System Specs

Dell 8400

3.2 GHz single core processor

3 GB RAM

2 GB nVidia 630 GT DDR3 memory

As you can see I have an old system, but fairly new video card with 2GB memory.. Using GPU-Z I discovered FS9 was using 130MB.  FSX was using about 300MB.  I never expected FS to use anywhere near the card's capacity, but is there a way to get FS to use more video memory?

Joe, welcome to Avsim.

Your 630 is an entry level GPU and it's perfectly normal that it won't use much VRAM. If you were to use settings that typically increase VRAM usage, like big resolutions or antialiasing, the card would choke out of lack of texture & pixel fill rate before it could use anywhere near 2GB or even 1GB of VRAM.

2GB is massive overkill for those GPU's 

Dazz,

Thanks for the reply.  I figured there was not much I could do.  I agree that 2GB is overkil.  512 MB would have been sufficient, but new cards come with 1GB minimum and 2GB is standard.

Joe