Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 7/12/13 - North, East, South, or West

Radio towers near Kvichak, huh?  Don't believe I've been here. This one should be interesting and will also provide another airport I haven't landed at.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

May be the first Daily aerocache I have to skip  :(    way to obscure a clue - I get a river & a bay 200mi from the start point

I'll give it a try but it doesn't make sense to me  ...

May be the first Daily aerocache I have to skip  :(    way to obscure a clue - I get a river & a bay 200mi from the start point

I'll give it a try but it doesn't make sense to me  ...

Make sure you have the aerocache marker turned on. It will tell you the distance to the cache up to 20 nm. Also, use the hint and look on the internet for information. Aerocaches usually aren't extreme distances from the departure airport. The longest ones so far have been in the 60 to 75 nm range. The rest have been less than 20 nm normally.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Make sure you have the aerocache marker turned on. It will tell you the distance to the cache up to 20 nm. Also, use the hint and look on the internet for information. Aerocaches usually aren't extreme distances from the departure airport. The longest ones so far have been in the 60 to 75 nm range. The rest have been less than 20 nm normally.

I don't think you remember the very first Iditarod that was in Anchorage but had you start at Nome. That one was a rare occasion though. I'm on the hunt for the daily one right now. Just found the airport and set my RV on autopilot. If you're one for sightseeing, 5k ft is a pretty nice altitude to enjoy those mountain.

This is a long flight. 30 min with the P-51, 20 min before you see the first ring light indicating 20 miles out. This is one of mine and I my have set the starting airport as (Pedro Bay) to far out for some aircraft with short legs. You can always start the hunt from a closer airport of your own choosing. Don't want to cause anyone over due stress, this is supposed to be fun.

Steve

Steve, I thought this one was great. The real fun is using common sense and the feel in the seat of your pants to "hunt" for the cache. It's called "pilotage" and it is the only way to fly.

Blue skies & tailwinds,

-Alan

I don't think you remember the very first Iditarod that was in Anchorage but had you start at Nome. That one was a rare occasion though. I'm on the hunt for the daily one right now. Just found the airport and set my RV on autopilot. If you're one for sightseeing, 5k ft is a pretty nice altitude to enjoy those mountain.

You're right. I forgot about that one. My point being that as a general rule, AOTD flights aren't exceptionally long.  Looks like Steve got us on this one, however.  It does make it interesting to mix it up though.  Also, as Steve mentioned, you don't have to start at Pedro Bay. Do a little research on the web and find a closer airport if you have some time constraints. It's not a big deal. That's the nice thing about aerocaches. There are no restrictions as to where you can start.

As with all of the sim, do it the way you enjoy it.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

First Air1 I did not intend to critisize your cache, I appreciate the work and time you put into these for our enjoyment - Thank You

Please understand I try not to use the Hud or Tracker and I fly the "Low & Slow" aircraft
I also have all the 'Flight Assistance' stuff unchecked including 'subtitles' and 'Points of Interest' (I have to turn this one on when I hunt for Aerocaches)

As it turned out my 'Investigation' turned up the correct clues and I should have been able to find it from them (I search bing, google, and google maps).

But I wasn't sure because the 'search term' was "Kvichak, Alaska" and thinking it was a city, town, or region I was expecting a definative result from the search.

It was a great location for a cache and I found it easily enough after I read your post about the distance away from the start point - this told me that my search info was right.

Please continue creating them however you want and I will be gratefull to try them all.

I Apologize for giving anyone the idea that it was too obscure.

Not to worry , I did not take it that way at all. I prefer "low and slow" myself. But in this instance it would take forever. Sometimes I forget just how BIG Alaska is. Just glad you figured it out. :lol:

Steve