I am contemplating about getting the NVIDIA GTX 780 for my new build. What are your opinions... SLI or no SLI?

Wondering if its a bit too overkill with SLI..?

Wondering if its a bit too overkill with SLI..?

Everything I've read on FSX and SLI is that it is not a good mix.  Best stick w/ one for FSX...

Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

One GTX780 will eat FSX alive. I suspect SLI will give no advantage in FSX but X-Plane can certainly use some serious resource.

Personal preference really. One 780 will do.

I'm going SLI 780's to max out other games at 1440p. But if you're talking solely FSX, no it isnt worth it.

I'm going SLI 780's to max out other games at 1440p. But if you're talking solely FSX, no it isnt worth it.

I play a lot of intense graphic related games, such as ARMA. It's not just for FSX. I think I'll go SLI...

GPU no good for FSX.. I had bad experience with my 680 after 560 I saw no major change .. look for a good cpu

Regards

1y329d.jpg

GPU no good for FSX..

On the contrary, GPU actually does make a big difference in FSX depending on your settings/AA levels etc. Just not as important as CPU for FSX.

Since he's not using it solely for FSX it may be worthwhile for him, as it is for me in my situation.

FSX is a complex beast. I went from a GTX570 running 1920X1080 to a GTX680 running 6072X1080, and got a huge boost in frames, and more importantly smoothness. With my CPU at 4.6, the GPU was the apparent bottle neck.

I can tell you from experience haswell + gtx780 is good enough for fsx at 1920x1080 atleast. Prolly even on higher res

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FSX is a complex beast. I went from a GTX570 running 1920X1080 to a GTX680 running 6072X1080, and got a huge boost in frames, and more importantly smoothness. With my CPU at 4.6, the GPU was the apparent bottle neck.

I'm in a similar position right now. Upgraded to Haswell but I still have a 570. Wondering if that's holding me back. A 770 might be nice...

I'm in a similar position right now. Upgraded to Haswell but I still have a 570. Wondering if that's holding me back. A 770 might be nice...

I upgraded from an AMD Phenom II @ 3.7 GHz to an Intel 4770K @ 4.3 GHz but kept the GTX 460 1GB from the old build. The improvement in pure FPS was about 2.5x and any sign of stuttering went away. This is with OrbX scenery, 4096x4096 clouds etc.

A few weeks later I added a GTX 670 2GB. The improvement was about 0 to 0.5 FPS, which was obviously not noticeable at all.

There's a special, hidden FSAA mode called SGSS (Sparse Grid Supersampling) that supposedly stresses even the most powerful GPUs. If you absolutely must use this, it might make sense to upgrade the GPU. Personally I find "8xS" FSAA looks great and don't see the need to go higher.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

A good GPU is JUST as important as a CPU, they are just Apples and Oranges.

CPU=Speed

GPU=Maintaining Constant Speed

What good is a 4+ OC'ed CPU, if you blaze into clouds, or dense autogen areas and your GPU falls apart and can't keep up? It's like trying to run to a different terminal at an airport with your child dragging along.....does not work.

There's a special, hidden FSAA mode called SGSS (Sparse Grid Supersampling) that supposedly stresses even the most powerful GPUs. If you absolutely must use this, it might make sense to upgrade the GPU. Personally I find "8xS" FSAA looks great and don't see the need to go higher.

I tried different versions of SGSS (Word Not Allowed spoke highly of it) but I found it sacrificed image crispness to the point I didn't care for it.  I prefer 8xS, though all levels of SGSS including 8X had no perceptible impact on performance.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

A few weeks later I added a GTX 670 2GB. The improvement was about 0 to 0.5 FPS, which was obviously not noticeable at all.

You must something wrong somewhere. I own both 470 and 670 and there is a difference of around 13fps with exactly same settings

Not that fps matters as such. If you can run with high gpu settings and its smooth that's what counts

FSX is not compatible for SLI, you will be wasting your big time money. I have 27" Dell Ultra Sharp screen and just purchased a 780 and man oh man, the performance is striking. For example on the ngx, frames will not increase, but performance will indeed, your sim will run a lot smoother. If you are in fsx for keeps, don't short change yourself, get the 780 and you will be satisfied for the next few years, by the way previously I had a 580 GTX