Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FSGenesis Landclass oddity

Just wondered if anyone who has the FSG US landclass file fsglc_us.bgl (v.1.12) installed also sees the two grey rectangles in the screenshot (co-ordinates in screenshot). When I remove fsglc_us.bgl, they go, so looks as if I shall have to ignore them. I don't fly over that part of the world all that frequently, I guess.

Thanks,

Martin

I don't have that issue, but I also don't have ultimate terrain in fear of OOM or CTD's.

RJ

I don't have that issue, but I also don't have ultimate terrain in fear of OOM or CTD's.

RJ

I didn't think that was a problem with FS9! Although, I must admit I have had CTD's more with FS9 than FSX. The solution for FS9 (for UTX Canada anyway) was to get the latest Version 1.2 installed.

Hi Mike...

I've had read many discussions about OOM's and ultimate terrain always appears to be the common denominator.  I've drawn my own conclusion to avoid UT, and have never bought it.  I'm sure I maybe out to lunch on my conclusion however..

RJ

Use the Landclass from Golden Wings by Bill Lyons - the US landclass from that package is the most accurate I've seen. It's got an updated and corrected version of the US landclass - which is accurate for our time, not for the 1930s like I think Mr. Lyons hoped it was.

I have Ultimate Terrain and have NEVER come close to having an OOM.

<p>I used to get OoMs (FS9) from flying th PMDG 747 into 'heavy-duty' airports. Now I use a 64-bit O/S, I never have them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I will have a look at the Golden Wings LC, though I have never heard of it. Guess it's payware? Not sure it's worth replacing my LC for the sake of a couple of grey boxes, but I'll investigate. (What I <em>really</em> want is good LC for India!! I have flown around India a lot (real world) and the FS9 LC I have tried looks nothing like it.. But that's a different issue :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for checking this out for me folks..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Martin</p>

<p> </p>

<p>LATER: Oh, I see it's freeware. Good on Golden Wings. Will give it a go...</p>

LATER STILL!!: More silly code after I edit a post. Told Tom about this.... :huh:

I have Ultimate Terrain and have NEVER come close to having an OOM.

I have never had an OOM in either FS9 or FSX, and I have Ultimate Terrain and Ultimate Terrain X.

On the other hand I did get many CTD's in FS9 before updating Ultimate Terrain Canada to version 1.2.

Golden Wings is a total conversion of FS9 to a "golden age" flight sim - representing the era between the world wars. I personally don't use it, but I have found that it has the most accurate USA landclass I've ever seen - bar none.

It was one of the last projects ever done by Bill Lyons before his retirement. It is freeware and can be found here --> http://goldenwings.info/

It states that it uses the FSGenesis USA landclass. It does NOT use the retail version, though. It uses an updated and improved version with considerably more detail. This is especially noticeable in my neck of the woods - the Golden Wings landclass is the only one to accurately represent the sizes and shapes of the cities in the SLC area. It is ALSO the only one to accurately represent the Kennecott Copper Mine... which is a big enough landmark you'd think it was a no-brainer... Cities in the SLC area have experienced huge amounts of urban sprawl in the last century - whole cities that simply did not exist in the 30s, huge swaths of existing cities that were not developed until recently - but are also represented in the Golden Wings Landclass - thus proving that in the SLC area, at least, it is the most accurate and up-to-date LC out there.

While we're on this topic, I'd like to mention my dislike of the Ultimate Terrain Cities layer preferred by many here and elsewhere. I installed it - and found to my dismay that it seems to equate city boundaries with urban areas - which is not a proper equation. It made my area FAR too urban because it put downtown style urban textures out where we have farmland. I didn't use it for long...

Having downloaded four files from Golden Wings, I see they consist of .exe files which are set to overwrite lots of stuff not relating to landclass at all. Did I get the wrong files?

GoldenWings.zip

GWUP1.zip

GWUP2.zip

streams.zip

I don't want to revert aircraft, or anything else, back to 1930, but apart from a reference to FSGenesis, there is no reference to the setup documents I have to any landclass installation. Where exactly is the US landclass stuff?

Thanks.

No, you got the right files. Install them to a dummy folder. The landclass file you seek will be in the scenery/base/scenery folder.

It does try to revert the whole world to 1930 - but you don't have to!

Have replaced the FSG file with the one form Golden Wings... will fly aruond and see if I can notice any difference!

What is the file 'AU-LC-GW.bgl', also installed?