Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Do i need a mesh product?

I have UTX and GEX.

Do i need a mesh product then? Does UTX anything to mesh resolution?

Thanks.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Mesh is a seperate thing, so I'm assuming yes. FS Global for meshes.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You don't NEED it. You may want it, but that's another story. I never bought a mesh product and I've been flying for decades. I did however buy a few FTX regions that come with mesh included. And I use a freeware mesh for Norway. But anyway, mesh is completely optional.

What is FSX standard resolution? 74m?

How good can it get in Europe/Denmark?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

What is FSX standard resolution? 74m?

How good can it get in Europe/Denmark?

i dunno for sure what the standard is, but that sounds about right.

as far as how good it gets, i know the NEXTMAP stuff from fsgenesis is around 10m, at least in europe.

i personally prefer to use mesh upgrades wherever possible, the difference they make ranges from subtle to amazing but it's always better than default.

cheers,

-andy crosby

Sounds like i should get fsgenesis.

So, there is landclass, mesh and terrain(UTX)

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

So i will use landclass=GEX

Mesh=fsgenesis

Scenery=UTX

Does that sounds about right?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Sounds good to me. There is also the option of FSGlobal for mesh.

One thing that can be irritating when using addon mesh products is that some airports appear to sit on a plateau. Have a search for the plateau effect on this forum.

Gavin Price

Mesh=fsgenesis

Scenery=UTX

actually, it's more like this:

landclass=UTX

mesh=fsg

textures=GEX

'scenery' doesnt really mean anything in this instance that is a very broad term lol

the 'plateau' issue is from like 5 years ago is not really a thing anymore, the fsg stuff anyway has overrides that fix the airport altitudes. i have found in the last year or two maybe two or three airports where it's sort of awkward, at small sized fields in bulgaria and romania. all the mainland europe, usa and canada airports i've seen were pretty spot on. ultimately it's worth it to me if there's something like that if it means an exchange of thousands of square km around it are much more detailed

anyway good luck. maybe buy a small region first to see if you like it!

cheers

-andy crosby

Mesh=fsgenesis

Scenery=UTX

IMHO, you need to use a landclass product like Scenery Tech (available from Flight1) or Cloud 9 X-Class if you can find it (I can no longer do so) in addition to the above items.  Landclass will improve what you see even if you are using GEX & UTX.

IMHO, you need to use a landclass product like Scenery Tech (available from Flight1) or Cloud 9 X-Class if you can find it (I can no longer do so) in addition to the above items.  Landclass will improve what you see even if you are using GEX & UTX.

it's somewhat subjective. i actually prefer the landclass that comes with UTX. scenerytech's adds this weird camouflage-ish interpolation to a lot of borders between areas that is really fake looking in a lot of areas i fly..

i do use cloud9 for south america and other areas that aren't covered by utx..

anyway there's lots of options

cheers

-andy crosby

But then you don't use the landclass of UTX but only the road lights?

Do you mean to say that other landclass products are better than UTX?

I wouldn't know myself.

actually, it's more like this:

landclass=UTX

mesh=fsg

textures=GEX

Well, not entirely either. UTX isn't a landclass product as such. It comes with some landclass but it isn't a specific landclass product. It's more about actual coastlines and roads which afaik you might call something like vector landclass. 'Real' landclass tells FSX what kind of textures to use where. So if you want good landclass, you would need a landclass addon like the ones Dan (woodhick) mentioned.

BTW Did you already own GEX or did you just buy it? If so: that's a pity because FTX Global will be released within a week or so and it will blow GEX out of the water. (Well, imho.)

The best list would be this:

landclass = Scenery Tech (for instance) or OpenLC in the future (which is the upcomming landclass addon from Orbx)

mesh = FSGenesis (for instance)

textures = GEX or preferably the upcoming FTX Global

vector landclass = UTX

EDIT

Others have posted in the meantime. Concerning UTX's landclass: UTX's main focus isn't landclass but roads and waters. Together with that you get some new textures (parsk, golf courses, etc.) and indeed landclass, but that main focus of that landclass are metropolitan areas. It's a limited landclass and if you want really good landclass, you simply have to get a specialized landclass addon imho. I certainly am not saying Scenery Tech is the best but it's the only one I have used in the past. (I ONLY use freeware landclass (and mesh) for Norway now and I will be waiting to see what OpenLC will do!)

But then you don't use the landclass of UTX but only the road lights?

Do you mean to say that other landclass products are better than UTX?

I wouldn't know myself.

No, you will use all the UTX roads and UTX waters (vector landclass) and you might also use the UTX texture enhancements and UTX night lighting. And lets not forget traffic on all roads. This is what UTX really is about and it has nothing to do with regular landclass. Landclass is just a very small part of UTX.

I already have GEX, and wil get ftx global ASAP when it is released.

Both GEX and FTX Global are both textures replacer, right?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Correct, paparomeo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta