Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

Would like to ask a simple question from PMDG

Hello, PMDG team,

I've a simple question.  If you'd please answer it, I'd be appreciative.  It's a simple yes or know answer.  No, I don't want to know when it releases; when it's done, it will be released.

McPhat...  Their textures really woke up the 737NGX, the 747-400, and the MD-11.  For those that don't know, they are more than a simple repaint.  While PMDG does a great job with the technical portion of the aircraft subject (I would say impeccable, but there's always a naysayer in the crowd), the liveries and details are flat.  I'm not talking about the VC, just the exterior of the airframe.  VC is superb. 

I have no interest in getting into the politics of anything that "went down" re: the NGX repaints between McPhat and PMDG.  Not that I don't care, it's just none of my business.  They are superb, I will say that.

My question is, "Are you guys going to sit down, sort it out, and shake hands, or what?"  I'd like to see what PMDG and McPhat could work out re: the 777; I think it would be visually above par.  I think that the two of you making peace would benefit both companies and the user community.  Personally, I'll bet that I could do a random sampling of PMDG users and statistically prove to PMDG that the use of McPhat skins would be desirable with a 95% confidence level. 

So there's my question.  A simple one to answer.  Otherwise, I need to do my own repaints, which I can do, but I make jets look grungy, just like they really do.

Disclaimer:  This thread represents my own opinion and nothing else nor no other person's opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Cheers.

Kev

I kid you not I was just thinking about this less than 3 minutes ago. You mention a random sampling? I put in my vote for yes: I want to see McPhat 777 paints.

You can put me down for an I don't care vote. Personally, I find McPhat liveries to be exaggerated. The wear is cool, but the bump mapping is overdone.

Kyle Rodgers

I think users should have the option of using McPhat repaints. The repaints may be exaggerated, but so are payware airports with unrealistic, high-contrast colors—sometimes these exaggerated features look more aesthetically appealing than their "realistic" counterparts, due to FSX graphics/lighting limitations. The best example: FlightSoft Hong Kong versus FlyTampa Hong Kong.

Right, but the issue at hand is the aircraft. The airports don't really have reprints to choose from anyway. Just different developers, as you mentioned.

I don't think anyone is trying to remove the option to choose to use other liveries.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes to mcphat for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Mcphat is amazing, and would love the two companies to get along. It is a small group us flightsimmers, and it is sad to see two great companies not get along, at the cost of the rest of the community. 

Doesn't matter to me.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I actually really like the painters PMDG use... Going with Kyle on this one. 

Just don't care. Can't see myself buying repaints.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Just don't care. Can't see myself buying repaints.

Same here, I'll fly the house colors if its the only freeware option. 

I wouldn't buy Mcphat repaints. I have seen them in use and found them the most ugly textures I have seen on the 747 and MD-11.  They look like the aircraft have been sitting in the sun so all the paint fades away, then covered in a shiny, glossy oil.  Not realistic at all.  and the resolution didn't even seem better than the default textures, which on the NGX and 777 are such a high resolution you can read everything.  Just have a look at Avsim, Hundreds of NGX liveries all in better resolution than any other of my add-ons. I expect the 777 to be the same. No need to pay $20 for a pack of 5 liveries, some of which you might use only a handful of times.

I'll let the very talented group of freeware re-painters do their magic and upload their amazing generously free repaints to the avsim.com library. They all do amazing work, and I am very grateful that they do it all for free! Some even appear to do requests! Even fictional ones! I'm sure we're going to see a bunch of B777-200LR's flying around in the liveries of airlines that have never seen a B777-200LR in their real life fleets just months after the release.