Sign in to follow this  
swafan10

What part of project?

Well, to me it sounds more like Mu, or Phi, or perhaps even Kappa...

Oh, wait...are we talking about fraternities here?

Nothing to see here.  Move along...

obi-wan.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

I think it's a general thing to always estimate at least two months after the current month - it's been that way since last year LOL. It'll be ready when it's ready! 

It'll be ready when it's ready!

If I had a quid for every time I read that phrase, I'd have the funds for a self-sponsored integrated course at OAA :)

If I had a quid for every time I read that phrase, I'd have the funds for a self-sponsored integrated course at OAA :)

But it's the most true phrase on this forum...

But it's the most true phrase on this forum...

True but I just can't wait for this beauty to come out. A day hasn't passed where I haven't thought of it.

True but I just can't wait for this beauty to come out. A day hasn't passed where I haven't thought of it.

Join the queue buddy! :LMAO:

Join the queue buddy! :LMAO:

Only if you let jump the queue...:)

Only if you let jump the queue...:)

You'll have to deal with the gate agent for that one (-;

I don't think we are as far away as some in this thread are implying. I remember on the NGX that wide bete lasted a while. However I think that PMDG are doing it differently this time by not releasing the product to the wide beta team until they have a release candidate. 

I think we will get a post from Robert saying they have got a release candidate, have released it to the beta team, and all going well release will be in a week.

What do you think guys? Do you think the internal testing is dif than the NGX one?

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

As someone with no experience in software development, can anyone kind of give me a lay of the land on testing and development. Im sure each developer probably does it differently, and if I recall, PMDG staff may have described the process before (regarding FAQs on 'can I be a Beta tester?' or something). 

That said, how does it typically flow at PMDG? Would those with specific technical expertise, such as current/former pilots be internal or Beta? Who are the kinds of people that test the product at all stages? What kinds of backgrounds are covered when it comes to selecting folks for any internal alpha beta etc.?

Basically, if anyone has a good idea on how testing works in FSX a/c addons I'd love to hear about it.

Depends on the developer.

For PMDG, from what they have told us - they have a separate tech team and a separate beta team.

Tech team is comprised of people with actuall 777 experience as line pilots, mechanics or maybe some folks from Boeing.

Beta team is mainly comprised of people who are known to PMDG, reliable, have a knowledge of simulators and are willing to do actual betatesting (which might sound like fun, getting the airplane, flying around, trying to notice bugs, but it is quite far from that.

Usually betatesting is done on the basis of repeating same mindbogging task over and over again. For example, you might get told to time the IRS alignment at 50 random airports. Or you might be tasked with recording the engine start for 50 different temperatures from -50 to +50 C. Or you might have to try and isolate a bug that seemingly happens in random, but it later turns out it happens when it is Thursday and your computer clock indicates 22 minutes past the hour...

It is important that betatesters have a wide range of computers and simming styles. Bugs will surface. Some bugs will not surface on the computers developers use, but only on slow ones. Or on AMDs. Or, somewhat paradoxically, only on very fast computers (had that one happen to me in a project. Took a couple days of constant change a bit - compile - send out - start FS - crash - send logs - change a bit - compile - send out... cycle.)

"but it later turns out it happens when it is Thursday and your computer clock indicates 22 minutes past the hour..."

Hahaaa, :-)

Funny and I could totally see this being a quite accurate description of how it works.

Rob Robson