Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

Would like to ask a simple question from PMDG

That's my opinion too, i prefer Chris Hicks liveries for example over McPhat.

I have great faith that PMDG will provide a stunning sim.

I don't care about liveries because I can't see them from the cockpit.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I'll fly the house colors if its the only freeware option

Although in the past some people have joked about the PMDG house livery, I think its pretty stlylish and actually really like it! Probably will be flying it around to do all the testing/learning etc. then choose a livery for the 1st "revenue" flight.

With Kyle, Luke and Richard on this one. I wouldn't buy a repaint anyway but who really cares? Only times I look at the airplane from the outside is when I'm in cruise or before a flight when I load up to check that my actual position corresponds to the intended gate/parking spot. Then I really couldn't give a toss about shiny rivets, can't really see them from the cockpit.

With Kyle, Luke and Richard on this one. I wouldn't buy a repaint anyway but who really cares? Only times I look at the airplane from the outside is when I'm in cruise or before a flight when I load up to check that my actual position corresponds to the intended gate/parking spot. Then I really couldn't give a toss about shiny rivets, can't really see them from the cockpit.

I agree, I do not need for payware liveries because I fly from the cockpit and seldom if never look at the plane from outside. And there is nobody else to look at the plane either even on network (the rendering being network one).

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Wouldn't pay for a repaint. PMDG puts out nice ones but you'll notice they can't cover every airline. That leads other people who have a talent to put them on the AVSIM library ( among other places) for free. It only has to look nice. I spend the overwhelming majority of time in the cockpit.

Richie Walsh

I don't exactly see myself paying for liveries, when the liveries in question look like they've been rinsed with bleech, then parked outside in the blistering sun for 5 years, then bleeched again...

I wouldn't buy a repaint anyway but who really cares? Only times I look at the airplane from the outside is when I'm in cruise or before a flight when I load up to check that my actual position corresponds to the intended gate/parking spot. Then I really couldn't give a toss about shiny rivets, can't really see them from the cockpit.

Had that same opinion until I got some for the Wilco EMB series. Will never not buy the liveries when they are available. They are stunning repaints, that are really missed on most PMDG planes.

I honestly believe that anyone who hasn't spent any appreciable amount of time around an actual, physical aircraft, on the outside, would love the McPhat liveries.  Those who have, and have worked alongside aircraft (more specifically, have touched them) would know that the McPhat hand is a little heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I own some of their work for the Wilco EMB145, but that's because the default paints were weak at best, and some of the liveries I wanted were only available from McPhat.

In any case, the weathering is nice, but the bump mapping is insane.  Planes have been smooth since the Howard Hughes days.  Bumps induce drag.  Heck, even 30 year old GA planes use countersunk screws to kill as much drag as possible, and they fly at less than half of the speed.  The McPhat guys have some great talent, but an eye for realism seems to be lost on them.

Kyle Rodgers

scandinavian13, on 15 Jul 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I honestly believe that anyone who hasn't spent any appreciable amount of time around an actual, physical aircraft, on the outside, would love the McPhat liveries. Those who have, and have worked alongside aircraft (more specifically, have touched them) would know that the McPhat hand is a little heavy.

Bingo - I've spent a lot of time now up close around the real things (in no small part due to having this job) and the skin of a real aircraft just doesn't look like those liveries. Rivets are meant to *not* be all raised up and exaggerated like they depict. That would cause a ton of drag if they actually looked like that. The other issue I've always had with them is the "ice" or "plastic wrap" type reflective look - again, real airplanes generally don't have that look to them. You might be able to get something sort of like it it if you have the sun at just the right angle on a very new/clean airplane, but in general anything I've been up close to or ridden on seemed much more matte or flat looking from the majority of viewing angles.

Regardless though, the problems between our companies are not about aesthetics. This is between them and RSR so I'm not going to comment further on the actual issues.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I honestly believe that anyone who hasn't spent any appreciable amount of time around an actual, physical aircraft, on the outside, would love the McPhat liveries.  Those who have, and have worked alongside aircraft (more specifically, have touched them) would know that the McPhat hand is a little heavy.

