Sign in to follow this  
ivo09

Airport Elevation and Floating Runways Fix?

Hi guys. I am having an issue with airport elevations being either below or above the surrounding terrain. This makes the airport either sit on a plateau or sit inside a hole. I believe this issue is caused by FSGlobal changing the elevation of the terrain surrounding the airport.

FSGlobal provides and airport elevation fix tool in the for of an AFX demo, but I can't seem to work out exactly how to use it. I load up an airport and go to the properties page and simply change the elevation to match the surrounding terrain. However, all it does inside FSX is change the elevation of the runway and now the whole airport perimeter.

jv63bt.jpg

Is there any way to raise the whole perimeter of the airport to match the rest of the terrain?

PHLU on Molokai, I recognized it even before zooming the pics for coordinates.

In a few days I will upload some freeware mesh for Hawai'i that might offer you a solution. Or if you're brave enough to see the "almost finished" freeware mesh, send me a PM with an email addy for contact.

PHLU on Molokai, I recognized it even before zooming the pics for coordinates.

In a few days I will upload some freeware mesh for Hawai'i that might offer you a solution. Or if you're brave enough to see the "almost finished" freeware mesh, send me a PM with an email addy for contact.

You are absolutely correct. :biggrin:  The airport is PHLU. I am excited to try the completed mesh. Thank you for suggesting it.

This product looks like its exactly what I need but Im not sure I want to spend money to fix something caused by another add-on. I was under the impression that I could fix issues like this with the AFX demo provided with FSGlobal. Otherwise what is the point in putting the tool there? And its not just this airport thats affected so I will potentially have to buy more terrain adjustment packs. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

Just a guess, but it may be that AFX changed the airport elevation, but not that of the flatten polygon that surrounds it. With default scenery the flatten is not part of the airport, but is in one of the vector (cvx) files in the default scenery folder. You may be able to exclude the default flatten using AFX and then add a new one at the corrected elevation. I've never used AFX so cannot give any details.

I also saw something about FSGlobal providing flattening meshes for airports: AFM. It's supposedly free for FSGlobal customers?

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

Barry Friedman

Somewhat related here, I have a new free service over at http://www.toposim.net where you can request development of Airport Terrain Adjustment Packs (ATAPs).

I'm looking for airports with plateaus and other anomalies to fix.

Requesting Development is free. There are commissioned work options, too, but it doesn't cost anything to report and request development.

More detailed info here

Thanks

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I had this happen with ORBX's PNW scenery.  I took off from Orcas Island in a puddle-jumper and made my way over to KSEA.  Once I got there (and I had a sweet approach going as well), when I looked closer and realized there was no way in heck I would be able to land because the airport had sunk into the ground about 60 feet!

Anywho, I believe this issue has something to do with the add-on scenery not being properly loaded in the scenery library and/or it conflicts with the default fsx scenery (perhaps a question of loading order?).  I highly doubted that ORBX would release a scenery pack without having the elevations corrected. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think if you look at scenery design forum here or go over to fsdeveloper you will find much help on the problem.   Suffice to say there are simple fixes that can get you 80% solution, but in the other 20% it takes more finessing of the terrain around the airport, assuming you want to maintain the "flat runways/taxiways/apron" feature of fsx airports.  Sloping airports I guess is possible but introduces even more variables into the mix. 

scott s.

Hey guys, I found AFM (as per Barry's suggestion) to be very helpful. It has a huge selection of 'fixed' airports and you can choose which ones to install.

A shoutout to all of you on this thread...

Its been awhile but meshman once upon a time offered a solutions to PHLU on Molokai... He was working on it and I am a nitpicker for having things look right in FSX,,, such is the definition of a simulation?

Would really like a fix for this.

Thanks to all

Will Charles

Flyboy