Sign in to follow this  
TC011

Is there a tool?

I can no longer fly over the Seattle area without crashing my system.  Is there a tool or a process that can guide me in restoring that area or should I plan on doing a rebuild?  My current sim weighs in it over 38 gig so I would like to perform a fix versus a rebuild.

Thanks

Tom

Turn off all AI Traffic and then see what happens.

I loaded a default aircraft at another airport away for the region and after it had load I attempted to select the Seattle airport. I watched the load scenery screen sit idle for five minutes (0% loaded), hit ctrl/alt/delete and the message was that Microsoft Flight Simulator is nor responding.

Over the years in that region I have had a number of different sceneries, Fly Tampa Seattle, the river gorge scenery, a couple of Seattle addons, MIAW, etc. I have backed out everything one piece at a time, but I still can not locate the problem.

I may just have to bite the bullet and rebuild the sim. Is there a good game plan on rebuilding. This will be my 5th or 6th time going through the process, but I have been away for a couple of years so I'm not certain what files can be save and replaced later.

Tom

I loaded a default aircraft at another airport away for the region and after it had load I attempted to select the Seattle airport. I watched the load scenery screen sit idle for five minutes (0% loaded), hit ctrl/alt/delete and the message was that Microsoft Flight Simulator is nor responding.

But you said previously that you couldn't fly through the Seattle area without FS crashing.

J

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

With all of those addons listed, it might take that long for FS to load.

FS will show as "not responding" even though it is actually still working.

Also note that some of those addons, particularly CRG, disable default files.

If you do not reinstate them correctly FS will have problems.

Are you sure FS crashed, or was it still loading.

What are your PC specs?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

If for example, and as Joe touched on, you are deactivating scenery such Columbia Gorge without restoring any file(s) which were renamed you may be compounding your problem or leaving it in place. The fact that your system is spending five minutes or more attempting to load the KSEA area implies that FS9 is either searching for necessary files it can not find or is hanging because what it is finding is in conflict.

Are you positive this is Seattle related and no where else in FS9? If you are sure of that then I would look carefully at what scenery add on file(s) were renamed then removed unintentionally as well as the same for any default files that were renamed and or possibly removed.

Here is a example of what you might be encountering. I had Columbia Gorge installed as well as my own personal scenery version of KSEA. They worked as you would expect. I added UTUSA and applied the fixes to CG so in theory all should have been compatible. I had nothing but problems no matter what I tried and in the end I had to undo the CG fix and remove that scenery. Later (a couple of years), I installed MAIW related scenery for McChord. Ever time I started a flight at KSEA and orientated the view towards McChord my simulator would crash. The problem was a VTPL.bgl (road) that nobody else seemed to have a problem with. The difference in our situations was that I had no loading problems.

As previously suggested, determine if FS9 is indeed not responding or very slow. Also whether any error messages are available.

Try running ProcMon from Sysinternals that may give you a indication of what is going on.

For Windows XP:

If all else fails and you do decide to do a fresh install back up your aircraft and panel files for any add on and textures including AI. Back up any work or changes you have made that might save you time during the reinstall such as the FS9.cfg file. Remove FS9, the go to the root MS games folder and delete all remaining files, go to your my documents folder and remove 'Flight Simulator Files' if it is still there and to Application data / Microsoft folder and remove the FS9 folder. All of this is to insure a clean new install. After the fresh install apply the 9.1 update. At this point I would suggest that if you have enough storage space you might want to make backups of the important main FS9 folders such as Texture, Scenery, Sound, Addon Scenery etc. Saves time instead of having to locate and extract them from the disc set if you ever need to. Once that is done you can begin putting your pre-uninstall backed up files back in place checking each to make sure everything is working as expected.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mel

If you haven't manage to solve the problem yet and your system is just crashing to desktop without any error messages, it might also be worth checking for duplicate AFCAD files for airports in the Seattle region. Certainly, on my previous FS9 set up, I had this happen quite a number of times and often the culprit was a duplicate AFCAD file for some airport in the relative vicinity of where I was flying. WIth regard to the Seattle area, at one stage I was getting a recurrent CTD when I flew just north of Everett and the problem was an addon for Whidbey Island NAS. I use AFX to check for duplicate AFCADS but I think there is freeware available that will do it for you too.

Bill

Bill, the location of your problems are very similar to mine. My problems began when I updated Whidbey Island with MIAW AI package. This is not saying that the package caused the problem, but I began to see the problem after that change. My problem is located from Whidbey Island to the north to McChord to the south.<br /><br />Even with the problem, by avoiding the Seattle area, I have virtually flow around the world with my sim.<br /><br />Jim, changing the AI traffic to zero has no effect on the problem.<br /><br />Joe, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with a I5 processor and with the exception of some of the Mega Airports my load time is within seconds in all other regions. In the area of the Mega Airports I still load everything (all sliders set to full) in 10 to 15 seconds.<br /><br />My term crashing is that the sim hangs and does not load any of the scenery files. I have never seen the blue screen of death with my current system.<br /><br />Years ago there was a program called Flight Sim Manager that could check for duplicate files and other common sim problems. I know that the software to longer is maintained. Is there a similar freeware/payware program that provides similar features?<br /><br />Jim and John, I'm still working through your posts.<br /><br />To everybody, thank you for your help.<br /><br />Tom

Tom, as far as I understand it then, the problem that you have is not a crash to desktop while flying in the Seattle area, but a problem occurring while you are loading an airport in the Seattle area? My CTDs while flying were often due to duplicate AFCADS, but I can only once recollect experiencing the problem you are describing. On that occasion FS9 was hanging during the 'terrain' part of the loading process and I subsequently found that that was due to two conflicting terrain mesh files for the same area, one of which was from another freeware scenery addon. I notice that you said earlier that you backed out each piece of scenery from that area one piece at a time but that did not solve the problem. However have you checked where each of those addons placed files? Sometimes there may be additional files placed elsewhere other than in that addon scenery's named folder and one way you could check that would be to install each addon from the Seattle area to an empty FS9 folder which only contains the FS9.EXE file. You can then see if any files have been installed to other folders within FS9 and, if so ensure that you remove those in addition to the main addon scenery folder.

Hope this might help,

Bill

Sorry that I have not responded to this post until now. I had an unexpected trip out of town. I am going to try to look at the problem again this coming week.

Thanks

Tom