Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Black Screen After Menu Select

The problem I have is when I select "Add ons" from the menu bar, the screen will turn black and doesn't always show the selected application i.e. FSUIPC, Accufeel Setup, Flight 1 B200. Just stays black. When that happens, I usually can't get back to the FSX screen. Sometimes by hitting Esc or Enter it will come back on but mostly I have to go Ctr-Alt-Del so I can shut down the puter, then reboot.

All other FSX menus work ok. I am using Win 7 64, Intel 2600K @ 4.5ghz. NVIDIA GTX570

Any ideas? Thanks

Jim

Supposedly, placing the uiautomationcore.dll belonging to the Vista OS into your main FSX directory fixes Menu bar crashes.  It appears though that you are not exactly crashing though as you are able to get the screen back (or portions of it).  Make sure you have the highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of your Fsx.cfg.  Otherwise, lower your settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I always have highmemfix=1 im the Graphics section.   I'll look in to the .dll entry.

I just now noticed that if I go to Window mode first (I always fly in full screen), it seems to work ok everytime.  In fact the selection show up almost instantaneously, whereas in full screen it always takes a couple of seconds to load (if it doesn't fail as I described).  I guess its not a big problem as long as I remember to go to Window Mode first.

Jim

Do you have two monitors?

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

There's a problem with two monitors if you go to full screen and then try to move a fsx window to the other monitor.  Yes, it will work but, when you start moving the object in the second monitor, your system will go black and everything will freeze up.  This can happen too if you are in Windowed mode but most of the time it will work without problems.  Just realize you are using more system resources when you move things to another monitor.  I suspect this is a bug in FSX.  At least I know of no fix other than staying in Windowed Mode.

I had a long post here in the CTD forum where I was getting a BEX/StackHash crash (only after I shut FSX down).  I could not figure out why and did a lot of research.  I fixed it by reinstalling Windows and FSX (did that only because I had an issue with a HDD driver).  I subsequently found out the solution (other than reinstalling everything).  If I close FSX in Windowed Mode, no BEX/StackHash error.  If I close FSX in Full Screen Mode, I'll get the BEX/StackHash crash (only when I shut down and not during game play).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

That is very interesting about the second monitor.  I don't recall ever having that particular problem though.  I drag things from within FSX to the second monitor all the time without incident.  I have always noticed that when I select anything from the Add Ons menu that there was always a delay (black screen) before the selection appeared.  Lately, however, the screen would just stay black with the only choice being to reboot.

As I stated though, Windowed Mode seems to work fine with no delay and I can live with that.

Thanks for all the info.  Appreciate your taking the time to help.

Jim