Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Improving AI reverser sounds

With FSHotSFX not an option  - :mad: - in Windows 7, I have been trying for several months (on and off) to improve my AI sounds in FS9. By tweaking various sound files I have reasonably good AI jet sounds, as a/c pass by (basically, I edited and amplified the file xai_lgjet01.wav, using WavePad). What is missing is reverser sounds though. I have installed reverser sound packages, and they do produce reverser sounds in AI traffic: you can hear them, especially if you replace the AI jet sounds file xai_lgjet01.wav with a dummy, silent file of the same name: then, if you sit next to, say, runway 09L at Heathrow and listen to the a/c as they land, they now pass by in silence, until they touch down, then the reverser sound is clearly audible, though pretty feeble and short-lived. I don't want to be blown away by the noise the reversers make of course, but having lived near to real-life airports, I know that these sounds are in fact pretty noticeable from some distance away. Which is not the case in FS9.

I have tried amplifying the reverser wav files (principally, 'imp_large_a.wav') to a point below distortion. But the difference in the sim is minimal. I have the sound/environment slider set to 100% (not ideal as other environment sounds are then unrealistic). 

Does anyone know how to edit the parameters in the touchdown fx file (Effects/fx_tchdwn.fx) so that the sound carries over a greater distance? (Some report this is not possible: maybe not, but what are all the lines in the fx file?).  Is it possible to increase the volume by editing the same fx file? (Again, I suspect not, but someone may well know more than I do in this). I have tried to find out what all the various parameters do (particle velocity, Lifetime etc. etc.), but only partially successfully and I am not sure what values to change. Doing things by trial and error hasn't so far produced good results. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree?

My previous enquiry was here (not too much info available for FS9):

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?p=272600#poststop

and the FX Editor mentioned is here (doesn't seem to have changed since 2011):

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FXEditor

Thanks.

Martin

Hi Martin. What I have been using for years is a set of files that I found in one of the SKJ AI aircraft files : SKJ_TU154_v3 from that 'other' AVSIM. For these files to work you will need to hand edit any AI aircraft configuration you want to have the reverser sound so you have: touchdown =SKJ_fx_tchdwn, 1

Note -------- I also tweaked the sounds for increased volume with a little distortion added with MS sound recorder (nothing fancy). The sounds can be heard at a reasonable distance but not as good as real life.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mel

I'll check this out, thanks - though so far I have only found texture files there, nothing containing any sound files.

Not sure that sound files themselves will help though, as the file I already have really roars out in WMP... but not in FS9...

I have come back to this thread as it seems to me that I can hear no reverser sounds at all at airports these days. I have tried installing sounds and effects from new_ai-snd.zip in the library, but still nothing.

That file has not too far short of 8000 downloads, so I assume it must work - unless there are almost 8000 disappointed people out there. Is there a trick to setting this up? The wav file is in my main sound folder and the aircraft.cfg files have the necessary tweaks. I have set 'Environment' in the FS9 options/sounds menu to 75%. How do I get the 'screaming reversers' the developer boasts of? Anyone hear it?

How I mourn the sad 'demise' of FSHotSFX (for anyone who moved on from Windows XP, that is)!!!