Sign in to follow this  
Moe

Skyvector questions

I am looking at using this in the future after seeing MSFlights uses it for there flight planning. I currently use FS9 for my flight planning and those flight plans overlay on GMap with the Alaska Sectionals (those secionals are identical to Skyvector's VFR) overlaying Gmap and GMap viewer. However GMap Viewer does not have the option to inport a flight plan like GMap uses my FS9 plans.

After looking at Skyvector it looks like it could do the job of GMap viewer and show my flight plan, but can those flight plans be exported to GMap?

Can Skyvector be used without going online? It seems to be an online application only. Does one need to purchase it to make flight plans with it? When I don't click the link to it from the MSFlights post here and I just go Skyvector,com it still shows the MSFlights plan for this Sunday. That seems odd to me. Makes it seem like MSFligh owns it???

I would like to iron this stuff out before Sunday

Thanks

Moe

SkyVector is a website used for Real World Flight Planning. They are in no way affiliated with Microsoft or FSWidgets, the makers of GMap.

The reason the maps look the same is because GMap is referencing a standard Aviation Sectional map, the same ones issued by the FAA and used by everyone, including SkyVector. If you access SkyVector, create a flight plan track and save the webpage as a Bookmark, the next time you open SkyVector your last input shows up.

There is no way to import the information from SkyVector into a FlightSim Flight Plan, unless you hand copy the Waypoints from the SkyVector map and manually enter them into your FS GPS.

SkyVector is one of the best FS resources, though.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Thanks. I just answered some of those question myself as I want back at it after posting. I think it is a great resource. I will like you say have to input my flight plans twice but I believe it will be worth it.

Moe

We use Flightplans in GMap that we made with a FSX Flight Planner like PlanG.

As the NavDataBase in FSX and Flight are the same you can use the FSX plans in PlanG or any other flight planner to make your own flightplans.

These FSX Flightplans can be exported to GMap.

The flight plan for this Sunday's flight is only for MS Flight, I set it up as a nav guide for me and some friends so we kown the waypoints. I copy/paste the URL with the waypoints, and MSFlights.net in no way owns Skyvector, we use it as a tool. I use Skyvector because of its simplicty in setting up flight plans since Gmap wont work with MS Flight.

Yep I use GMap fpr MS Flight too. And though I used GMap viewer until today I now use Skyvector and duplicate the flight plan there. I am very very very happy now. Tomorrow I will make a GMap flight plan for Sunday's trip in FS9.

Moe