Sign in to follow this  
nrcapes

ifly 737 fsx and autopilot

I have looked around a lot and can't find out whether the ifly 737 payware for FSX will allow the RC copilot to fly the plane. I know the PMDG FS9 one won't, because I have that. I need RC4 for long flights. Anyone know?

Hi,

The answer is the same for most payware models and that is the RC co-pilot cannot fly the aircraft for you.It only functions with default aircraft.

If the aircraft model uses standard autopilot interfacing to FS, as do the defaults, then the RC copilot can fly the aircraft. RC uses the AP interface to fly the aircraft as I recall. Some payware aircraft do not go beyond FS control interfacing standards.

There are other "crew" apps that may fly specific models that may also work in concert with RC. I'd check their forums.

RC can probably tune the com1 radio for you. It does on my PMDG FS9 737NGs.

In any case the RC copilot will not fly any aircraft in the initial departure or arrival stages by design.

Radios and transponder should never be a problem. With a custom autopilot I

- set the RC pause option to '200 nm before destination'

- mirror the FMC flightplan in RC

- fly the aircraft up to CRZ FL myself

- engage LNAV and VNAV, hand comms over to RC

- and later come back to the paused flight, unpause it, get comms back and fly the remaining 200 nm myself.

Hi Olli:

Are you saying if RC issues any traffic avoidance headings or altitude changes for cruise the IFly or PMDG models respond for those commands RC gives to the RC copilot?

I understand your reference to syncing flight plans but am just wondering about possible dynamic deviations.

I never had those in crz phase! RC has never assigned me a new crz altitude nor did it vector me off my flightplan - not in cruise, not after it cleared me to follow my flightplan.

Have I missed something?

I do get the 'hold for wx' occasionally, but I hope that's within the 200nm from my destination. (That's when I'm back at my controls.)

<p>Hi Ollie,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Do you fly the I Fly using the copilot to actually fly the aircraft or just to look after communications?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>On my installation the copilot will not fly the aircraft but will look after the communication side of things.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The OP did ask if the RC copilot would fly the aircraft!</p>

Norman, the question whether the copilot can fly the iFly had already been answered by you: He can't. So I would only hand over the comms to the F/O as well.

So the further duscussion can only be about possible workaround like the FMC flying exactly the route that is "filed" with RC.

I'm still curious about traffic separation. My RC would vector me around during climb, but not anymore in cruise. But I ticked 'Interact with AI', could that be the reason?

Hi Ollie,

I was just wondering if you had found a way for the copilot to actually fly the plane!!!!

Interact with AI includes coms with AI (AI Chatter) and traffic avoidance including enroute. For the departure 30 nm zone it only avoids traffic if taking vectors AFAIK. Enroute it should be vectoring AI and issuing warnings to the pilot regarding avoidance. If you are going to fly the ponds or whatever and don't want protection from AI just turn AI off until you get control back at 200. If one has a full user paid registration there are functions available for a hot key assignment to toggle ai between on and off. That way the aircraft can just play out the FMC route that RC is synced with and you should not be getting changes from RC regarding ai protection. Is enroute weather a consideration here? Just curious for unattended cruising.

En route wx should be considered, too: Wind shifts can cause issues with aircraft falling out of the sky, due to that narrow 'coffin corner'. (Set your wx addon to 'gradual wind changes'/'direct wind control' or whatever it's called.)

And FSX wx anomalies (high temp at high ALT) can trigger warnings like 'high fuel temp'.

Definitely worth considering - but most of the time it works out fine for me ...