Hear hear. The only thing that got close was that one 737 with about 20 doublers on it on various places... but then again, that was decidedly not factory fresh.

Interestingly enough, airplane skin could get a kinda wavy, orange peel-y look/structure over time... never seen that on a repaint...

I'll let the very talented group of freeware re-painters do their magic and upload their amazing generously free repaints to the avsim.com library. They all do amazing work, and I am very grateful that they do it all for free! Some even appear to do requests! Even fictional ones! I'm sure we're going to see a bunch of B777-200LR's flying around in the liveries of airlines that have never seen a B777-200LR in their real life fleets just months after the release.

Fictionals can be fun, especially if it's one of your favorite airlines (like TWA and PanAm for me) who would never get a chance to fly the 777 in real life.  Of course, they never flew the 737 either....but when you're a painter, you get to paint what YOU want to fly, hehe.  I painted the ones you see below a while ago for the "other" 737 because I wanted to see what the 737 would look like dressed up in these liveries.

I may paint the 777 in TWA and PanAm just because I happen to like them, and they were icons in the airline world I grew up in (and was fortunate...and old enough, to have flown on them).

I don't mind taking requests, but I've pretty much retired from painting a while ago and really only paint when something comes out I want to fly and the paint doesn't exist (like when the EMB 175/195 came out and I painted her in a bunch of liveries, all posted here on Avsim).

If you send me a request, please don't expect me to jump right on it, if at all.  I know that may sound rude, but so would saying I don't take requests so don't send me one.  That's not completely true either...I do consider all requests, and if you happen to request one that meets a list of criteria, I'll paint her.

Just so you know, most painters have a criteria they follow (or should) when they decide to take a request or not:

1. Do I have the plane?  I just finished a paint for someone where I didn't even own the plane, that is a tough way to paint, but can be done :)

2. Is there a paintkit?  Is it a good paintkit?

3. Are the texture maps well designed and easy to copy your paint on to?  I could write volumes on how a poorly designed texture map can increase the paint time by a factor of 10!

4. Have I painted the airline before?  Most painters have a "portfolio" of airlines they've painted before and if so, it's a simple matter reusing all the textures you spent alot of time getting just right on another project.

5. How complex is the livery?  Peter Maxx? forget it! Hehe...personally don't like the paint anyway. 

6. And the last one...and if you meet this one, the paint is as good as yours: Does the painter want that livery as well, LOL!

So like I mentioned above, if you want the 777 in TWA (Twin Globe is the only real TWA livery in my eyes) or PamAm, you may be in luck. :)

Oh, one fun thing about painting fictionals, unlike a real life aircraft, is that you don't have to move a OneWorld or SkyTeam sticker 2 rivets to the left because someone points out how fake your paint would look if you didn't move it for them. :)

Regards,

Steve Dra

Freeware Painter (retired, hehe)

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Bingo - I've spent a lot of time now up close around the real things (in no small part due to having this job) and the skin of a real aircraft just doesn't look like those liveries. Rivets are meant to *not* be all raised up and exaggerated like they depict. That would cause a ton of drag if they actually looked like that. The other issue I've always had with them is the "ice" or "plastic wrap" type reflective look - again, real airplanes generally don't have that look to them. You might be able to get something sort of like it it if you have the sun at just the right angle on a very new/clean airplane, but in general anything I've been up close to or ridden on seemed much more matte or flat looking from the majority of viewing angles.

Regardless though, the problems between our companies are not about aesthetics. This is between them and RSR so I'm not going to comment further on the actual issues.

