Sign in to follow this  
Ultor

Is Maddog 2010 Pro still worth buying?

That's quite harsh. It has state-of-the-art systems modeling, FDE and all that jazz but the graphics are a bit dated for 2013. 

But I forgot, if it doesn't have the eyecandy it's crap right.  :rolleyes:

I got the 2008 maddog and didn't feel the need to upgrade to 2010, used to fly it quite a bit but with NGX and AXE i admit it has stayed in the hangar dusting up. Sadly it isn't used alot in real world anymore, and i like to fly real world routes with the real aircraft. Closest i can get is SAS flights with md-90.  :wacko:

The Maddog and the Q400 are my favorite planes all time. Both are incredibly advanced from a systems modelling point of view. Both are must-have in my opinion.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Agree! "Graphical point of view" is now very common amongst FS enthusiasts. However I don't see it that way. I looked at my airliners fleet and Maddog 2010 Pro was the most valuable add-on to it. I have several advanced modern Boeing aircrafts and I think it's enough to me for now. Unfortunately similar advanced Airbus airliners as well as good older airliners still are not available because current Aerosoft and CS products are not top notch. So I went for Maddog Pro which offers me:

- different design from Boeing planes and chronologically very complementary to next MDD product in my fleet, PMDG MD-11X/F
- quite large cockpit avionics selection from full analog instrument panel to semi-EFIS one with different FMC systems
- several systems simulation I cannot find in any other FSX plane
- unique malfunction evens as engine damage due to overheating after quick second startup
- multicrew capability

Of course the downsides are its outdated 3D cockpit graphics and non-native FSX design but all above cost me only 34 EUR while for similar features found in Majestic Dash-8 Pro I will have to pay more than twofold of that. That's why my choice was clear!

Yes, it's true MD-8x planes are now shrinking in numbers among large carriers but several hundreds of them still fly mainly in the US (161 in American Airlines, 117 in Delta together with 17 DC-9!).

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

Agree! "Graphical point of view" is now very common amongst FS enthusiasts. However I don't see it that way. I looked at my airliners fleet and Maddog 2010 Pro was the most valuable add-on to it. I have several advanced modern Boeing aircrafts and I think it's enough to me for now. Unfortunately similar advanced Airbus airliners as well as good older airliners still are not available because current Aerosoft and CS products are not top notch. So I went for Maddog Pro which offers me:

- different design from Boeing planes and chronologically very complementary to next MDD product in my fleet, PMDG MD-11X/F

- quite large cockpit avionics selection from full analog instrument panel to semi-EFIS one with different FMC systems

- several systems simulation I cannot find in any other FSX plane

- unique malfunction evens as engine damage due to overheating after quick second startup

- multicrew capability

Of course the downside is its outdated 3D cockpit graphics and non-native FSX design but all above cost me only 34 EUR while for similar features found in Majestic Dash-8 Pro I will have to pay more than twofold. That's why my choice was clear!

Yes, it's true MD-8x planes are now shrinking in numbers among large carriers but several hundreds of them still fly mainly in the US (161 in American Airlines, 117 in Delta together with 17 DC-9!).

True, True.

I am aware that indeed there's quite a few in service still in the USA, but my airliner flying has always been centered around Europe, and i have virtually no addons in USA outside of Orbx. I much rather fly in to places I've bought scenery for  ^_^

I fly only over Europe too and all my sceneries are European now but I think aircraft choice vs present reality is not so important. Otherwise flying most wonderful A2A products would be pointless. :P

Yet there are a dozen or so MD-82 in SAS & Meridiana fleets and among East-European low-cost carriers, AFAIK.

Besides transcontinental flights are not interesting to me because they are a bit boring. Therefore I also fly 747 and MD-11 over Europe because I like to start and finish flight during one FSX session.

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

all above cost me only 34 EUR

Didn't know the Maddog comes in that cheap these days. Well worth it if, as you say, one can live with the old graphics (could need some windows, eh?).

I'd say that the technical detail still is very much 2013, as surprising as it may sound. So if they ever find the time and muse to update the optical standards, we are looking at a benchmark (again).

I'd keep the Majestic in mind though. It's a completely different plane of course, but one can get used to decent framerates and the superb FDE quite easily. :smile:

LSH announced they may create Maddog for FSX in the future but this is not certain at the moment. If so, I think there would be some lower upgrade price for current Maddog owners, so my purchase may also be a very good investment.

As for Majestic's plane I think it is unique with flight engine placed outside FSX. However this has some important drawbacks like lack of some aerodynamic effects during flight and bad compatibility with many third party add-ons. All in all I consider MS Dash-8 as not mature plane for that moment. I look at it second time when version 1.1 comes because its seems all important bugs will be sorted out and all promised features will be added then.

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

I also got the Maddog, the visuals don't bother me at all, fired up the tutorial working through it,

Went to set the flaps... :mad: ...... NO DIAL-A-FLAP... This in my opinion is not PMDG quality then.

Not simulating a circuit breaker is one thing, however leaving out a very novel/critical feature of the aircraft for me is a total deal breaker. After I discovered it I was so disappointed, I closed the PDF tutorial and turned off FSX, didn't bother with it again. Hopefully with the talk of upgrading the model some upgrades will be done in systems too.

Sorry but that was a total deal breaker for me!

All or nothing that's my opinion. As I said this is not just a CB.

Dial-a-flap was a customer option that only a few operators bothered with...so for me it wasn't a big deal whether it was simulated or not...It's still very much PMDG-level in outright systems simulation in my opinion (MJC's Q400 to me surpasses everyone in the realism department as it uses JSBSim's FDM...which takes more variables into account in its flight modelling than Aces' native FSX FDM).

I had to Google wth dial-a-flap was.. all i got was md-11 stuff and people saying its alsomd-82 feature. Couldn't see it in Anu airliners.net pics either... I haven't missed the feature yet and wont in the future either...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wiking, great choice and comments, Maddog is most valuable add-on in my hangar too, along with NGX and MD11. 

Maddog has to many features, i don't think dial-up flaps could stop someone to fly it. Maybe something else, this is not for ocasional simmers and those who likes eye candy, ctr+e startup and go flying. This plane needs some serious learning and real world procedures

Well, so far I have configured my Maddog to run properly with FSX and third party add-ons. Tomorrow I'll start to learn this plane... 

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

"Truly fantastic"... and still not FSX native.

EPIC FAIL.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Who says that plane must be fsx native to be good? This is the reason why we should appreciate this plane even more - it was made some years ago for fs9, and is still better then latest fsx addons. This is the reason to be excited about new planned, fsx native version. I can only imagine what developers of Maddog can do...

And the real epic fail is not to have this plane in your hangar...