get a new card.

The trick isn't a new card but an older driver. Try to get the newest one that still works properly for your video card running FS9.

Forgot to mention I'm on FSX

On my system, FSX benefited more from the older drivers than FS9.

No problems here  but I'm still using 306.81. Proceeding on the basis "if it ain't broke don't fix it." My other 'modern' games/sims work well also so I am satisfied being a luddite.   :Hypnotized:

320.xx drivers:

I install recently the 320.49 WHQL driver (windows XP 32bit) on my system after drying
last month the 320.18 WHQL.
FS9.1 works perfectly before with the 314.22WHQL driver on my system:

I try the newer 320.xx drivers with a GTX 650Ti and GTX 560 Ti videocard.

Here some pictures with these 320.xx drivers with default and newer payware.

------------
It seems that 320.xx drivers dont read correctly bmp files (alpha channel or mips)  with DX9..

So 320.xx drivers are not only toxic but a shame!

These drivers are WHQL drivers which are cerified to work with winXP; WIN7; Vista;Win8,

with all indicated video cards and with DX9; DX10; DX11 games.

In my mind this issue has nothing to do with "old game" like FS9!

I went back to the 314.22 driver, which is one of the best and stable driver for FS9 and also FSX
(see NickN opinion!). Everything works correctly again.

This may be the answer to some things that have been driving me crazy for a couple of months now. Around about the time I installed a new driver for my Nvidia card perhaps? I am going to try finding an older driver and see if that helps

Thanks

Ian