Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

would an Intel upgrade be worth it?

As some of you may know I'm running an fx8350 at 4.5ghz but I'm thinking about moving to Intel what Intel cpu would be a good upgrade I plan to overclock it to the Max and I don't want to spend more then $400 on a chip. I know haswell is the newest but Ive read the the 2700k at 5ghz is good aswell would it be worththe extra money to get a new haswell and overclock it or just get the 2700k and overclock it to 5ghz

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

2700k is a waste of money - get the 2500k if this is just for simming, or the 2600k if you use other programs such as photoshop, video rendering, etc.. the 2700k is exactly the 2600k but with higher clock.. you can obviously overclock the 2600k, the 2700k will NOT overclock MORE than the 2500k or 2600k.

This would be an fsx only pc like as in the only thing that would be on the Pc would be the OS and fsx and related addons

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

the 2700k is exactly the 2600k but with higher clock..

The 2700K is actually a higher binned version of the same 2600K CPU. Higher binned chips are stable at lower voltages with the same or higher clockspeed as their 2600K counterparts. 

Question is would one of those processors give a major FPS boost VS just clocking my FX up to 5ghz

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Question is would one of those processors give a major FPS boost VS just clocking my FX up to 5ghz

Yes. I would go for an I5 4670K @ some 4.5GHz that should be about a 40-50% faster for pretty cheap