Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

I don't know which star to choose?

hello,

im having trouble choosing the right star for arrival. For example yesterday i was landing at Manchester and the air traffic cleared me for runway 05 or something like that, but i did not know what star to choose so i clicked any and everything got messed up on the fmc and i just ended the flight in disappointment lol.

is there a program to help decide the right star

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

IRL Atc assigns you the star. If you're using default atc Stars or DPs aren't simulated.

Reik Namreg

hello,

im having trouble choosing the right star for arrival. For example yesterday i was landing at Manchester and the air traffic cleared me for runway 05 or something like that, but i did not know what star to choose so i clicked any and everything got messed up on the fmc and i just ended the flight in disappointment lol.

is there a program to help decide the right star

Hee hee, sounds like me. I would recommend ProAtc for an ATC program that provides designated STARS and SIDs. You will be assigned the correct STAR (most of the time) prior to your arrival by ATC. However, there is a slight issue that needs to be raised and that is the fact that ProATC, although still far, far superior to default ATC, nevertheless is not perfect. the program is relatively new and as such is still being constantly revised and upgraded. However, I have learnt to live with some of it's silly issues and have started to enjoy the fact that I can fly with an ATC program that works with SIDS and STARS and is far superior than the default ATC.

BTW, a simming buddy of mine works with RW ATC training and he says that STARS are not necessarily practiced at airports to the extent that we simmers would be made to believe. IMO I do think we put far too much emphasis on STARS, in fact I much prefer to hear ATC giving vectors as it gives me more things to twiddle with on my VRinsight MCP!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Default ATC don't do STARS. Just select the arrival runway and go direct. Also remember a lot of airports have STARS that don't go anywhere near the airport - Manchester for example has a hold at Dayne where you'd be vectored by ATC to the runway. If you put this STAR into your FMC and try to fly it you'll end up in a right muddle. Have a look at the charts and pick one that fits.

I use  the avlasoft efb  for  the stars  and  sids,  all I need  to do is  to select  the  rwy  for  takeoff or  landing  and it gives  me  the  different  stars  approaches  etc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

One of the problems with selecting STARS prior to departure when using default ATC is that if you are working with a RW program you may discover on approach that a different runway is active due to wind direction considerations. That happened a lot when using default ATC.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

One of the problems with selecting STARS prior to departure when using default ATC is that if you are working with a RW program you may discover on approach that a different runway is active due to wind direction considerations. That happened a lot when using default ATC.

Not in the UK!