Tabs,

Having fixed jets for many years, and been in and around the commercial ones a lot longer, I'll agree with you on the rivets and the sometimes-glossiness. They (rivets) should be countersunk rivets, not huck-style rivets. Actually, military aircraft go from flat to glossy with age of the paint. Other than that, I've seen a thousand commercial aircraft in a hundred or more liveries that, from a dirt, color, and weathering aspect, look very much like the McPhat paints.

Don't want you to comment on the issues, that's an internal affair. I can respect the privacy.

For all those repainters out there who offer their wares for free, it is much appreciated. Some are stunning. All take effort. This is nothing against you. Your work is greatly appreciated by the community.

Hear hear. The only thing that got close was that one 737 with about 20 doublers on it on various places... but then again, that was decidedly not factory fresh.

Interestingly enough, airplane skin could get a kinda wavy, orange peel-y look/structure over time... never seen that on a repaint...

You're referring to stress-warping in the fuselage and empennage. I have seen it on a PMDG aircraft, think on the NGX. Was on the vertical stab if memory serves. Hard to do because the model of the skin has to be warped.

Fictionals can be fun, especially if it's one of your favorite airlines (like TWA and PanAm for me) who would never get a chance to fly the 777 in real life. Of course, they never flew the 737 either....but when you're a painter, you get to paint what YOU want to fly, hehe. I painted the ones you see below a while ago for the "other" 737 because I wanted to see what the 737 would look like dressed up in these liveries.

I may paint the 777 in TWA and PanAm just because I happen to like them, and they were icons in the airline world I grew up in (and was fortunate...and old enough, to have flown on them).

I don't mind taking requests, but I've pretty much retired from painting a while ago and really only paint when something comes out I want to fly and the paint doesn't exist (like when the EMB 175/195 came out and I painted her in a bunch of liveries, all posted here on Avsim).

If you send me a request, please don't expect me to jump right on it, if at all. I know that may sound rude, but so would saying I don't take requests so don't send me one. That's not completely true either...I do consider all requests, and if you happen to request one that meets a list of criteria, I'll paint her.

Just so you know, most painters have a criteria they follow (or should) when they decide to take a request or not:

1. Do I have the plane? I just finished a paint for someone where I didn't even own the plane, that is a tough way to paint, but can be done :)

2. Is there a paintkit? Is it a good paintkit?

3. Are the texture maps well designed and easy to copy your paint on to? I could write volumes on how a poorly designed texture map can increase the paint time by a factor of 10!

4. Have I painted the airline before? Most painters have a "portfolio" of airlines they've painted before and if so, it's a simple matter reusing all the textures you spent alot of time getting just right on another project.

5. How complex is the livery? Peter Maxx? forget it! Hehe...personally don't like the paint anyway.

6. And the last one...and if you meet this one, the paint is as good as yours: Does the painter want that livery as well, LOL!

So like I mentioned above, if you want the 777 in TWA (Twin Globe is the only real TWA livery in my eyes) or PamAm, you may be in luck. :)

Oh, one fun thing about painting fictionals, unlike a real life aircraft, is that you don't have to move a OneWorld or SkyTeam sticker 2 rivets to the left because someone points out how fake your paint would look if you didn't move it for them. :)

Regards,

Steve Dra

Freeware Painter (retired, hehe)

Nice work. I'd like to see the Trans World scheme.  Psst... your fuselages are weathered...  like they should be.  I'd like to see real weathering, where the paint is peeled back around the windscreen and radome, cargo doors, and nacelles where the primer is visible underneath.  Staining on the tops of the wings from the OTW caps, leaking rivets, LEF and TEF actuator and rotary points, etc.  Engine and APU drain staining.  Beyond my abilities.  BUT - I would pay for that.

Well, I see that there's not going to be a simple yes or no answer from PMDG.  Never hurts to ask.

Amen to that. You can't even see the engines from the cockpit.....

I thought if McPhat wanted to do repaints there is nothing stopping them......

Why the big song and dance?

The liveries you can get for the NGX and the 747 is just amazing, just from PMDG! They even have El Al! I mean tell me, what liveries don't they have?