Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Do i need a mesh product?

Well, not entirely either. UTX isn't a landclass product as such. It comes with some landclass but it isn't a specific landclass product.

Just to mention (again) that the Europe version of the product does come with complete land classification data.

Not all of Scenery Solutions products are the same. Ultimate Alaska X includes it's own terrain mesh.
Not all of the Orbx FTX regional products are the same. FTX Australia doesn't include it's own terrain mesh (a freeware 76 metre one is available, however).

The necessity of having a mesh product varies greatly, dependent on the region where you do your flying. In Canada, where I do 99.9% of my flying, a mesh product is very noticeable in British Columbia with its large number of mountains and small coastal islands (think lighthouse territory). Meanwhile, in Manitoba and Saskatchewan (Canadian Prairies), you really don't notice much of a difference at all.

What is FSX standard resolution? 74m?

How good can it get in Europe/Denmark?

Btw this varies by the area, I believe most of Asia, Africa and South America are in 612m resolution, so if you fly in those areas you definitely should get some kind of mesh.

I can recommend these ones from FSGenesis, 76m coverage for South America, Asia and Africa, also Siberia & Northern Russia available if you feel like you need those:

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GLOBX

Of course then for many areas there are better resolution meshes available, however this is a good base.

But then you don't use the landclass of UTX but only the road lights?

Do you mean to say that other landclass products are better than UTX?

Read several of the posts prior to this as to UTX and landclass--it really it is not exactly "Landclass" as compared to the true Landclass programming. The differences can at first appear subtle but in reality are not. See especially the posts by J van E.

Having said that, you need UTX for those roads, rivers, etc and more. Like many things, the more you know, the more complicated things get.

I got the 10m mesh from fsgenesis.

Huge difference!

Much more detail.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

I'm pretty sure North America is 38m - but that may be just the USA.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I recently got hold of SceneryTech for use with GEX and UTX, it ended up being a little rediculous when I found houses and villages strewn across the tops of mountains of southern Spain!!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I recently got hold of SceneryTech for use with GEX and UTX, it ended up being a little rediculous when I found houses and villages strewn across the tops of mountains of southern Spain!!

Hm, that's not so great, I was just about to grab these myself after following Dan and J van E's superb explanations.

I have the complete FSGlobal, UTX and GEX series (I am waiting to see the feedback here before I switch GEX with FTXG), maybe ok to just wait a little longer for the FTX LC products too..?

23.png

Which is the better one for mesh? FS Global or FS Genesis.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hm, that's not so great, I was just about to grab these myself after following Dan and J van E's superb explanations.

Couple of things here, the simplest (?) first:  Remember, like UTX & GEX, these are only generic products, not any form of photoreal at all so I would always expect some inaccuracies to occur. 

And secondly:  Have you positioned the landclass properly in your add-on scenery library??   Here's an extended quote from my FSX installation diary :

>>>> Installed Cloud9 X-Class landclass.  Note, all North America  landclass products must be positioned as below to insure proper operation.

UT LANDCLASS - Urban

LANDCLASS X <-------------- Place all landclass products between the UTX Urban and Vegetation layers and enable as needed (only ONE)

LANDCLASS Y <------------------|

LANDCLASS Z <------------------|

UT LANDCLASS - Vegetation                                         

Reminder--you need to delete the X-Class seasonsc9.bgl

file so the seasons will display properly. <<<<

Obviously, deleting the bgl file applies only to the X-Class program, not Scenery-Tech.

But again, yes, I think there will always be some inaccuracies present but the overall scenery presentation is better, IMHO.  Hopes this clarifies more than it muddies the water.