Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How much can you overclock your haswell CPU ?

I would like to hear from people who has a new haswell (4760K or 4770K) and have overclocked it.

How high clock frequency could you achieve ?

What CPU cooler did you use ?

What RAM memory was used ?

What case for the system ? Ask since I understand that it matters when overclocking .

I've settled on 4.3 GHz / 1.214V. With Haswell, it all depends on how much heat you're willing to accept.

For example, Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX and Hyper-Threading enabled (or the AIDA64 FPU-only test), I get about 86C. Disable hyper-threading and it drops by 8-10C (76C). Running Prepar3D, temps are only in the mid 60's C.

Some would push the CPU harder, arguing that they never run those "extreme" scenarios, so it doesn't matter. The CPU would overheat and throttle under those conditions, but would run e.g. FSX just fine. If you're only hunting clock speeds and don't care about HT, the 4670K would be a better buy, since it's otherwise nearly identical to the 4770K. I do a few other things with my computer where HT is of great benefit so I keep it enabled and live with the ~5% lower clock speed.

There's also the issue of CPU lifetime. 1.3V is at the upper limit of what you want to push through the 22nm chip on a 24/7 basis. Something in the 1.2x V range is safer, and also quieter, cooler and uses less power.

RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Low-Profile 1600 MHz CL9 (not overclocked, but timings tightened to 9-9-9-24 1T)

CPU cooler: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-TC14PE.html

Case: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=111

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'm running a 4770k on an Asus z87 Pro under a Silver Arrow SB-E cooler with 2x4GB low voltage Samsung ram running 2133 9-11-10-28 T1 at 1.55v inside a cramped budget mid-tower case with upgraded fans.  I'm clocked at 4.5Ghz using 1.17v adaptive mode, no HT.  FSX core temps average 63c, max 70c.

If you were to spend some time browsing the web on this subject, would see this pattern:  Haswell's overclocking ability varies greatly from chip to chip.  Some (the unlucky few) can only get to 4.1 on 1.25v while others (the lucky few) can get 4.6+ on 1.25v.  4.3 to maybe 4.4 seems to be the sweet spot for most with reasonable voltages.  BTW, overclocks run HOT, so a really good cooler is a must for overclocking.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

5.0GHz 1.48V

Laing D5, MoRa 3, Koolance CPU380i

Haswell is very picky about memory but found that Team ddr3 2600MHz and Geil Corsa ddr3 2666MHz will boot into ddr3 2400MHz with no errors in MemTest 86 (stock clocks 1.65V)

Cooler Master Cosmos 2

asus boards provide two layers of voltage regulation. The FIVR will take you to 4.6 - 4.7GHz then quit. The rest of the way is with manual core voltage and VCCIN.

HLJAMES

5.0GHz 1.48V

That is awesome! Must run FSX beautifully? I am hoping for 5ghz with my Haswell build.

f you were to spend some time browsing the web on this subject, would see this pattern: Haswell's overclocking ability varies greatly from chip to chip. Some (the unlucky few) can only get to 4.1 on 1.25v while others (the lucky few) can get 4.6+ on 1.25v. 4.3 to maybe 4.4 seems to be the sweet spot for most with reasonable voltages. BTW, overclocks run HOT, so a really good cooler is a must for overclocking.

I'm fully aware that the result varies from chip to chip. But also in addition to the cpu cooler the case must also matter. Or do you mean that some chips don't OC well irrelevant from the temperature ? MY impression has always beenb that it's the temperature that ultimately matters in how high you can over clock .

Testing 4770K @ 4.8GHz w/HT 1.37VCore 1.9VCCin on water now, have not de-lidded, lapped IHS, or used Liquid Pro yet because I wanted to make sure I got a good chip before I voided the warranty. Asus Maximus VI Hero, custom water cooling. Batch L310B492. Goal is 4.8-5.0 at a voltage that won't cause chip degradation for long term use (so well below 1.5).

Seems to be fine with running my Trident X @ 2600 C10 (as rated) also. Haven't found a great match for uncore yet though, had to back off to 4.1 w/1.28V cache voltage to find stability. Will continue tweaking though!

James: what uncore/cache settings are you running?

Testing 4770K @ 4.8GHz w/HT 1.37VCore 1.9VCCin on water now, have not de-lidded, lapped IHS, or used Liquid Pro yet because I wanted to make sure I got a good chip before I voided the warranty. Asus Maximus VI Hero, custom water cooling. Batch L310B492. Goal is 4.8-5.0 at a voltage that won't cause chip degradation for long term use (so well below 1.5).

Seems to be fine with running my Trident X @ 2600 C10 (as rated) also. Haven't found a great match for uncore yet though, had to back off to 4.1 w/1.28V cache voltage to find stability. Will continue tweaking though!

Can I ask you to run a couple of quick FSMark11 tests at 2 different uncore frequencies please Max?

Can I ask you to run a couple of quick FSMark11 tests at 2 different uncore frequencies please Max?

I will when I get the OC finalized, also need to get my 780 RMA'd because it's producing distorted video now :(

No change from 3900 MHz

HLJAMES

also need to get my 780 RMA'd because it's producing distorted video now

Bugger. Sorry to hear that man. RMA's are always a pain in the rear end, but you'll just need to wait a little longer and it'll all be good.

Let us know how your new beast runs when you have it all set up

I'm fully aware that the result varies from chip to chip. But also in addition to the cpu cooler the case must also matter. Or do you mean that some chips don't OC well irrelevant from the temperature ? MY impression has always beenb that it's the temperature that ultimately matters in how high you can over clock .

No means am I an expert on OC. But from what I've learned, temps are a critical factor, but more important is the voltage required to hit a the target OC. Even if temps are under control, too high of voltage can significantly shorten a processor's life. Also a case with bad air flow will hinder a stable OC, but a good case won't help a CPU which has a weak OC.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I got 4.3ghz with about 1.375vcore and mem at 2000mhz. Mine is really bad oc Wise, even delidded but too scared to try more voltage. Think imma buy better mem since it seems worth it for haswell

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got 4.3ghz with about 1.375vcore and mem at 2000mhz. Mine is really bad oc Wise, even delidded but too scared to try more voltage. Think imma buy better mem since it seems worth it for haswell

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Your VCore sounds way too high.  Have you adjusted the VRin/VCCin?  I found that bumping that up to 1.9V made a tremendous difference in stability when continually increasing VCore had no impact.