Sign in to follow this  
markjj

777 Hydraulic Noise Before Touchdown

Hey guys, I just had a quick question that I'm sure many of you know the answer to. On any 777 landing you've been on or have seen on youtube, it is easy to tell that at around 30 feet AGL, there is a hydraulic hum that sounds similar to the flap extention and retraction noise. I read that this process is the sound of certain hydraulic pumps activating at exactly 30 feet above the runway. Can anyone confirm this? I was also wondering if this sound can be heard from up front in the cockpit, because it sure would be a nice little touch to hear while landing the PMDG 777, but I know that whatever it sounds like in the cockpit in real life will be correctly simulated in the PMDG. Thanks

Sincerely, Mark Javornik

Mark Javornik

Can anyone confirm this? I was also wondering if this sound can be heard from up front in the cockpit, because it sure would be a nice little touch to hear while landing the PMDG 777, but I know that whatever it sounds like in the cockpit in real life will be correctly simulated in the PMDG.

I don't know what you're talking about (haven't flown in a 777 in ages), but I doubt that you can hear it up front.  That's just my thought, however.  You're well ahead of where that noise is likely coming from.

Kyle Rodgers

Yup, it's one of the ADP's kicking in at exactly 30 feet in anticipation of the demand for the spoilers. I'm pretty sure they'll simulate this, but as far as the sound it would probably only be heard in the wing view. 

Brian W

Brian W

KPAE

Im hoping and praying that they give us flap sounds, gear sounds, and the hydraulics sounds you're talking about when in wing views like they did for the NGX

they probably will. "like they did in the NGX." And not have them in the cockpit where they can't be heard in real life. You probably won't be able to hear the flight attendants gossiping in the rear galley either.

One of the reasons I like to sit by the TE Flaps! Absolutely love those sounds. Gives you a real feel for what's going on internally! 

One of the reasons I like to sit by the TE Flaps! Absolutely love those sounds. Gives you a real feel for what's going on internally! 

You'll love the A380 then, those are noisy flaps for a modern plane. 

You'll love the A380 then, those are noisy flaps for a modern plane. 

Well Alex, once upon a time I did have a little 'thing' for the A380....... Only lasted a month or two in 2009 LOL. Was after I done work experience at Heathrow - company stuck me with them the whole week pretty much! But yeah those sounds are.. quite loud - to say the least  :lol:  :P

But yeah those sounds are.. quite loud - to say the least

Its funny how the plane is loud on some aspects but its whisper quiet in others/

Was after I done work experience at Heathrow - company stuck me with them the whole week pretty much!

Working around the MD-80's had the opposite effect on me, I've grown to extremely dislike that flying scrapheap lol

I've always enjoyed the sounds of the cargo dog on the 'buses (the PTU).

Why?  Because it sounds like a dog.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes indeed chaps - this sound will be heard on the wing views just like the video!   :Party:

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Yes indeed chaps - this sound will be heard on the wing views just like the video!   :Party:

Fantastic Armen!! ((-:

You have to wonder, are the flaps really much louder though, or is the A380 just extremely quiet, i remember reading an article about the pilots complaining that the A380 was too quiet and they couldnt get good quality rest because of noises they wouldnt normally hear during a flight.

You have to wonder, are the flaps really much louder though, or is the A380 just extremely quiet, i remember reading an article about the pilots complaining that the A380 was too quiet and they couldnt get good quality rest because of noises they wouldnt normally hear during a flight.

Very true!  ^_^