Sign in to follow this  
Lyle221

Fsdreamteam KIAH First Previews

Flytampa has recently stated that they are done with FS9. All for good reasons.

Do you have a link for that? As far as I'm aware, YSSY is planned for FS9.

Except Flytampa's airports don't have the awesome ground textures/shaders that FSDreamteam does (or moving jetways, or dynamic shadows). And they are NOT DX10 compatible. Yes they look pretty nice but its obvious that they arnt as advanced as far as FSX only features are concerned.

In my opinion, FSDT trails behind Flytampa, Flightbeam and 29 Palms, depite all the bells and whistles. Why? Again, in my view, FSDT aiports lack a certain "character" and feel industrialized to me. I own almost all of them, and probably will purchase KIAH also, but to me, they are a bit overrated.

I just flew into KIAH last week and was wondering why no one has touched this airport since Simflyers back in the old FS9 days. Glad someone read my mind and decide to give it the treatment it deserves. I have ALL the FSDT sceneries (with the exception of CYVR not being AES'd, personal preference) but hopefully this will be a future purchase.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Great to see that, I think I will get this one as a longhaul destination for PMDG 777 when it gets released.

In my opinion, FSDT trails behind Flytampa, Flightbeam and 29 Palms, depite all the bells and whistles. Why? Again, in my view, FSDT aiports lack a certain "character" and feel industrialized to me. I own almost all of them, and probably will purchase KIAH also, but to me, they are a bit overrated.

I agree, although FSDT makes very good looking airports and I highly respect them for tha,t still I personally find FlyTampa Athens and Dubai way better than any other major airports ever made for FSX by anybody. They seem to find the perfect balance between performance and graphics better than anyone else if you ask me.

I hope they develop something that the airport doesn't take about 5seconds to load when approaching it - that might be horrible in a busy online environment. I noticed that these loading-moments get longer with every scenery they release - in CYVR it feels like an eternety and i always think it crashed.... Other sceneries of that size don't have these (noticable) loading times (like OMDB, KIAD,...)

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Rats... waz hopin' fer Salt Lake City. :Cry: 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yeah I definitely am excited about KIAH. Also I do agree with the loading times. Wish they can somehow improve on that aspect.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I hope they develop something that the airport doesn't take about 5seconds to load when approaching it - that might be horrible in a busy online environment. I noticed that these loading-moments get longer with every scenery they release - in CYVR it feels like an eternety and i always think it crashed.... Other sceneries of that size don't have these (noticable) loading times (like OMDB, KIAD,...)

CYVR is very heavy on the GPU. If your graphics card isn't the best, you will notice stutters, and slow loading times here.

I think I have a pretty good video card, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) and I still get slow loading and stuttering. I think they need to optimize their airports better, especially the v2.x versions. I don't experience it so much with their older versions.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think I have a pretty good video card, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) and I still get slow loading and stuttering. I think they need to optimize their airports better, especially the v2.x versions. I don't experience it so much with their older versions.

Their older versions are much more dependent on the CPU, and since FSX is dependent on the CPU, the frames will be much better here. Loading times are faster because the textures are most likely not 4096 (Like CYVR). With recent sceneries, due to complexity, they put all the load on the GPU so frames won't be affected so badly, that's why you get more studdering. Textures at CYVR are 4096, which is probably the cause of slow loading times. But of coarse, you can turn off 4096 textures there.

Keep in mind that Vancouver is almost always cloudy, or raining. HD clouds have a big cause for studdering and loading times. (And fps.)

Hrmm I have chosen the 2048 REX Clouds I believe but I absolutely must have my textures set to 4096. Quality is more important to me than performance. I'm okay with 14-18 fps while at the airport since I only spend such a brief time on ground and most of my time in the air. Once I'm airborne fps goes up to 18-30.

I turn off all GA AI traffic in UT2 and only have commercial traffic at 100%. FSX land/air/see traffic all set to 10% and airport ground vehicles to 0%.

When flying to and from very busy areas such as KLAX or KJFK. I'll set my LOD_RADIUS to 4.5, since I have a lot of addons for those areas (MegesceneryX SoCal, Aerosoft US Cities Los Angeles, FSDT KLAX v2.0, UTX, GEX, GSX, FS Global Ultimate, etc). Other than that, my LOD_RADIUS is set to 8.5 for most other areas such as FTX Regions/Airports.

Hrmm I have chosen the 2048 REX Clouds I believe but I absolutely must have my textures set to 4096

Just curious, how close to the 4GB ceiling are you getting in these busy airports with 4096 textures set?  Do you have Process Explorer so you can check?

I can check for you the next time I run FSX. You want a screenshot of my Task Manager > Process while my plane is idling at the runway of KLAX/KJFK? 

Please let me know what plane, scenery, time of day, etc you want so I can show you my results.

btw I'm running at 2560x1600 as well. So I'm really pushing the limits of FSX. Which is why I had to back down my LOD_RADIUS settings down when flying at highly detailed airports with complex scenery.

Just so folks know, KIAH is available from Blueprint for FSX.   Yes, it's not quite the same graphics quality as the standard bearers like FSDT or Flytampa, but it's adequate, and a step above the default rendition. 

Just so folks know, KIAH is available from Blueprint for FSX.   Yes, it's not quite the same graphics quality as the standard bearers like FSDT or Flytampa, but it's adequate, and a step above the default rendition. 

Yeah, I have been using that version for a few years now and its better than nothing and is better than default or a hopped up AFCAD. I'll surely be replacing it as soon as the FSDT version hits the streets. Makes a nice short hop from KDFW or KDAL. Now if someone would just do a KOKC, KAMA, and KABQ, I would have some nice short hops going north or west from Dallas.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator