Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Ethopian B787 fire incident at Heathrow

It's unfortunate publicity for something as simple as just "teething pains".

New technology, hundreds of variables, trying to test every single anomaly... things are going to rear their ugly head from time to time. It happens on the Test Stand, and I bet it does on the Company Ramp as well.

Personally, I think the folks in Seattle will figure this one out, too. Can't be perfect ALL the time, but you can't deny Boeing builds some damned good airplanes.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

(...)

Wonder how this is effecting the 787s ambitions for ETOPS. I'd feel very uncomfortable at the minute taking on of them more than 60 mins from an airport...  :(

Regards,

Ró.

Those could become very long 60 mins ... if the 60 mins mark can be reached at all with a not-really-contained fire on board..

A lot of these same people commenting here made a huge fuss about not jumping to conclusions about the recent 777 crash.

But now that there is a fire on board a 787 all seem to have switched and make wild claims about how the plane isnt safe,  the batteries caused another fire, etc.etc.

Lets calm down and wait for the investigation.  The fire was a LONG ways from the 2 battery locations (fwd EE bay under the nose, and Aft EE bay under the wings) which i think can effectively rule them out. for all we know a FA left somthing on in the aft galley which eventually overheated.

Lets just wait and see and stop jumping to conclusions.  (As an FYI before the grounding the 787 actually had better reliability for its first months in service than the 777 did.  Everything just seems to be more publicised now.)

Nick Running

Sure you can pass comment, just looks kinda supid for the people who caimed we shouldnt be a week ago to do it now.

As for me i like to have more information before i say things becasue once details emerge you can look pretty stupid.  Just like i think the people in this fourm who claimmed the 787 batteries were OBVIOUSLY the casue of the fire without any information are now starting to look pretty stupid based on the fire location.

Nick Running

In airliners.net I read someone from Ethiopian said it might be somehow related to air conditioning system.

I don't believe anything left by the crew caused the fire, it just seems quite unlikely as the aircraft had been standing on the ground for hours before this happened. Also would some small device really cause a fire bad enough to be able to create burn marks through the fuselage?

for all we know a FA left somthing on in the aft galley which eventually overheated.

So far no proof about that. 

In airliners.net I read someone from Ethiopian said it might be somehow related to air conditioning system.

I don't believe anything left by the crew caused the fire, it just seems quite unlikely as the aircraft had been standing on the ground for hours before this happened. Also would some small device really cause a fire bad enough to be able to create burn marks through the fuselage?

So far no proof about that. 

I agree and prob not the cause, my point was more of a, who the hell knows it could be anything.

Nick Running

You cannot rule out the batteries any more than any other possibility of cause of fire. As others have suggested, lets wait for the reports.

Whichever way you spin this - the share price plunged 5 points as a panicked reaction - and that folks, is life today in a nub. Un-informed and speculative.(sigh).

Sure you can pass comment, just looks kinda supid for the people who caimed we shouldnt be a week ago to do it now.

As for me i like to have more information before i say things becasue once details emerge you can look pretty stupid.  Just like i think the people in this fourm who claimmed the 787 batteries were OBVIOUSLY the casue of the fire without any information are now starting to look pretty stupid based on the fire location.

The deal is this is now the fourth (?) incident with 787 since the FAA lifted the no-fly ban after the original series of incidents.     Mr. Boeing can't afford to let this keep happening over and over if he intends to stay viable in the commercial aircraft market.   

Airbus has already flown their prototype composite aircraft designed as a direct competitor to the 787.....

Oh and let's give Boeing's CEO and his pals a healthy bonus as usual, despite this burgeoning failure.       For some reason Airbus fired their CEO when the 380 ran a couple of months over production schedule.     Those crazy Europeans, holding executives responsible for the company's shortcomings!     We learned a long time ago here in the USA that the only way to avert failure is to reward it.    

I refuse to go outside without a helmet until the 787 is permanently grounded.    

Screamliner? Beats Scarebus anyways...   ^_^

If its Boeing, it ain't going  :P

If its Boeing, it ain't going  :P

If it's not Airbus, I'll kick up a fuss... *  :P

Regards,

Ró.

*Still trying to get it to catch on...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

The deal is this is now the fourth (?) incident with 787 since the FAA lifted the no-fly ban after the original series of incidents.     Mr. Boeing can't afford to let this keep happening over and over if he intends to stay viable in the commercial aircraft market.   

Airbus has already flown their prototype composite aircraft designed as a direct competitor to the 787.....

Oh and let's give Boeing's CEO and his pals a healthy bonus as usual, despite this burgeoning failure.       For some reason Airbus fired their CEO when the 380 ran a couple of months over production schedule.     Those crazy Europeans, holding executives responsible for the company's shortcomings!     We learned a long time ago here in the USA that the only way to avert failure is to reward it.    

I refuse to go outside without a helmet until the 787 is permanently grounded.    

By incident I'm assuming your talking about any flight diversion, regardless of how "unsafe" or critical it is.  News flash flights of all kinds get cancelled and diverted due to mechanical issues.  787 ones just get the headlines.  If the situation was that bad why would current 787 operators buy more airplanes? United just put in orders for the -10.  They seem to think the aircraft is ok.

Yes American executive pay and upper management culture prob needs some changing no argument there.

Obviously you prefer airbus however you don't know them that well as the A350 is not in competition with the 787 and when the -1000 comes out it will be in direct competition with the 777-300 (hence why Boeing is making the 777-X).  Also the A350 has flown what 10 times?? Who's to say it wont have problems of its own.

Nick Running

Would cabin crew be permitted to stay or return to the “overhead cabin crew rest cabin” during those hours it was parked up?

Find it too much of a coincidence it was directly above that area.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Would cabin crew be permitted to stay or return to the “overhead cabin crew rest cabin” during those hours it was parked up?

My thoughts at the moment too. Or if something was left in there.

Why would they do that when the airline would put them up in a hotel room which is much nicer than crew bunks?