Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

Revisiting neglected planes - Duke B60

Oooh.... Will have to revisit the piston Duke!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

We will be soon be updating the Piston Duke to RealAir Legacy sound and visual effects standards, and a slightly revised flight model that enhances what is already there. Then we will work on the Duke Turbine in a similar manner. Our aircraft are made for the long term.

Best Wishes,

Rob - RealAir

Hi Rob,

Will this also include the option to disable the VC click spots (for Track IR users) and being able to use the mouse wheel for switches similar to the Turbine?

I always find it frustrating when going from the Turbine to the Piston and having the VC view change with a misplaced mouse click or using the mouse wheel to turn on the fuel or flick a switch and nothing happens. It would be great to get these features consistent between the two aircraft.

Regards,

Serge

Lian Li PC-P60B | Corsair HX620 | GA-Z370XP-SLI | i5 8600K | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX1080 8GB | 48GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB | WD 1TB | Dell U3419W 34" | CH Yoke & Pedals | Track IR4 | Win10 64 | MSFS

A most unexpected development. I don't have the Legacy, but I do have both Dukes and I wasn't even aware that they were a candidate for an upgrade. I don't always fly GA planes, but when I do, I fly the Dukes, so there is no need for me to revisit them. Still, news that they'll be made better still, put me in a good mood.

You can remove those vc click spots yourself

How, pray tell??

I'm really looking forward to updates to this exceptional aircraft!! Thanks RealAir!

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Ah yes, the Piston Duke.. I bought the Turbine Duke but never got the piston one. I've been considering it, but I feel similar to "beoxx" - the Turbine version is faster, needs less runway, climbs faster and just seems more exciting and fun. For piston twins, I prefer the Milviz C310 and Carenado C337.

Great that an update is coming for the Dukes. I hope the improvements will work in P3D too, not just in legacy FSX.

Thinking about the planes I have that I don't fly enough, the Carenado Commander 114 and the Eaglesoft DA42 come to mind. Also the Aerosoft DA20 - I always wish it was a little faster. The Carenado T182T is a plane I would like to fly more, but I always end up picking something else due to the frame rate issues. Once the FPS patch comes out, I'll definitely spend more time with it.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Ah yes, the Piston Duke.. I bought the Turbine Duke but never got the piston one. I've been considering it, but I feel similar to "beoxx" - the Turbine version is faster, needs less runway, climbs faster and just seems more exciting and fun. For piston twins, I prefer the Milviz C310 and Carenado C337.

In my case, I've put more time in the 337 and the Milviz B55.  As mentioned, when I thought Duke, I thought turbine, despite having the piston.  I've changed my mind.

So why fly it when the Turbine version is "better"?  First and foremost, "better" involves more than just raw numbers.  Start with the fact that piston GA is really what I know and where my flying heart lives, and what I'm re-discovering is that the B60 is a great piston twin.  In other words, as soon as I stopped thinking Duke = Turbine and started thinking of them as two completely different things, the attraction of the piston version shone through - I now think of it as a step up from my light piston twins, not a step down from my turbo-prop.  The Turbine version will still see plenty of time - when I want to fly a turbine.

Several practical things distinguish the two Dukes as well - I fly my planes the way they'd be flown in real life, and that has ramifications with the Turbine Duke, where airframe limits, fuel costs and burn rate dictate a normal flight regime of get high, fast.  The Duke is great at this with its amazing climb rate, but I'm not as fond of flying at FL250 as I am down lower, especially in the scenic US West were I spend most of my time.  The B60 can, and typically would be, flown differently.  The B60 can go into the flight levels, but won't for many flight profiles.  I can spend time flying in the mid teens on mountain IFR flights, meet MEAs that can't be easily met in my other piston twins, but still see the sights while flying at respectable speeds, and I like that.  Sure you can do that in the T-Duke as well - but you wouldn't.

So, there ya go.  Two different planes, both good in their own ways.

Scott

but I'm not as fond of flying at FL250 as I am down lower

Have to agree there.  I started out flying the Duke before the Turbine...sorta felt like the Turbine was a bit much of a handful.  But, a friend mentioned how much he loved flying it so I took the time to learn it.  Yeah...it's a handful.  In terms of the sim it's got some nicer features.  I do fly it in the mid to high teens a fair amount because, well, vgas and maintenance is free and I do love to look at the world.  I find both of the planes more immersive than any plane I fly, in part because I could see myself flying them RW, in part because everything is implemented and done amazingly well...so much so that I sometimes just let myself believe it's not a sim.   Just fly.  If I had any wish it would be that Rob would make a similar quality plane that didn't have big wings and engines hiding so much of the world.  But, I'm a happy clam.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I find the RealAir Spitfire is a plane I often forget but just seems so right, when I remember to fly it. I have the A2A Spitfire with Accu-Sim but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me.

It's funny you should bring this up. :cool: Only last night on Back Country Prop Club either you Gregg or Rob asked about the B60 piston only to be told it's a multiplayer flooder. Dang!(or words to that effect) was the response to that.

@Rob Realair, can something be done about the flooding, while you're playing with an update? The Duke Turbine doesn't flood.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Dang!(or words to that effect) was the response to that.

I was the 'dang' (or words to that effect) 'er.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

but I'm not as fond of flying at FL250

Fly on Pilot Edge where you'll be assigned TEC routes hehe... TEC routes... Where planes are created equal hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's funny you should bring this up. :cool: Only last night on Back Country Prop Club either you Gregg or Rob asked about the B60 piston only to be told it's a multiplayer flooder. Dang!(or words to that effect) was the response to that.

@Rob Realair, can something be done about the flooding, while you're playing with an update? The Duke Turbine doesn't flood.

Hi Ron,

Yes, we will be reducing the multiplayer flooding on the piston duke so it is on a par with the turbine version fix. I can confirm we will also provided clickspot removal options for Track IR users.

Regards,

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Top man Rob! Do us a favour and have a word with Carenado about their C337 and the 206H will you? Show 'em how it's done! :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.