Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

DX10 + Tiberiusrr + SweetFX

Greetings, 

A while back I posted a thread about SweetFX being an astounding addon for DX10, but having flown more I have found some flies in the ointment.

However, I did want to highlight a suggestion from another "junior" member, Tiberiusrr. To wit:

---

I'm using Steve's shader fixes and just the following settings to get very good AA in DX10:

FSX:                       AA = enable

in fsx.cfg:                MultiSamplesPerPixel=8   and  MultiSampleQuality=8
Nvidia Inspector:    8*Sparse Grid Supersampling  (nothing else neccessary!)

Really smooth and stable 30 fps (unlimited in fsx and 30fps-limited in Nvidia Inspector) everywhere i tested so far...

Give it a try if you didn't, nothing to loose   

---

Tried it, love it! All those tortured Nvidia settings, gone. And as he points out, even with a "lowly" GTX 560, the view is rock solid and smoooooth. It also seemed to mitigate some of the AA artifacts that I have discovered in SweetFX.

Basically, it appears that SweetFX is introducing AA artifacts. I have tested this at numerous places, and it is consistent. Using the settings above, I get a screen that is AA artifact free except in real borderline situations. Using Orbx PNW, I take off from KTTD (Portland Troutdale, my reference test airport as it has a little bit of everything in close proximity) in a frame-friendly aircraft, such as the default FSX Cessna 172. Clear air, high-noon, no weather engines, and altitude set for 1600ft. Focus is purely on topography. There are quite a few industrial parks in Portland/Vancouver, 2-3 stories high, long and low. With the setting above, these are 95-percent artifact free - just terrific.

With SweetFX toggled on, however, these long and low buildings turn into a squirmy toads, full of AA-artifacts!

Now, why would something that that is only supposed to increase pixel saturation introduce AA artifacts? Even if I use the SMAA setting they exist. Turn off LumaSharpen, still exists. 
WTH?

That being said, I still like SweetFX. Flying out of Kalispel or somewhere that doesn't have a lot of industrial parks full of long, low buildings the effect is dramatic and pleasing. Just wish I understood why it is introducing artifacts that FSX and Nvidea have removed!

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Artifacting is introduced by trying to get too much done with a gpu that has only 1gig of memory....

30 mins later....

Just to add to this post (I was on the phone as I was writing the first response)- we would really prefer to look at your fsx.cfg, JK, as all else is guesswork. Use the Full Editor, copy and rename your fsx.cfg as JKH_fsx_cfg.txt - that way you can attach it to the post instead of merely copy/pasting the cfg contents into an almost "unreadably" long post.

Thanks,

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Artifacting is introduced by trying to get too much done with a gpu that has only 1gig of memory....

Heya Paul, 

I think you may be right - I reverted my Nvidea setting back to the AVSIM recommendations - it seems the GTX 560 does not have sufficient raw horsepower to drive complex images, particularly when I introduced "weather". 

It is a never-ending quest... I wonder what GTX 580 units are going for on eBay...   :)

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Heya Paul, 

I think you may be right - I reverted my Nvidea setting back to the AVSIM recommendations - it seems the GTX 560 does not have sufficient raw horsepower to drive complex images, particularly when I introduced "weather". 

It is a never-ending quest... I wonder what GTX 580 units are going for on eBay...   :)

JKH

... um... I just moved to a 780, and my 580 is now for sale - gimme 220$ Can. plus shipping and it's yours. Box, literature and cables.

The bike.. The Duke..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

... um... I just moved to a 780, and my 580 is now for sale - gimme 220$ Can. plus shipping and it's yours. Box, literature and cables.

The bike.. The Duke..

Sold! Give me a shout at howellerman @ att.net to iron out the particulars.

Besides, how can I say no to a guy that owns both a Bonnie and a rare Duc single!!

Sometimes life works...

John Howell

Ok, will do, JK. - I'll do it first thing in the morning, I have a lovely wife who'se waiting (  :Waiting: ) for me upstairs, (  :Thinking:  ) so I have to shut down the pc in a sec or two..........  :Hug:  

All the Best,