Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

Bad or good idea to put the OS on the slowest harddrive ?

I have heard contradictory answers to that question. When taking the service at FSGS I was told to always put the the OS on the fastest drive. NickN has told me the opposite is true. The argument for that has been that it's that important how fast the OS load compared to how FSX loads things. But I wonder if the OS really loads once and then does not access the drive anymore ? For example there was a utility for Win XP that monitored file activity. And while just displaying the desktop there was an tremendous amount of file activity. And does not the OS access the virtual memory in the page file during the time an application is run ? Or maybe it's not needed with 8 GB RAM ?

So when building a new system should you get a slow cheap drive for the OS or spend more money on a faster one ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think that what Nick meant was to put the OS on the slowest drive that you have and put FSX on the fastest.  It is not like he recommended when you build a new PC that you put the OS on a slow drive.

If you are building a PC put the OS on the fasted 7200 RPM HD that you can get.  If you have the money put the OS on a SSD.  If you have one HD/SSD that is slower than your other HD/SSD put FSX on the fastest one and the OS on the slower one.

For FSX if you have the money put FSX on a SSD, next step down is a 10,000 RPM WD Vrap HD, last is line is the fasted 7200 RPM HD you can find.  Will you see a difference is FPS, probably not, but you should see a difference in how fluid the sim is and a difference in the amount of microstutters.

I think that what Nick meant was to put the OS on the slowest drive that you have and put FSX on the fastest. It is not like he recommended when you build a new PC that you put the OS on a slow drive.

Yes I understood he meant that. And I wonder if that is the best thing to do for reasons I wrote in my first post  ?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383881-how-different-hdds-and-ssds-performs-with-fsx/ (links to the missing pictures are in a post further down).

There are still small files that are required to be accessed from the OS drive after the OS is loaded and you are flying in FSX. So if you install the OS on a high access time (bad) drive you'll get stutters in FSX even if you have it on a separate low access time drive (SSD).

The OS should never be installed on a high access time drive. If you build a new system it's always worth spending a little bit of money on the OS drive.

Yes I understood he meant that. And I wonder if that is the best thing to do for reasons I wrote in my first post  ?

For optimum performance the best thing is to put both on the fastest drive you can afford when you build.  For most people the choice would be between a SSD, WD Vrap, HD.  The best choice if you have the money is to put each on their own SSD.  If you have one HD and one VRap I would put the OS on the HD and FSX on the Vrap.  If you have one HD and one SSD, again I would put the OS on the HD and FSX on the SSD.  While it is true that the OS is accessing the FSX drive, FSX is accessing the FSX drive a whole lot more while FSX is running.  The goal is to get FSX running as smooth as possible (note that I said smooth and not as may FPS as possible) and to do that FSX needs to be on your fastest drive.

If you are one of the few people that have some program on your OS drive that has to run fast then the standard rule of thumb maybe reversed for you, in my opinion there are always exceptions to pretty much every rule.  In this case though I know of no program that would be on the OS drive that has to be on a faster drive than FSX.

In my new 4770K build the OS and FSX will be on their own 840 Pro 256GB SSD.  All my FSX photo scenery will be on two Crucial M500 960GB SSD's.